Torque Converter Upgrade - Lextreme - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw479
Thanks for the cudos, but you're really doing all the work! Can you share any specs (stall speed, etc) that this blue thing is suppose to improve?

I'm sure it was an interesting project for Lextreme to do...since you are at the bleeding edge of the V6 RAVolution. Did they have any other ideas that could be applied to our Rav4s?
Wish I could help more but the specifics are blurred at best. What I mean is I let Lextreme know what vehicle this is from and that I'd like the stall speed higher than the stock stall speed. I stated this is my family vehicle so i still need it to be streetable but I race it on the weekends at the track. The main reason for me sending this out to you (Lextreme) is to improve my 60ft time thereby increasing my 1/4 mile time. At the same time, beef up the torque converter internals. He understood and said he could do that. No flash stall speed was specified. Just that I need it closer to the torque peak to launch better and for better throttle response.

Most of my recent mods are around throttle response. Sprintbooster, throttle body (will be sending to Maxbore when they get back from vacation) and this. Will see how all this works out. Little baby steps! Not looking for anything dramatic. I'll be happy with only 1/10th knocked off but happier if better. Don't want to raise expectations and be disappointed. I wouldn't recommend this modification to anyone yet of course. I have no idea if it is positive, negative or if it'll help me achieve my goal of reducing my 1/4 mile time.

Mensajero, don't know what's up with the link. I click on it and everything is fine. Weird!

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
Weapon R Intk, Mgnflow Mfflr,
13.717@99.57mph
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/659...av4v6times.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Sigh

I just had a huge, long post with details of my runs last night with the new torque converter and my computer window 'crashed' and closed. I'm too lazy too type it all again. So keeping it short and simple now.

Averaged 2.05? 60ft
1/4 mile 14.2 - 14.3
MPH: Averaged 96mph

Was anywhere from 2-3mph slower than last week and 1/10th to 2/10ths 'WORSE' than last week at the same track, same similar conditions. Only difference is temps got about 30F cooler last week (Low 40's vs 73-75F last night) and the wind last week blew against the back of the RAV4 vs towards the RAV4 last night. My highest mph was last week on one run (99.21mph). This is NOT an excuse though. There's no excuse for my worse 60ft times (I think).

So.....with the $$$ spent is this worth it? In my humble opinion, NO! I was hoping my 60ft time would have dropped to the 1.8 to 1.9 range, despite what my 1/4 mile time and mph would have been at. I mainly hoped for my 60ft time to have improved significantly. All runs last night was in the 2.05s. That's never happened before as for the consistency but still. Lowest temperature was 73F on my last run. Should have stayed.

Got more testing to do but 1/4 mile wise, I'm heading in the wrong direction. I do not have a tranny cooler installed....yet (Seems they forgot to add it). My drivability appears to be exactly the same as before, whether on the street or highway. Flash stall speed seems to be between 2600-2800rpm vs 2400rpm from before.

Lots more testing to do. Not sure if I'll be doing anything else for a bit. School bills piling up and a guy offered to do an engine swap in my Subaru XT6. My mouth is drooling at this proposition but the costs will take me out of the RAV4 game for months. That's all for now!!

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph
#13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Kevin,

Typically, looser converters are going to be less efficient at all times, meaning that once you're rolling and as long as the gearing keeps the engine speed in the meat of the powerband down the entire run, you're going to be needing to be making the time off the start. That being said, considering the change in wind direcdtion and temperature (which often is accompanied by higher humidity and so the DA goes way up), you probably were running at least as strong. I was initially going to say that a 300-400 RPM increase in stall speed might be pretty insignificant, but with the same weather conditions as last week, you probably would have done a sub-14 and 100+.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
WTF

Re: Sigh

Jeez that's terrible news Kevin. Maybe you should run a datalog and make sure it's locking by the time it reaches 3rd or 4th gear (i forget when the Rav starts locking the TC). If it's not locking that might explain the drop in mph. But yah no excuses for the low 60ft time. I would call Lextreme and see what they have to say.

Meh.
#15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Jeez that's terrible news Kevin. Maybe you should run a datalog and make sure it's locking by the time it reaches 3rd or 4th gear (i forget when the Rav starts locking the TC). If it's not locking that might explain the drop in mph. But yah no excuses for the low 60ft time. I would call Lextreme and see what they have to say.
Third gear is good for 110+ so it'll never see 4th gear on the drag strip. I'd bet that the warmer conditions created high underhood temps that retarded timing right off the bat, resulting in less oomph off the line. Some vehicles I've seen maps for start retarding timing once IATs reach into the 80's., and Kevin's coolest ambient temp run was 73 degrees. I can't imagine IATs aren't going to be at least 20-30 degrees warmer than that.
#16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two
Kevin,

Typically, looser converters are going to be less efficient at all times, meaning that once you're rolling and as long as the gearing keeps the engine speed in the meat of the powerband down the entire run, you're going to be needing to be making the time off the start. That being said, considering the change in wind direcdtion and temperature (which often is accompanied by higher humidity and so the DA goes way up), you probably were running at least as strong. I was initially going to say that a 300-400 RPM increase in stall speed might be pretty insignificant, but with the same weather conditions as last week, you probably would have done a sub-14 and 100+.
Your points are taken. Driving around today and the car was much friskier. The temps actually got up to 81F but the humidity was much less. Seems the car wanted to take off any moment. Should've went to Atco Raceway as they actually had a 'Hot Import Night' tonight. Saw it too late and said screw it. Will probably do some more testing in the near future and let give the car much more time to cool off. Not expecting anything either way. I just take the results as they come.

WTF, I could contact Lextreme but he was just doing what he thought he could. I need more data anyways. I was just appreciative he was wiling to 'take up the challenge' since he did not have much to go off of. It has only been four runs though. Need lots more testing in different conditions.

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph
#17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
ProTorque Torque Converter Upgrade: $579 **Mike**

Tranny Cooler and ProTorque Converter install: $1100-$1200

Level 10 Hydrosystem Valve Body Upgrade: $700

$2379 - $2479

$2500 Total!

This is just for my info purposes. Nothing to see here...carry on.

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph
The Following User Says Thank You to Myxalplyx For This Useful Post:
Climbitnow (01-22-2013)
#18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Any updates on the performance ? Recommendations for those who want to go your way?

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
Any updates on the performance ? Recommendations for those who want to go your way?
None!

Keep it simple! Intake, exhaust and possibly lighter wheels.

Kevin
2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
13.717@99.57mph
#20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
None!

Keep it simple! Intake, exhaust and possibly lighter wheels.
Ohh I'm glad to see you posting in here again. I posted a photo/question in the intake sticky thread. Hoping maybe you can take a quick look and give me some suggestions. I read your thread about the Weapon-R intake and it's interesting. I had a not so great experience with Weapon-R back in the day with my '03 Acura CL TypeS but maybe they've gotten better, so that's why I'm still kind of leaning toward a K&N and most likely would switch the filter to an AEM dryflow since it doesn't require oiling which can mess with the MAF. Are you still running it with a different filter? Are you using the MAF reducer with the Weapon-R?

2009 Rav4 Sport V6 4x4 Classic Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Sport Appearance Package | OEM Tube Steps | OEM Roof Rack
2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport Velocity Red Mica | AWD | 2.3L Turbo | 6spd Manual | Lots of Modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page