Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Spare tire noise is driving me nuts!!

54K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  Skenol 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, my rav4 is making this weird squeaking noise like a wet sneaker on the spare tire, yes it is the spare tire because when I remove it it stops making the sound. I added grease to the nuts and the base were the spare goes and still the noise is there. It seems like the spare is making contact with the rear door but I don't see it anywhere. Anyone have had this experience?? Please Help!

#2 ·
Can't say that I have. I've rotated tires twice so far, and no squeeking. Perhaps it could be your car jack that is stored in the rear side compartment rattling or making contact with the metal.

You can access it by opening the plastic compartment behind where your taillights are.

#3 ·
It might be the weight of the tire causing the door itself, to move up and down slightly.

I suggest lubricating the latch mechanism,hinges, and any of the rubber bumpers on the door that make contact with the body of the RAV.

Rick

#6 ·
I assume one of the first things you checked was how tightly the tire was attached. Be sure it is securely attached. I can imagine a loosely attached tire could make noise from shifting. :shrug:

#10 ·
I know there are "spacers" that go on the lugs if I can recall from memory correctly. When you put the lugs on the steel spare on the door you use these spacers. When you mount the alloy you dont use the spacers.

Second thought as I know the squeeking noise when I put it on the door is I would look for any mounding bolts near the top of the door as when I try to put the spare on, I rub the bottom and it squeeks. You might have the lugs tight (assumption) but make sure what the lugs are mounted to are correctly tight. Not sure if they are bolts or welded.

#11 ·
Colonel said:
I know there are "spacers" that go on the lugs if I can recall from memory correctly. When you put the lugs on the steel spare on the door you use these spacers. When you mount the alloy you dont use the spacers.
In the 2009 User's Manual page 444 it says
Vehicles with aluminum wheels
and a steel wheel for the spare:
Remove the plastic rings from
the wheel nuts of the spare tire
carrier.
So that would not apply to those who have steel wheels all around. I thought I had maybe missed something on my car.

#13 ·
I've got the same problem here.

I think it has to do with the weight of the spare on the rear door. Never had that problem til the wife ended up getting a flat, removed flat tire, installed spare, bought new tires, put spare back onto rear door, and that's when I noticed the squeaking/rubbing noise. It comes and goes.

#14 ·
I have recently been noticing a higher pitched rattle not quite a squeak comming from the back, I wonder if it is related to this? I have been trying to track it down for a couple of weeks and it is staring to drive me nuts. It doesn't happen all the time but there are spots on my commute I know it will happen, there is a correlation between road surface and speed. It only happens speeds above 45mph and on rougher surfaces (i.e. not black top).

SS-

#15 ·
I had this squeaking noise as well and it took me months to figure out how to stop it. I thought it was the tire as well as it stopped when I took the tire off. Turns out it was the door itself that was making the noise. What I did was wrap a little strip of duct tape around the metal bar the rear door locks into when you close it. As soon as I did that the squeak went away. The tape eventually wears away from opening and closing the door so I just re-tape it about once every other month. Give it a try and see if it works for you. :)

#23 ·
I did the same thing almost 2 yeas ago. It really works.

#17 ·
I tried tape over the week end and that didn't fix mine, I think my rattle is coming from some where else. I think I have narrowed the noise down to the interior panels covering the wheel humps. I wedged a peice of wood between the wheel humps right above the metal tie down hooks and the noise is almost completely gone. Now I just need to figure out what is causing it.

SS-

#18 ·
Not sure it it causes any noise, but I noticed the back half of the spare tyre cover, the bit between the body and the wheel, on mine was loose, it just screws onto the body. I have to take it off again because there is alot of dirt behind it on mine, and I'm not sure it a bigger wheel/tire combo will fit.

#19 ·
Folks- don't think I am unsympathetic but it is such a relief to read this thread. I've had my '06 Rav$ for about 3 months. I love her ... but there is that annoying squeaking sound that reminds me to two chipmunks having an argument! The only thing that I have figured out is that it is not the suspension or the bushings, so I am going to try each of these ideas in turn! Thank you!

#20 ·
Daggyr said:
Folks- don't think I am unsympathetic but it is such a relief to read this thread. I've had my '06 Rav$ for about 3 months. I love her ... but there is that annoying squeaking sound that reminds me to two chipmunks having an argument! The only thing that I have figured out is that it is not the suspension or the bushings, so I am going to try each of these ideas in turn! Thank you!
Check the back door latch. Some have reported that a wrap of tape on that u-shaped bar that the latch fastens to can cure it temporarily.

#22 ·
Hi all! This is my first post, I just purchased a 2007 Rav4 Limited 6cyl. and the noise from the spare tire is unmistakable. Some days are worse than others. I haven't tried any of your suggestions yet but I have considered getting some thing cloth material and trying to put that between the tire and the back door.

#24 ·
I have no noise problems from my 2006 which kinda surprises me because when closing the rear door the tire & cover rattle a fair amount which I really don't like. But with no problem going down the road I'm leaving it alone.

Did have a VERY ANNOYING squeak in the back of my father-in-law's '98. Determined to find it, I had my wife drive thru a dirt parking lot with me kneeling on the back floor. Pushed on all the plastic and the rear seats - no change. It wasn't from inside the car altho it sure sounded like it. Finally found it. The lower door hinge had the telltale red dust of lack of lubrication on the pivots. Couple of squirts of oil = silence!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.