2008 water pump failed - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,171 Times in 846 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Has anybody done this themselves? I suppose the water pump is powered by the timing belt, which would indeed make it a PITA to get at.
There is no timing belt on your 2008 RAV4, it uses timing chains. The water pump is driven by the serpentine belt. Inspect the area around the pump for a pinkish residue--this would be dried up coolant. Also look on the underside of the hood, sometimes it gets slung up there. If it were leaking, you would probably smell coolant. If a bearing was going out, you would hear the noise.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, good to know. Since the WP is driven by the serp belt I am more optimistic it is a do-able DIY project.

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#63 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 AM

We have an 08 Camry, 2.4 I4, and the water pump went at 67k miles. Took it into my local garage, and it was replaced for $286. Just my .02.

2010 RAV4 V6 4WD Sport SAP
....Tow Prep Package
....Toyota OEM hitch
....7-pin wire harness
....Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
....1993 Sunline 17' Travel Trailer
2008 Camry SE I4 (wifey's car)

(Normal Driving)

(Towing)
#64 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM

67,000 miles and had to replace water pump to the tune of $573. Will be writing Toyota. Anything else I need to worry about?
#65 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:55 PM

85,000 miles on my 06' rav sport v6...went in for oil change at dealer today and told water pump is leaking...curious that they knew to inform about this...hmm...found new part online for $75, but my concern is labor to get it installed...and really pissed at toyota for another less than par quality component in this vehicle. First issue was the vvt oil line, then starter coil bad....i am seeing a trend of bad parts or less then par quality parts being put into these vehicles...I did fill coolant a while back noticing it was low when it was under warranty, but just found out about how wide spread this issue is....everyone needs to call toyota and bitch about this...
#66 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenn View Post
85,000 miles on my 06' rav sport v6...went in for oil change at dealer today and told water pump is leaking...curious that they knew to inform about this...hmm...found new part online for $75, but my concern is labor to get it installed...and really pissed at toyota for another less than par quality component in this vehicle. First issue was the vvt oil line, then starter coil bad....i am seeing a trend of bad parts or less then par quality parts being put into these vehicles...I did fill coolant a while back noticing it was low when it was under warranty, but just found out about how wide spread this issue is....everyone needs to call toyota and bitch about this...
same thing happened to me, went for an oil change they told me that water pump is leaking, it was evident...

I haven't changed mine yet, it's still going strong no problems or noises what so ever and no coolant is missing at all! So I will give it a go till next service.

2008 RAV4 2.0 VVT-I 4WD
#67 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Bump the thread......since I've had some questions regarding installing a auxiliary tranny cooler, I went over to the neighbor's to look at their '09 I4 RAV to better understand that funky "hockey puck" style factory tranny cooler. Popped the hood to have a look and 1st thing I see.......coolant reservoir bone dry and the dried pink crud stains on the front of the motor. It's covered under warranty (only 30K miles) but the local 'yota dealer says 1 week to order in a new water pump.

'09 RAV4 V6 Ltd - Yep, it's gotta HEMI
#68 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

I am curious how many garages are using the correct inspection and diagnostic steps before just replacing the water pump?

There is a T-SB-0117-11 that walks through the appearance of coolant outside the system near the weep hold, pulley and hood. Its a good read and basically indicates that the weep hole is also for temporary blockages between the mating ring and seal ring. It will result in weeping until the blockage is resolved and the mechanical seal is returned. Meaning that quite often there will be residue on this pump assembly in some form or fashion.

When I did my coolant change last month, I had hood sling residue and a fair amount of build up on the weep hole. I was expecting to have to replace the WP for sure. But what was a lot to me only resulted in "light coolant deposits" per the document. I have no consumption of coolant, no squealing to date...so only long term time will tell.

I had some black debris that I did flush out of the system over quite a few gallons. I am curious if I flushed out that blockage or if moving to the Toyota Red altered something? Its nothing Ill be able to prove it one way or the other.

But I am curious if water pumps are being replaced prematurely in some of these vehicles just because there is some presence of "coolant deposits".

2007 Rav 4 2AZ-FE (Auto )
1991 MR2 3S-GTE (Gen III, 5 Spd )
2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited (Auto )
#69 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
But I am curious if water pumps are being replaced prematurely in some of these vehicles just because there is some presence of "coolant deposits".
No doubt they are.

My stealership, when I had the car in for something else, recommended I replace my 'failing water pump'. I wasn't thrilled with them already, so I declined (they were pulling that scary-safety-ohmygosh act they do on us women).

I've gone to two independent mechanics since then for brakes, oil change, and asked them to look at the water pump. Both said pretty much the same thing - some small amount of pink residue, nothing they'd touch or repair.
#70 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Hi Barnes 1209. Same thing with me. 08 RAV4 V6 4wd 36k Ltd..but no tow pkg. Defective bearing noise, non noticeable antifreeze loss. Dealer replaced waterpump under warranty with no fuss. (3 hours to replace). It is so quiet in the truck-let now and no grinding noise between 25 and 45 mph. when there is pressure on the drive line, no noise for the first time since i bought it at 28k miles. . AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.
Happy Thanksgiving Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page