Whining noise at 40-50 mph solved? (updated on 8/26/10: TSB is out) - Page 100 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#991 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopena View Post
The white plastic sticker is located on the transaxle housing besides where the starter motor bolts into the case. It would partially block seeing the sticker when installed.
Paco
I can't see a sticker in that location. I remember there used to be one in the factory tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#992 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 PM

In my case the invoice notes a honed unit but the sticker on the trans says otherwise. The dealer says they don't always remove the old tags. Some rebuilt trans will have no tags, some old tags, possibly some have a new tag indicating the rebuilt trans has a honed or non honed unit. After it comes out of the shipping box its anybodies guess what it is? You would think they would tag the unit to identify it. Paco
#993 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM

Check the 2nd photo of #978. The sticker contains the part number and the serial number. Just below the part number 30510-4H202-84 is the serial number (for example, 12HL-0390P). The serial number is the one engraved on the tranny housing.
#994 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Hi Revved4, Thanks for pointing out the photo. The identifying sticker is attached to the torque converter and would not be visible once the unit is installed. I knew it had to be identified somewhere on the unit despite the dealers claim to the contrary. Paco
#995 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Paco,

So what did you find out? Did the serial number on the housing match the serial number in the sticker/workorder sheet?
#996 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Hi Revved4,
The sticker on the case itself appears to be from when the case was a new unit. The workorder only shows a part number not a serial number. The truth of the matter is likely on the torque converter which wouldnt be seen until the transaxle gets dropped. It may simply be a defective rebuild.

Paco
#997 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Paco,

I'm actually referring to the serial number etched outside the housing. This MUST match the serial number on the tranny sticker otherwise it's amiss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20121217_004.jpg (270.1 KB, 30 views)
#998 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Yesterday, I took my 2010 v6 with 50k in to fix the whinning, before my warranty is over. The service adviser(sa), at the beginning said they would charge $59.99 for diagnostic fee and reimburse if they fix it under warranty. I said 'nonsense' and insisted to have a mechanic to drive with me. So sa went back to garage and when he came back, he said that mechanic already knew about the whinning and right away he
started making the paper work. I asked if they can skip the stage I and order the tranny right away, and he said they had to follow the tsb.
And they knew the stage I would not fix anything. I guess they make money either way. Maybe they make more money doing 2 jobs for one issue.lol.
Hope they fix it correctly. Also they gave me a corolla loaner, since it might take
couple of days to fix.( I guess he was talking about stage I or do they already have a tranny in stock?)

Last edited by digi; 01-16-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: forgot to add some more comments
#999 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Hi Revved4,
The only sticker visible on the trans is the original, pre-rebuild sticker. The serial number originally stamped into the case does match the original sticker. My issue was that there is no sticker or tag visible that indicated the unit was one with the honed gear set. I have about a year left on the lease. If it gets bad it will go back for another trans. If it hangs in there till the end its Toyota's problem when they sell it off.

Paco
#1000 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM

I got my car back and the noise is gone !
It only took 3 days to do the job. I think they never did stage I,
because on my invoice, only list the tranny change and couple of
recall lists. BTW invoice shows 30510-4H190-84, so it is correct tranny, I guess.
Anyway, I am happy camper now. Complements to my dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page