PICS AND VIDS OF AIR INTAKES INSTALLED IN THE V6 and I4!!! - Page 41 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#401 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
so what would be the best/cheapest way to increase acceleration/torque a little (but noticeable) on the I4 without doing something too drastic like some sort of forced induction system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#402 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 PM

Just read through/skimmed this thread real quick. Wanted to point out a few things, if they were missed:

-Oiled filters, such as the K&N are famous for mucking up MAF sensors. Especially when they are over oiled, which is frequently done by over zealous first timers. Typically the MAF sensor is a heated wire, that the air flowing past cools down, so that more current/voltage must be added to keep the wire at the target temp. Add some oil mist/vapour, and you can bank on getting various MAF error codes.

-MAF mount/tube diameter must match the stock internal diameter EXACTLY. If the new intake has a larger tube, you can expect lean fueling related CEL/error codes. If the tube is smaller than stock, you can expect the opposite. The ECU calculates fueling with a bunch of inputs, but the single most important sensor input for fuel quantity calculation is the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor and tube that its mounted in are an engineered pair, meaning that the reading from the MAF is only accurate if it is paired with the stock diameter tube.

Hope that helps shed some light on this intake issue. If I end up with the 2007, 2GR powered RAV4, Ill probably end up building an intake for it. One that will use a dry filter, and the stock size MAF tube LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krazykat For This Useful Post:
dohcser (10-05-2012)
#403 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykat View Post
Hope that helps shed some light on this intake issue. If I end up with the 2007, 2GR powered RAV4, Ill probably end up building an intake for it. One that will use a dry filter, and the stock size MAF tube LOL.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
Weapon R Intk, Mgnflow Mfflr,
13.717@99.57mph
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/659...av4v6times.jpg
#404 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Kevin Thomas!

I just read your timeslip thread on Nasioc, Im 'cdnsigop' on that site LOL. I picked up a 2009 Rav4 V6 today. 41,000 km's, sport model 4x4 with the spare on the tailgate.

Will have to sort out an intake...
#405 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM

I noticed all or at least most of the pictures of the 3.5L with the K&N Typhoon intakes on this site are no longer hosted, so I was wondering if anyone can point me toward an actual photo of what it looks like? I did find one guy on cardomain that has it but it's hard to see the mass air meter insert or to tell if he used it at all. It's also hard to see how all the vacuum lines and stuff are routed. Photos are below of what he has. For those who have this installed or installed it in the past, did you literally follow the K&N instructions for installing it on a Camry 3.5L or did you have to wing it? I'm most concerned about the vacumm line and hose routing and not missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2009 Rav4 Sport V6 4x4 Classic Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Sport Appearance Package | OEM Tube Steps | OEM Roof Rack
2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport Velocity Red Mica | AWD | 2.3L Turbo | 6spd Manual | Lots of Modifications
#406 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykat View Post
Kevin Thomas!

I just read your timeslip thread on Nasioc, Im 'cdnsigop' on that site LOL. I picked up a 2009 Rav4 V6 today. 41,000 km's, sport model 4x4 with the spare on the tailgate.

Will have to sort out an intake...
Small world! Good to see you here. Been on NASIOC forever.

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph
#407 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Need to get some data at the track to see what the heck is going on. Car is 'sluggish' from idle to part throttle. Feels like low end torque was reduced. I don't trust my initial perception though because most of the time, I am wrong. Only installed it and came to work tonight. If the weather co-operates, I'll head to the track on Wednesday night. Wish I could race tonight somewhere. We actually have a frost advisory. Low temperature will be 34F. Supposed to rain on Wednesday.

In the meantime, I'll share something that has been bothering me for a bit but I haven't said anything. I stated before that I would not dyno the cold-air setup for comparison once I installed it. I may have actually done this without thinking about it. When I compared the short ram intake air filters of the Weapon-R and the S&B air, the S&B intake made approximately 216.54whp and 189.55lb-ft of torque at 6000rpm.
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...=23467&start=0

Then I went about and tested some aftermarket wheels for weight vs the stock runflats that were on.
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...highlight=dyno
The power curve is somewhat different because we learned how to get rid of the dips and dives in the rpm band by rolling the accelerator to full throttle. During the wheel tests though, I had the cold-air intake installed. Notice that the whp is around 210whp with either wheels with the 'cold-air' setup (6whp loss) and torque is around 182lb-ft average at 6000rpm (7lb-ft loss). Coincidence? Possibly! The same could be seen at the lower rpm ranges as well.

