Rav4 turbo? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rav4 turbo?

ive seen plenty of posts about turbos. i do know that the scion tc and xb are the same engines as the rav 4.3. turbos are available for tc's which means that it will work for the rav. my question to anyone out there who is savy about mechanics is what else would be required to add to the engine to not stress it. i've been hearing from a friend that u need a different manifold and 3 inch pipes running out. but i want to add turbo but before i do i want everyones info on doings so. i wont be doing it till next year but at least i will have all the info and a price average need to do so. thanks for all who write.

MEGATRON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Well I've added a turbo to an Integra GSR so I can tell you what I had to do. It could be different than the Rav4 but I haven't done any research. I'll also skip the part where I rebuilt the engine with lower compression and have the ability to boost 16lbs safely.

1) Verify your tranny will hold up or start looking into companies that can rebuild you a more bulletproof one.
2) Since there's no piggyback unit, assume you can only safely boost 6-8lbs. 6 for daily driving and you can crank 8 sometimes.
3) Since nobody makes an aftermarket ignition system, also assume you can't retard your timing. Which means you'll need to run higher octane gas
4) Check the size of your injectors and make sure it can pump enough gas.
5) You'll need to increase the pressure in your gas line so get a fuel rail and a fuel pressure regulator.
6) I'd run an intercooler if I were you
7) You'll need something to monitor your a/f ratio and adjust it.
8. Gauges to monitor everything. FPR, turbo, oil temp and some sort of pod to mount them (and you can't use pillar mounts due to airbags)
9) The all important turbo timer
10) Boost controller
11) money to dyno tune
12) SRI
13) heat shield
14) Wastegate
15) External BOV

That's what I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 PM

(Thread Starter)
thanks you. if anyone else has any suggestion please feel free to drop your opinions

MEGATRON
#4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Joshohoho
If adding a turbo is too much of a headache for you, try looking at the TRD Supercharger for the 2AZ-FE, they have them on the Scion TC. same 2.4L engine

Rav4 Daily Drive in the Philippines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDYHiHjODY
HIDs, take a look!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_U-uVVSO0
#5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Obviousy Zeoth is not lying when he said he has done this before. When I read the first post I was anxious to reply since I know a little about this stuff. (porsche tech 10 yrs ago and built a 500 hp AWD audi) But damn! Zeoth pretty much covered everything. Nice work!

With that being said, if there is any way at all you can swing it, start with the v6 for a performance upgrade. You have 100 hp advantage over the I-4. I have wanted to mod mine, but the performance returns for the money were not worth it, IMO. I have not seen any turbo kits that are bolt-on ready for the Rav. Seems like they are everywhere for the scion. I would talk with one of the performance chip tuners for the scion and see what direction they send you in.

The aforementioned supercharger is also an easier method, but will yield less ultimate power and have more parasitic engine loss. But definitely easier. You may be lucky to get 230-250 hp out of it at mild boost (7 lbs. ). Still less than a bone stock 6 cyl. kit will probably cost 3-4k, plus fine tuning.

Another route that I don't recommend is Nitrous oxide. The rule is that you can "safely" use half the stock engine hp for a shot. In this case roughly 80 hp or so. Nitrous can grenade your motor in a second if you are reckless with it and is expensive to fill if used often.

I would just start with a v6. Good luck if you pursue this. Take lots of pics and post up the build. I am sure there would be many interested people wondering how it turns out.

Good luck

Pete

This 4 banger actually tows.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Plus TRD discontinued the Supercharger for the 2az-fe. They had alot of problems with them and then decided that it wasn't worth investing more money in. Not enough interest I guess? I browse the Xb forums every week or so to see what those guys are doing with their engines since ours uses the same. The people on those sites that have put the $2000-$3500+ into turbo's for their Xb's and then dyno'd them still don't have as much hp as a bone stock V6 Rav. If you have the couple extra grand to do it, I'd trade in the 4cyl for the 6.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to paradigmsk8er
get the v6 then see about fitting a trd supercharger on there instead I would if I didn't want more clearance first
#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to pioneer411
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22084

here mine with turbo

Toyota Rav4.3 2AZ-FE + Turbocharger (7 Speed auto)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page