Persistent but intermittent grinding brake problem - Page 6 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes...most calipers can be pushed back with a C-clamp. It's good idea to remove the brake reservoir cap first and slowly compress the clamp all the way back.

Kevin

Kevin

NB Canada

08 Rav Limited 4-cylinder

Amsoil synthetic oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to discus this. My 2006 Limited, which I just purchased for my wife, is a fantastic vehicle. We bought it from a little old lady who was the first owner. The proverbial ideal scenario.

Just a few days ago I when coming to a stop under medium braking (subjective I know) there was a tremendous grinding and a noticeable vibration just as the vehicle came to a stop. I could reproduce it almost every time unless I braked lightly. I was on the highway the other day and suddenly there it was again (without the braking and at highway speed) and it noticeably slowed us down. It lasted only a couple of seconds and then stopped with no bells, alarms, dash lights, and only one frightened wife.

Since then there has been no noise, nothing. Braking is s.o.p. However, yesterday the 4wd light came on and remains on. Having had new snow this past week, some of the side streets are messy. Without having anyone standing outside and watching, it seems that the 4wd does not engage when required.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Happy Rav owner

2006 Rav4 Limited
#53 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrav View Post
Hi. Can you really push the callipers back with a c clamp? I understood it could damage the abs system if you did. Or must you open the bleed before you push back? Thanks
While no damage occurs with the RAV4 brakes doing this, the advantage of opening the bleeder is that you are not pushing old moist fluid from the wheel cylinder back into the system.

2009 V6 4wd Base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page