Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

'07 Water pump Failure 3.5L V6

60K views 78 replies 43 participants last post by  Lester Lugnut 
#1 ·
Well the water pump is failing on our rav, 41K miles, We're stuck in out of town, The dealership has been great, they said it's covered under powertrain warranty, but they can't start working on it until monday, said the book is around 13 hours, glad this one is covered..... Sounds like it's pumping marbles....

We're going to end up renting a car to get home by sunday when we planned on being home and comming back to get it tuesday/wednesday.

Just thought I'd share. :)

#5 ·
RTexasF said:
Judging from what have read the engine has to come out to access the water pump.
Yep, I just checked the service manual. Here's step one:

1. REMOVE ENGINE ASSEMBLY
(a) Remove the engine (see page EM-21).

#6 ·
I have seen the engine and the water pump and no it doesnt have to be pulled out. it is tight but I do not think you need to pull out the engine. The book also says to pull the engine to replace the rear spark plugs and you don't have to do that to replace them. Dont always listen to the book. There are tons of ways around it.

#10 ·
mkperceptions said:
I have seen the engine and the water pump and no it doesnt have to be pulled out. it is tight but I do not think you need to pull out the engine. The book also says to pull the engine to replace the rear spark plugs and you don't have to do that to replace them. Dont always listen to the book. There are tons of ways around it.
If the book says to do it that way I doubt the dealer mechanic has much choice. By putting it in print that is the "official" and only Toyota approved method.

#11 ·
Nismopowered said:
They wont give you a rental? They should.
Nope, Should or shouldn't I'm not sure they are obligated, hell subaru gave me a rental for week when I had car problems. Not saying agree or that I didn't ask, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth it to argue about it.

In fact they couldn't even suggest a rental place to call, Bottom line I want my car fixed.

#15 ·
Just my .02 worth.... just had the water pump replaced yesterday
on our 06 limited 4-cyl w/45K miles = it took 1.5 hours under warranty.

I asked about the 6-cyl water pump replacement cuz I had seen this post.... the service tech said no need to pull engine..... also said water pump faiure on 4-cyl rare for them part so it had to be sourced as low to no need doesn't make it a stocked parts item..... replace all the coolant and reminded me to reset the expectation of changing coolant at 100K mile use mark to 145K.... IF ya had to remove an engine - 13 hour is about right for removal/reinstall.

#17 ·
Boy, didn't have major problems with my V6 RAV4 yet (except for the steering noise TSB), but between the water pump, whine, and oil leaks, it's not the most reliable machine.

#18 ·
water pump replace 2007 2wd 37100 kmiles

Just got back from dealer today and they told me the water pump was leaking. Tech said hour and half to fix, and was under warranty b/c I bought certified. Doesn't give me a good feeling. I've only had for six months and the rav only has 37100 kmiles. They didn't say they'd have to take out the engine.

#21 ·
When I dropped off my RAV for the 30K service, the dealership called me about an hour into the job to tell me the water pump was leaking and had to be replaced. They also told me they had to take the engine out to replace. It didn't take 13 hours, but it was there all day.

#22 ·
Hmmm seems they have some issues huh? Hopefully the new one will be better :?

On the bright side of things Toyota really stepped up for me and reimbursed me for my rental car for the 5 days, I got a good deal at $115 and the gave it back to me in full.

Bellevue Toyota In Nebraska did a great job going to bat for me with the rental, and I think they have modified their procedure to help out of towners 8) The did a great job overall, an Solid A from me. 8)

#26 ·
i just looked at the fluids in my engine compartment and notice the coolant level was way down......could this be water pump number 3?????????

i will have to get it looked at when they replace the v6 oil hose.

ok i am starting to get a little ticked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.