Whining noise at 40-50 mph solved? (updated on 8/26/10: TSB is out) - Page 80 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#791 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeitz View Post
Most people in this thread are talking about "whining" but mine has shuddering/vibration too between 30-45 mph and while accelerating. Did you have shuddering with your RAV4?
I would wonder if your shuddering/vibration problem couldn't be caused by a bent wheel or a balance problem. You might rotate the tires, and see if your symptoms change.

2009 V6 4wd Base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#792 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 AM
avs
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Not that I know of. When I brought my RAV into the dealership, I presented them with a printout of T-SB-0192-10 which we have available on this forum. They told me I had done my research well and that was indeed the problem with my transmission. They performed it to the letter and ordered the exact part numbers as indicated on the TSB. If your dealer ordered and installed the wrong transmission, it's on them.
Call and file a complain with toyota corporate. Got a call back from "customer satisfaction" dept from the dealer and spoke to rep over the phone. From what the customer rep told me, the tranny was order by toyota corporate and ship directly to the dealer. They did confirmed to me that is the correct tranny. Is that how the warranty procedure works? Once they get an approval from the toyota engineer, toyota corporate place an order on the tranny and ship it directly to the dealer.
#793 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I would wonder if your shuddering/vibration problem couldn't be caused by a bent wheel or a balance problem. You might rotate the tires, and see if your symptoms change.
thanks Carbon! My RAV4 is shuddering (but not violently) in low speeds (20-45 mph) but looks quite okay in highway speeds. At these speeds, I feel like I am driving over rumble strips. I am just curious if there is a connection with whining issue? I will rotate the tire and see.
#794 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM
avs
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeitz View Post
thanks Carbon! My RAV4 is shuddering (but not violently) in low speeds (20-45 mph) but looks quite okay in highway speeds. At these speeds, I feel like I am driving over rumble strips. I am just curious if there is a connection with whining issue? I will rotate the tire and see.
Maybe you have to get the wheels re-balance as well.
#795 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Honed Transmission Still Whines 40-45 mph

My 2008 Rav4 had the tranny whining problem, and the dealer promptly installed the tranny called for by the service bulletin. I've verified that they used the part number available on this forum.

It took care of the whine 20-40 mph, but it whines 40-45 just like before. Anyone else with this problem? Any remaining solutions under warranty?

Thanks.
#796 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

I followed this thread closely (as I had tranny replaced too) and if it is indeed the correct reman tranny, looks like this is the first time it was reported not to work.
#797 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Helpful. Thanks.
#798 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM

My 2011 V6 RAV4 has slight humming/whining noise during light acceleration. It's only noticeable between 39-40 mph when my foot is on acceleration pedal, once I take it off the noise is gone. Is it the same issue everyone is having or it's something else? Would really hate to replace a transmission on a new car.

I am RAVing.....
#799 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 01:30 AM

Replacement Failed!

Ordered re-manufactured transmission per TSB related to "trans-axle whine" through dealer. Dealer installed new transmission under warranty. Old transmission whined during medium gear range. New transmission corrected whine in medium gear range, however; there is a new, louder whine in the low gear range. So it is now worse than before. Whack the mole comes to mind. Not only is it worse, a new problem has occurred. Immediately after I started the RAV4 today (not during starting), a noise came from the bottom of the car that sounded like a pop can being crushed. It lasted very briefly, but it was there. Also, the performance has suffered, and the drive feels more sluggish right now. Taking it back to dealer. Upon complaining about "low gear whine" right away, I was informed that it could be attributed to my driving style, and due to the computer being reset. I get the feeling Toyota couldn't care less.
#800 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian627 View Post
Ordered re-manufactured transmission per TSB related to "trans-axle whine" through dealer. Dealer installed new transmission under warranty. Old transmission whined during medium gear range. New transmission corrected whine in medium gear range, however; there is a new, louder whine in the low gear range. So it is now worse than before. Whack the mole comes to mind. Not only is it worse, a new problem has occurred. Immediately after I started the RAV4 today (not during starting), a noise came from the bottom of the car that sounded like a pop can being crushed. It lasted very briefly, but it was there. Also, the performance has suffered, and the drive feels more sluggish right now. Taking it back to dealer. Upon complaining about "low gear whine" right away, I was informed that it could be attributed to my driving style, and due to the computer being reset. I get the feeling Toyota couldn't care less.
Julian 627

What is update here? Is dealer going to do something about it? This is the second post talking about the new tranny not working. The new transmission is being installed in my RAV4 as I write. So by the end of the day or tomorrow I will find out if it is working. Will report back here.

2010 RAV4 SPORT V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page