Dealer over fill the engine oil.. Now what?? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is important that the OP gets that oil level down sooner rather than later - it does matter.

Too much oil in the crankcase can result in bearing damage (if the crankshaft dips into the oil and froths it) and it can fool with the PCV valve. Those maximum levels on a dipstick aren't just to keep you from spending too much on oil or making a mess on your driveway - they are there to protect the engine.

That being said, this particular case doesn't look too serious, and the OP is handling the problem appropriately. But we shouldn't be giving people the impression that overfilling the crankcase is no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
Update 1.

OK guys.

I just got off from the phone with dealer service writer.
He basically is saying bring the car down to him so that he can take a look.
He keep telling me JUST over half of inch over the full oil level will not hurt the engine at all.

So Toyota put oil stick and mark as full is for decoration??? Just over half inch is fine??? Toyota manual clearly say don't over fill the oil. It can cause engine damage.

I don't understand how he can work at Toyota dealer even don't know the basic.

Yeah right!. If your blood pressure is just high over the dangerous limit, it will not hurt your health at all.

Anyway, he gave me tomorrow 10:00AM appointment.
I will see what will happen. I will keep update. They can be dealership or stealership. Their choice!!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Update 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skfnxh
So Toyota put oil stick and mark as full is for decoration??? Just over half inch is fine??? Toyota manual clearly say don't over fill the oil. It can cause engine damage.

Yeah right!. If your blood pressure is just high over the dangerous limit, it will not hurt your health at all.
Some vehicles can handle overfilling with no problems. As a matter of fact, it is standard operating procedure for BMWs where you overfill the crankcase by one full quart if you are taking it to the racetrack. The sump is deep enough that the crankshaft won't froth the oil even overfilled by that much.

As to why the manufacturer would allow usable capacity over the "full" mark, it is usually to accommodate inaccurate filling, or because the size/shape of the sump benefits cooling or pooling of oil in some way. In any event, I wouldn't worry about it unless you pull the dipstick out and you see the oil is milky looking. That is a sign that air has been whipped into the oil and that you'll need to drain some out.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two
Quote:

Some vehicles can handle overfilling with no problems. As a matter of fact, it is standard operating procedure for BMWs where you overfill the crankcase by one full quart if you are taking it to the racetrack. The sump is deep enough that the crankshaft won't froth the oil even overfilled by that much.

As to why the manufacturer would allow usable capacity over the "full" mark, it is usually to accommodate inaccurate filling, or because the size/shape of the sump benefits cooling or pooling of oil in some way. In any event, I wouldn't worry about it unless you pull the dipstick out and you see the oil is milky looking. That is a sign that air has been whipped into the oil and that you'll need to drain some out.
Thank you for your information.

I wonder if there is anything written/confirmed that RAV4 has such a usable capacity over the full mark. If you have such a source can you share with me?

There is another concern that I can smell burn from the car. It seems oil burn smell which I never had before.

If this is just your own opinion or just heard from somewhere, I am still worrying about my car engine.

Thanks.
#15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

overfilling the crankcase by 1/2 quart is no big deal. Which is what was shown on the dipstick. Don't overanaylze its not big deal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroMath
It is important that the OP gets that oil level down sooner rather than later - it does matter.

Too much oil in the crankcase can result in bearing damage (if the crankshaft dips into the oil and froths it) and it can fool with the PCV valve. Those maximum levels on a dipstick aren't just to keep you from spending too much on oil or making a mess on your driveway - they are there to protect the engine.

That being said, this particular case doesn't look too serious, and the OP is handling the problem appropriately. But we shouldn't be giving people the impression that overfilling the crankcase is no big deal.

========
Defender of the 4 banger!!!!

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/s.../2007_00010_01 <= website!
#16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your information.

I wonder if there is anything written/confirmed that RAV4 has such a usable capacity over the full mark. If you have such a source can you share with me?

There is another concern that I can smell burn from the car. It seems oil burn smell which I never had before.

If this is just your own opinion or just heard from somewhere, I am still worrying about my car engine.

Thanks.
All vehicles will have some excess capacity over the full mark. It's just a matter of how much.

The burned smell is unlikely to be from an oil overfill condition. You'd see bluish smoke from your tailpipe for one, and would probably throw a code for another. There also has to be some way for the oil to get into your cylinders to burn, and that won't have happened just because the oil got overfilled. More likely, some oil got on your exhaust manifold, downpipe, or catalytic converter, and that just takes a couple of weeks to burn off.

Again, if you see that your oil has a milky look (pull your dipstick right after driving it), you can assume that some rotating engine component is whipping the oil into a froth, and are then definitely overfilled. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't worry about it with the amount of overfilling that you showed on the dipstick.

If you did want to lower the oil level (I don't know if this would work - I'm just thinking out loud), I believe you could buy an oil filter and use the canister drain plug to let some oil out without removing the drain plug.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
Hello Guys,

I just came back from the dealer.
They double checked oil level again over there with me.

They told me the oil is about half quart over filled which will not hurt engine at all.
And it is not even worth to drain out.
Yes, as some of forum member posted.

Anyway, they put this into my service record. (Something like "Customer state oil level is too high but checked it normal."). Fortunately it didn't affect my engine but half quart or whatever amount of overfill is overfill.

So I decided to bring my own oil according to owner manual. (5.4 quart with filter is in the manual - I will bring 6 quart and check the remain). I asked them if I can bring my own oil and they say "Yes".

I will bring Mobil 1 5W30 from Costco (6 bottle of 1 quart oil) from now on.

Anyway, thank you for guys posting opinions. I learned my lesson.
Great forum.

Thanks.
#18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Ditto. I would be concerned if you went 5000 miles with it overfilled but, you didn't. If you can't let go you can send an oil sample off to get analyzed for around $30. Excess metal contamination will show up if it's there. Maybe you can convince the dealer to do it.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 AM

Maybe the idiot forgot to change the filter. Replacing with the "correct" amount of oil would explain the overfill and the color of the oil.
#20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I told you .. I have been putting in 6 quarts for almost 4 years in out Rav.. almost 30k miles.

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I just came back from the dealer.
They double checked oil level again over there with me.

They told me the oil is about half quart over filled which will not hurt engine at all.
And it is not even worth to drain out.
Yes, as some of forum member posted.

Anyway, they put this into my service record. (Something like "Customer state oil level is too high but checked it normal."). Fortunately it didn't affect my engine but half quart or whatever amount of overfill is overfill.

So I decided to bring my own oil according to owner manual. (5.4 quart with filter is in the manual - I will bring 6 quart and check the remain). I asked them if I can bring my own oil and they say "Yes".

I will bring Mobil 1 5W30 from Costco (6 bottle of 1 quart oil) from now on.

Anyway, thank you for guys posting opinions. I learned my lesson.
Great forum.

Thanks.

========
Defender of the 4 banger!!!!

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/s.../2007_00010_01 <= website!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page