ABS, Brake, VSC, and Slip Warning lights are on - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
ABS, Brake, VSC, and Slip Warning lights are on

I have a 2007 I4 Rav4 with roughly 45k on it and as the title says, I've got some warning lights on. The ABS, Brake, VSC, and Slip Warning lights all came on and it appears that I lost my stability control and ABS. It was on for nearly my entire trip home but then they went off and VSC and ABS functions were restored (I tested it )

My question is has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what was the fix? I checked the brake fluid and it appeared to be full but it was hard to see because it's dark and I didn't have a flashlight. I plan on checking the brake fluid again in the morning and taking it to the dealer. Good thing it's still under warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 AM

I've got exactly the same problem on 2006 D4D. Code reader says no faults. but lights are still on.

Had a genuine Toyota towbar electrics fitted 4 months ago, could this be the link?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, took it to the dealer and didn't get any codes. Tried to charge me 60 bucks too . Moron told me that one of my tires is starting to wear and that's why the sensor is on, because I'm loosing traction. What a bunch of BS, I know the difference between the slip warning light coming on because you're losing traction and what is happening. I'm currently on vacation so I'm thinking about waiting and taking it to the dealer near my home. All four lights will come on when I start the car or soon after I start driving, stay on for a while, then shut off after about 20 minutes of driving.

It's also been snowing lately and am thinking that there is a possibility that snow, ice, salt, and dirt and somehow messing up the sensor and causing a warning light. Which is pretty messed up because I'd imagine that in the snow is one of the places where you'd want your ABS and VSC to actually work
The Following User Says Thank You to Squally For This Useful Post:
Alkordek (12-29-2012)

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Just rolled over 101,000 Km (62,000 miles). I had the following 3 yellow codes on the dash: check engine, VSC and 4WD. (Canada may have different symbols here.)

Took it in to the local Toyota dealer. First thing they asked was if the tires were low. They were previous to the event and I happened to notice and filled them to spec about a week before going to the dealer.

The dealer saw the indicator lights but couldn't find anything wrong. They tried swapping the #1 and #3 coils and found no change. They then cleared the codes (something like a reboot, the way it was described to me). Total cost: $112.

I probably could have done the same thing by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds.

Cheers.

Update.....

Even after the dealer visit (above) the same 3 dash lights have now returned: check engine, VSC and 4WD. Sometimes the warning lights do not illuminate but most often they do. Any ideas out there such as cleaning the wheel sensors somehow so that I can avoid the possible $800 fix?

Cheers.

Third update and hopefully final ....

Tried replacing the gas cap ($32). My guess... No luck.

Based on diagnostic codes, second ignition coil was replaced 4 days ago and so far all is running properly with no disco dash lights. In Canada, costs were 1 hour for analysis ($120), 0.2 hours ($24) labour to replace the coil and the cost of the coil ($137).

Cheers.

Ottawa, Canada
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Took it back again today with the lights on this time. Found out it was a rear wheel speed sensor. Good thing it's covered under warranty otherwise it would have cost me 800 bucks
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 AM

Further to previous post I have now found this reference to a Toyota bulletin:

DIGITAL INSTRUMENT PANEL
· TSB #TSB-0047-09 -- TOYOTA: MULTIPLE WARNING LIGHTS ILLUMINATED, VEHICLE NOT SHIFTING FROM PARK TO DRIVE, AND OTHER ACCESSORIES BECOMING INOPERATIVE AFTER VEHICLE HAS COLD SOAKED IN SUBFREEZING AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURES. *PE UPDAT(NHTSA ID #10028225, MAY 08 2009)

Does any have a copy of the bulletin or knowledge of the contents. It was minus 3 when this fault occurred on my car
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,395 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynoble
Further to previous post I have now found this reference to a Toyota bulletin:

DIGITAL INSTRUMENT PANEL
· TSB #TSB-0047-09 -- TOYOTA: MULTIPLE WARNING LIGHTS ILLUMINATED, VEHICLE NOT SHIFTING FROM PARK TO DRIVE, AND OTHER ACCESSORIES BECOMING INOPERATIVE AFTER VEHICLE HAS COLD SOAKED IN SUBFREEZING AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURES. *PE UPDAT(NHTSA ID #10028225, MAY 08 2009)

Does any have a copy of the bulletin or knowledge of the contents. It was minus 3 when this fault occurred on my car
Sure! You'll find it right here:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19527

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM

I've the same problem. Took to dealer today & fault code C0210 showed up. Answer: to renew abs sensor. He said Toyota might pay (which suggest they are aware of problem) I've found TSB BR011-06 which details this fault. The bulletin was dated 1/12/2006. Anybody else had the sensor problem?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 PM

I had the malfunction lamp, VSC and 4WD warning lights all come on yesterday morning when i started my 08 Rav4 for work in the morning.
I took it to the dealership and it turns out that my fuel cap was loose. problem solved.

lesson: check your fuel cap, 4wd lock and vsc button (if you have one) befor taking it in
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 AM

[stargrit: I had the malfunction lamp, VSC and 4WD warning lights all come on yesterday morning when i started my 08 RAV4 for work in the morning.
I took it to the dealership and it turns out that my fuel cap was loose. problem solved.

lesson: check your fuel cap, 4wd lock and vsc button (if you have one) befor taking it in
]

I have a similar problem (VSC, ABS, 4WD & BrakeLights always ON) after body repair was done to fix a collision-damaged rear-end (posted as a new topic on 2011-01-21 under 4.3 Mechanical). It stayed in the shop for 2 weeks on -20C to -30C weather here in Edmonton.

I appreciate your feedback but I'm just bothered how could a fuel cap trigger such alarm? Other posters also suggest a weak battery but it appears to me as a sensor issue or perhaps a frozen relay. Just wondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page