I haven't had a chance to overlap the graphs to show exactly what is going. This is why I wanted to get the best of both worlds, cold-air but freer/wider opening diameter of inlet piping to the maf sensor. I've used this dyno for years, ableit it was originally at a different shop/different location. Repeated dyno runs at different dates would normally have the hp/tq just about the same (+/- 2whp). I think something was going on with the 3" piping going into the fender vs just putting a filter on the inlet side of the maf sensor. It's hard to measure a short ram intake with the warmer air blowing on it under the hood vs a 'cold-air' setup at speed.

When I drove from the shop to pick my son up today, I only had the S&B filter installed with the 3" opening (My original air filter) on the maf sensor piping. Torque was less down low as well, the same thing that I feel now sort off. Torque down low definitely increased with piping connected to the inlet side of the maf sensor. I'm hoping this current setup with the 3.5" cold-air piping will give the best of both worlds. Some low end torque with the piping extending down to the bumper, increased mid range and high end horsepower, especially now that there is a hole where my foglight used to be.

Perhaps I'm just wasting my time. But experimenting is fun. If I decide to sell the 3" piping and silicone connectors, you have first dibs TRD. It'll include all the pieces and hose clamps that you'll need. It won't include the filter though (You have one currently). You won't want mine anyways. Will see how this goes though.
Excuse me folks but I have been reading through a lot of old posts to see if I missed something. I didn't follow through on my own information. Based on this, I need to test one more item based on this post. I'll be hooking up the 3.5" piping again but I need to find a silicone elbow that transitions from 3.5" to 3" on the maf sensor piece. That is key! Should have a 'funnel' affect at high rpms. 6whp and 7lb-ft of torque was lost with the cold-air setup. I do not want the filter to be sucking in hot engine bay air though, making me inconsistent.

Stock battery really didn't allow for the 3.5" piping to route past it at all. I had to struggle, push and squeeze the ECU and battery apart and wasn't comfortable with that. Now that the stock battery has been removed for a much smaller unit, there is much more space to work with. So this will not be an issue.

Will update with more info once I can find a transition piece to work with.

Updated (3/24/13) Found the transition piece on Ebay! Gawd, I'm excited. Hoping it gets here before hitting the track next weekend. Fully looking forward to seeing what the results will be.

Personal notes for later -->
Pressure loss info: Air intake tube size/power correlation? - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board
Pipeflow Calculations: Compressible air flow rate and pressure drop calculator
Pipe Dreams Article --> AutoSpeed - Pipe Dreams

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-24-2013 at 04:30 AM.
#408 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Can't leave well enough along. So here is the latest. I have just about all the pieces I need for this new intake. Intake setup will be as follows.

From Weapon R 3" maf piping

1) 3" to 3.5" 45 degree rubber coupler,

2) 3.5" straight pipe,

3) 3.5" to 4" 90 degree rubber coupler

4) 4" pipe ,

5) Large S&B air filter with 4" opening

I currently have pieces 2-5 and am waiting for the 3" to 3.5" 45 degree in the mail. None of the stores around me have this piece. The transition from 3.5" to 3" has to be smooth or the turbulence will screw up my maf sensor readings. I'm REALLY excited about this and am wondering how it will turn out.

Then current setup is on top while the new setup is on bottom. Disregard the first rubber piece on the bottom pipe. It is 3.5 - 3.5. I need it to reduce to fit the maf sensor piping. I just wanted to see how it looked next to my current intake. Makes my current intake piping look small.

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph
#409 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Just did some test runs. Check engine light did not come on. I still need the 3.5" to 3" 45 degree coupler but for now, I have a 3" rubber piece inside the 3.5" coupler I already have.

Car is reluctant to down shift. Almost like it has enough power already so why downshift. I dunno.....I need to get some hard numbers.

Update: Posted track results in this thread --> Intake Diameter Observation Dragstrip

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
#410 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 AM

I had a short ram intake installed on my 2012 rav4 v6. CEL, 4wd and TSC lights are on. another issue is it doesn't downshift anymore unless I mash the throttle.

just wondering if anyone experienced this before otherwise I'm putting the stock intake back. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page