Sounds Like Dragging Tin Cans [solved] - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sounds Like Dragging Tin Cans [solved]

Hello everyone,

Two days ago I went to drive my Rav 4 out of the parking garage it had been parked in for roughly a week and when I started to go it sounded like I was dragging tin cans behind me. I stopped and inspected everything-rear breaks, exhaust, the whole 9 yards. Once I had been driving a bit then, the sound went away. I parked my RAV back in the garage that night, and came back to drive it the next evening and it did the same thing all over again.

The parking garage was only about 30 degrees (F)-so it was not THAT cold and I have never heard my RAV do this before even in colder temps.

Also, about a week ago I started occasionally smelling a used-oil smell while driving and it has been doing this on and off ever since. I did check my engine oil level and it is right at full. I have always changed my oil at approx 4,000 miles and right now I am due for a change in about 500 miles.

Not sure if the two problems could be related. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

PS From what I can tell while driving the sound appears to be coming from the rear of the car somewhere.

--aapitten--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

maybe a loose heat shield for the rattle?

To The BlackMobile!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
hmm I will take a look at that, but why would it go away after ~5 minutes? And it only makes the sound when in motion-and at that mainly only in drive... if it were a rattle shouldn't it do it if I rev the engine in neutral?

--aapitten--
#4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,139 Times in 823 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Could be the brake rotors got rusty--mine do if I don't drive it for a day and then they are noisy for a short time. Also check to see if you have a piece of gravel stuck between the dust shield and the rotor.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM

possibly a rock behind the rotor shield. they can be elusive as they bounce around in there and sometimes get where they are touching the rotor and sometimes not. I had it once and the local buy bent the shield out just a little so that there was more space on the bottom than the top, so that in theory if the rock got in, it can easily fall out.

Regards,
Mike
#6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapitten
hmm I will take a look at that, but why would it go away after ~5 minutes? And it only makes the sound when in motion-and at that mainly only in drive... if it were a rattle shouldn't it do it if I rev the engine in neutral?
Its really hard to diag noises over keyboards unless it is a common complaint. But it could be a heat shield that is heating up and expanding overtime to change the inference for the rattle. And when you shift into neutral, the NVH(noise, vibration, or harmonics) is changed. Or as mentioned, it could be a stone within the brake system.

But that you also smell "used oil" is not common to either of the above-mentioned issues. By saying "used oil-smell" do you mean a "burnt oil smell"? If yes, I'll venture other possible issues: you have a rear wheel bearing starting to go, or a problem with the rear differential. Both can cause intermitten rear noises when first starting to fail.

So all of the above are potential areas to inspect.

I think the OP has a valid issue as a "dragging tin cans noise" is not normal. But I wonder how many of the recently started drivetrain/mechanical topics are some Rav4 owners being hypersensitive to any perceived-drivetrain abnormality due to the recent focus on the recalls? IMHO, I'd bet many are driving with no radio on for the first time ever, trying to listen/feel for any potential issues.

Other Big-Boy Toys:
1990 ZR-1
2001 Yamaha V-Max(with carb & exhaust upgrades)
1996 HD Road King(fender emblems read RoadKill)
2003 Bombardier Traxter ATV
2001 Skidoo MXZ800 Adrenaline
#7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
I had heard of the rock on the rotor shield and tried to check that but didn't find anything.... I still haven't had a chance to go under and check the heat shield. I will do that this week hopefully as it was making the sound again today after being parked outside for a day in below freezing temps...

I had kind of thought about the whole NVH thing too, but I guess I should have mentioned I have it in drive and hold it with the break and it doesn't do it unless i start idling/ accelerating forward, which probably means it is something that moves only when the wheels move.

When I say 'used oil' I guess I have never really smelled 'burnt oil' to tell the difference, but i mean that smell oil gets normally at ~4-5k miles of use-right before an oil change. Does burnt oil have a similar smell?

Since it is so cold around here I may end up leaving it at my dealer overnight since they tend to be very good. I will let you guys know what I/ they can figure out.

I do agree with you about the hypersensitivity, but I heard this noise with my radio on at a 'normal' volume (probably between 10 and 20 on the JBL) and I surely would have noticed it before sometime I didn't have the radio on. I do totally agree about a lot of other issues though. If I record the sound sometime are we able to upload sound files to the forum?

--aapitten--
#8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Check diff ans transfer oil levels.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the responses everyone! This weekend I finally got a chance to take a close look at everything. It ended up there was a stone stuck between the rotor shield and the rotor on the rear right tire. Problem solved!

--aapitten--
#10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM

glad to hear it

Regards,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page