2008 water pump failed - Page 8 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#71 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post

I had some black debris that I did flush out of the system over quite a few gallons. I am curious if I flushed out that blockage or if moving to the Toyota Red altered something? Its nothing Ill be able to prove it one way or the other.
Hi, could you please elaborate what exactly did you do? I'm planning to flush my system too, but unclear how to proceed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to gstoneburn Send a message via Yahoo to gstoneburn
Has anyone replaced the water pump themselves?
(V6 engine)

Gordon F. Stoneburner
#73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneburn View Post
Has anyone replaced the water pump themselves?
(V6 engine)
I don't believe so. Toyota says the engine has to come out but some techs have found a workaround from what I've read. It's not a DIY friendly job either way.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#74 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Bummer, I was hoping it was DIY friendly...guess I shouldn't be surprised it isn't as easy as a water pump on a Chev 350!

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Do the newer ravs have water pump issues (say 2010+) just curious.
#76 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Garage
2008 I4 AWD sport dealer will replace water pump at 50,183 miles. Definitely leaking onto pulleys and belt. Solid white crystals are on the inside of the hood (the black felt material) directly above the belt and pulleys. Service was kind enough to show me the signs of leakage (although no leaks, pink crust, etc were ever found on my driveway, garage, work parking lot, etc): 1) markings inside the hood, 2) pink crust lodge inside the pulleys, 3) white marking across the belt and on the pulleys. All evidence that supersedes the TSB on how to diagnose the water pump leak (search forum for TSB 011711).

Fortunately I have the 100K platinum $0 deductible VSA to cover all the expenses related to this issue. A new but of course similar WP will be replaced at no charge. According to service rep and tech, very possible the pump began to leak nearly 4-5months ago (i.e., about 42-44k miles). I think way earlier since I remember seeing the debris on the inside of the hood about 1-1.5 years ago when applying belt dressing to the belt; i assumed it was related to the belt dressing... boy was I wrong.
#77 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM

Same thing happened to my 2007 4cyl with 116 k on it, the bearing inside the water pump was making loud noises. I got it fixed and the engine is unbelievably quiet.
#78 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM

I think I am in the same boat. Just took Rav in today and had a rumbling noise based on where it was in the engine I think it is the tensioner or water pump bearings. I have not noticed any coolant leaks.

I will let you know later today. 09 Rav with 77,000km so should be covered under warranty.

Yup it was the water pump that went, it is being replaced under warranty and I am getting the belt replaced at the same time.

2009 Rav4 V6 Sport

Last edited by rip-cord; 01-16-2013 at 02:22 PM.
#79 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM

So the story continues. The water pump was replaced but I went out for a drive tonight and the temp gauge started climbing. Came home and all the coolant had leaked out and guess where it is coming from... the water pump the dealer just replaced. Luckly it didn't overheat but now I have to limp it back to the dealer to get it fixed again luckily it is cold here. This is getting annoying. Anyone have a similar problem? The dealer better give me a car for the day as I need the Rav and I can't be without our only car another day.

2009 Rav4 V6 Sport
#80 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-cord View Post
So the story continues. The water pump was replaced but I went out for a drive tonight and the temp gauge started climbing. Came home and all the coolant had leaked out and guess where it is coming from... the water pump the dealer just replaced. Luckly it didn't overheat but now I have to limp it back to the dealer to get it fixed again luckily it is cold here. This is getting annoying. Anyone have a similar problem? The dealer better give me a car for the day as I need the Rav and I can't be without our only car another day.
Wow that really sucks. I hope they will take care of this for you. My fear is these "new" WPs are refurbs of the same defective ones.

I recently have noticed the following:

1. On cold start ups i get a rattle that last 1-2 secs
2. Coolant has dropped and it was installed within the last 2k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page