Whining noise at 40-50 mph solved? (updated on 8/26/10: TSB is out) - Page 97 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#961 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
......and sure enough both tranny part numbers have the "H" in them just as revved4 stated. It looks like it's time to go to war with the dealer if they did indeed use the wrong part number.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times..."

I don't know but should I still go and work with the dealer who purposely installed the wrong transmission? Customer service called me today and said they are going to redo and replace the transmission accordingly. SMH.

Thanks for any advise.
#963 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved4 View Post
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times..."

I don't know but should I still go and work with the dealer who purposely installed the wrong transmission? Customer service called me today and said they are going to redo and replace the transmission accordingly. SMH.

Thanks for any advise.

You would think that the dealer that made the mistake would have to provide the correction.

It blows my mind that dealers make these mistakes. The service dept can't read? The parts dept can order the right parts?

Jeff
2007 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD 7-Passenger
#964 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 AM

I thought what the dealer did to my car was intentional. They knew very well what the TSB recommends yet they still managed to pull a fast one. Worse is they tried to convince me that it was the right part. In short, it was not a mistake. They did it on purpose. For whatever reason, I don't know.

Now time to find another dealer. I don't care if they have already ordered the right part.
#965 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a thought. What if the "regular" tranny is less expensive and the dealerships can make a better buck by using it instead? That would explain that epidemic of dyslexia at Toyota dealerships.
#966 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM

New to the forum here. My newly acquired 2011 Limited V6 4wd with 14k miles has the whine right at 40mph, but not bad yet. Thanks for all the great info in this thread! I see a new trans in my future. If Toyota has known about this for years, it really surprises me that they continue to put the faulty part in new cars.
#967 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnard View Post
If Toyota has known about this for years, it really surprises me that they continue to put the faulty part in new cars.
It doesn't surprise me if the "faulty" part is much cheaper, and only rare drivers notice the difference. It could be a net money saving for Toyota.
#968 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM

My 2011 Rav had the mounts replaced with no improvement. They replaced the transaxle with the "H" code unit and all was great for a couple thousand clicks. Guess what? The whine is back. Its a lease. Not sure if I want to bother going back. If it was my personal car you bet I'd complain.
The work order specifies the "H" unit. How can I tell if they screwed up and installed the standard unit? Wheres the code on the transaxle?

Paco
#969 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,126 Times in 815 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopena View Post
My 2011 Rav had the mounts replaced with no improvement. They replaced the transaxle with the "H" code unit and all was great for a couple thousand clicks. Guess what? The whine is back. Its a lease. Not sure if I want to bother going back. If it was my personal car you bet I'd complain.
The work order specifies the "H" unit. How can I tell if they screwed up and installed the standard unit? Wheres the code on the transaxle?
I had my transmission replaced 7400 miles ago and the whine never came back. If you look down behind your battery at the transmission, you might see a sticker with the part number but it could be blocked by the starter. There is also a black metal plate with the serial number/part number just below the vent tube in this photo:

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#970 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopena View Post

Paco
DO check the part number if at all possible. If yours is indeed the "H" replacement part number it is the only one to ever whine on this forum. Being as how it's a lease I understand why it may not even be worth the effort now that I think about it. My personal guess? No H in the part number.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page