2008 water pump failed - Page 9 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#81 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Our water pump saga

My wife's 2008 V6 Limited (which we have been very pleased with generally) started getting noisy around the water pump area about two weeks ago ... just as the odometer turned 60,000 miles (naturally). Within days it was so noisy that it was clear what was wrong. There was never any visible sign of leakage and we never needed to add coolant. Once I started looking into what it took to replace the pump, I was pretty upset.

I called Toyota Customer Service and they told me to have it inspected by a dealer and fax the estimate to them and they would review the situation. Somehow I got the wrong fax number, and we couldn't realistically wait to have the car repaired, so we let the dealer start on the approximately $650 estimate. Obviously they've figured out how to do the repair without removing the engine. It was fixed in about three hours and the dealer discounted it 10% to a total of $593. They said they found some evidence of leakage, but it was not obvious from above.

A couple days later Toyota called and said they'd cover the repair. In my fax, I made it clear that I knew from this forum that this was an ongoing problem with this engine. So it ends well ... but it's still way too early for a water pump failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#82 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:26 AM

Hello, I have the same problem and only had 54000 on a V6 2008, Thank god it was covered and it didn't cost a dime. I have had Toyota's since 1984 and love them. The Rav is a great vehicle. I use it to tow my 17' boat and you don't even know it's behind the car.
#83 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM

I have 2010 v6 with 51k miles. So far no leaks...
But this whole early failure rate worries me.You know, it might go bad
right after the warranty is gone.

Does anybody know, if 2010 model has better water pump?
#84 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM

"preventive maintenance" for water pump

Digi, had I known about this problem earlier, I would have had more of my regular services done by a dealer (I use a friend's independent import shop most of the time for non-warranty work) and I would have asked that they check the water pump for leaks every time. I would have also made sure that the inspection was noted on the receipt every time. Even though our car wasn't losing any significant amount of coolant, they said it showed some leakage, so that would probably be the first indication of the problem. Toyota knows there is a problem or they wouldn't be on their third part number for the replacement pumps. Anything to paper your trail on this issue would give you a leg up dealing with Toyota Customer Service if you had a failure shortly after the warranty expires.
The Following User Says Thank You to richashley For This Useful Post:
digi (02-07-2013)
#85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM

richashley, thank you for your comment. That's very good idea to ask the dealer to check the water pump, so I have something on the paper.So far , I did all my oil changes in the same toyota dealer. So next time I go for oil change, I will ask them to check the water pump.
#86 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Finally it was my turn...The bearings went out on my 08 Rav 4 Limited with 57K mile. It started making the metallic noise about about 2 weeks ago and yesterday it was getting real loud. I took it in for service at the local dealership and the estimate for repair came out to $900. Unfornately I purchased the vehicle from private party about 2 years ago and did not purchase the extended powertrain warranty believing that I was not qualified given I was not eligible for the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. I plan on calling and writing to Toyota about all the problems related to WP failure and will request a refund. Will keep you all posted.

2008 Rav 4 Limited V6 4WD
#87 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,143 Times in 826 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec View Post
Finally it was my turn...The bearings went out on my 08 Rav 4 Limited with 57K mile. It started making the metallic noise about about 2 weeks ago and yesterday it was getting real loud. I took it in for service at the local dealership and the estimate for repair came out to $900. Unfornately I purchased the vehicle from private party about 2 years ago and did not purchase the extended powertrain warranty believing that I was not qualified given I was not eligible for the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. I plan on calling and writing to Toyota about all the problems related to WP failure and will request a refund. Will keep you all posted.
The water pump is covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#88 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
The water pump is covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.
But I did not purchase this warranty and even if I did, I've passed the 5 year mark.

#89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec View Post
But I did not purchase this warranty and even if I did, I've passed the 5 year mark.
No need to purchase this warranty it comes with each new Toyota. As for the 5 years find the exacted date the vehicle was first put into service-see if it is over 5 years. If it is over 5 years than yes I would write/call Toyota or ask the dealer to do a good faith repair.
#90 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus123 View Post
No need to purchase this warranty it comes with each new Toyota. As for the 5 years find the exacted date the vehicle was first put into service-see if it is over 5 years. If it is over 5 years than yes I would write/call Toyota or ask the dealer to do a good faith repair.
Thanks for the clarification. I checked the in service date and unfortunately I'm about 3 month past the 5 year mark. I will incorporate this into my letter to Toyota.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page