drive shaft torque - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
drive shaft torque

I'm going for my 5K service tomorrow. One of the additional maintenance items is "re-torque drive shaft bolt", a useless description if there ever was one. What bolt(s) are they talking about and what is the recommended torque? Thanks for your knowledge!

2009 RAV4 Base 4WD, Barcelona Red Metallic, extra value package, P225/65R17 tires (M+S and winter), XM radio, body side moldings, mud flaps, chrome exhaust tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Retorquing of the propeller shaft bolts is supposed to be done every 15k miles. If you are at only 5k you should wait and do it as the book says. There are 3 sets of bolts: front, center and rear. The front and rear ones are to be torqued at 26 ft*lbs (or 35 Nm) while the center ones are to be at 27 ft*lbs (or 36.8 Nm).
They all should be quite easily visible from underneath along the propeller shaft.
I have a V6 engine so these values are for V6 / 5 speed / AWD powertrain - taken from the service manual.
Not sure if the same torque values apply for 4 cyl / 4 speed / AWD.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply. The service instructions for the vehicle I own calls for retorquing every 5,000 miles if the vehicle is driven over washboard, dusty roads. Since I live on one and often drive on others, I'm going to have it done. I just don't know how much to tighten them.

2009 RAV4 Base 4WD, Barcelona Red Metallic, extra value package, P225/65R17 tires (M+S and winter), XM radio, body side moldings, mud flaps, chrome exhaust tip
#4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo
Thanks for the reply. The service instructions for the vehicle I own calls for retorquing every 5,000 miles if the vehicle is driven over washboard, dusty roads. Since I live on one and often drive on others, I'm going to have it done. I just don't know how much to tighten them.
The lawyers put this check into the service schedule. It is a good idea to look at the bolts, hang a wrench on them and see if they are loose. Otherwise, don't try to "retorque" them.

If they are loose, there is some other problem that needs to be addressed. Normally they will never loosen. I don't know 100%, but I expect they were installed with thread sealant, and you don't want to break that seal by turning the bolts.

Another option is to clean them really well and paint a witness mark on each fastener. Then you can visually check to see if they have moved. There may already be some marks - I can't recall. It's been a while since I checked mine.

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Ditto, Johns comments. Toyota made the same recommendation for wifey's 99 Lexus RX300. She has over 170k miles on the clock. When the RX was new I'd retorque those bolts religiously only to find that they were always perfect. I stopped wasting my time at about 80k miles.

One bit of advice to those tq'ing them is to use a good tq wrench and not just guess. I am not sure about the RAV but many of those joints use needle bearings that can easily get crushed if one gets overly zealous and over tqs them.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 AM

My '07 4WD has 105K and I've never had this done, at least per se. I've had the dealer do all the oil changes / check fluid levels, etc., so I expect they've taken good care of the vehicle. When I bought the vehicle, they tried to sell me on their super check everything all the time service plan for a huge cost. I declined, something that didn't make them too happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page