How does RAV4 4WD work? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The type of snow/ice you encounter also can make it look like a hero or a dud.
I've driven in Leadville Colorado in 10 inches of the lightest, driest pow you can imagine.
A 1970 RWD with slicks could get you around in that.
My RAV4 Sport slid sideways, on a street, with ZERO forward movent or tire rotation, and slow motion parked itself against a guard rail, in a 4 inch snowstorm.
The tires were not turning.

This vehicle is far from magical.
The above posts, except DrDyno, have provided some insight.
Tires have everything to do with success in snow or ice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman
I've driven in Leadville Colorado in 10 inches of the lightest, driest pow you can imagine.
My RAV4 Sport slid sideways, on a street, with ZERO forward movent or tire rotation, and slow motion parked itself against a guard rail, in a 4 inch snowstorm.

Yes, I guess my judgment is colored by my engineering degree and 50 years of driving experience and by several AWDs and my two F-250 diesels including my snow plow truck.

For your reading enjoyment my RAV4 snow tests are here:
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24330
Summaries are posts 33, 43 and 50.

I definitely do agree that 4WD helps going forward which may result in overconfidence that it'll help turning and stopping which it does little or nothing for. Tires and intelligent driving make ALL the difference there.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM

I have been driving my 07 Rav in the snow for the first time in the last couple of weeks and it is doing great. I went to skid sideways a couple of times but the system kicked in and stopped me from skidding and put me back in a straight path. I am not clear on the AWD system it doesn't make scenes to me that it has an auto shut off after 25 MPH. I use the AWD going up the steep hill outside my house and have no issues but I think it would be better just to have it on or off.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard24 View Post
I am not clear on the AWD system it doesn't make scenes to me that it has an auto shut off after 25 MPH. I use the AWD going up the steep hill outside my house and have no issues but I think it would be better just to have it on or off.
The system does not shut off at 25 MPH. It just does not lock engaged. In slip conditions, it will engage and disengage on its own. The system does not use the expensive Torsons, but it gets better mileage than those that do. Locking it up at higher speeds in good traction conditions would cause wear.

There are threads with a link to a nice technical discussion of how it all works. Maybe somebody will remember or search it out for you.

2009 V6 4wd Base
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post

Hmmm...I don't think that you will find dryer snow on the road than in the interior of Alaska, and i haven't had any trouble driving my wife's Rav 4 on such. In fact both the 2009 Forester I had, and now the Rav 4 are incredibly sure-footed on ice, and on wet or dry snow.

Now, on sleet or glare ice it does not matter what automobile you drive. The vehicle will move sideways from a high point on the road or parking lot to a low point. In such a case the only thing that could stop the vehicle from sliding sideways would be a set of chains on the tires, and in some cases studs. Regardless of road or parking lot condition, if the vehicle moves in any direction when the wheels aren't moving, it means that the tires do not provide enough traction to stop the motion.
Some (not all) of these vehicles show what I am talking about:
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree with someone mentioned. If you drive with smarts in alot of snow or alittle snow. You should be ok. Me this is my first cuv. Since I got the le fwd. I will be putting snow tires on it this winter. I will not be driving 60 or higher when the roads are icing or snow covered or whatever. I had a 03 accord with all season pirelli on it. I got thru a six inch snow covered road going uphill by driving smartly. While the people next to me were gunning their cars and getting stuck. Also I have seen many 4wd and awd suv off on the side of the road becacuse they put too much faith in their system and were driving too FAST for conditions. I wonder what they thought when they found themselves in the ditch. Drive smart in bad condition and you will get thru.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manhog For This Useful Post:
05RAV4L (10-21-2014), Dr. Dyno (05-16-2014)
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
FWD only helps you drive back onto the icy road you slipped off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2011 Limited, V6, factory tow package, Blizzard Pearl
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM

This may sound silly but...... where is this lock you guys are speaking of? I don't seem to see it on my 2005 RAV. It used to get into AWD when the front wheels would skid but when I got stuck in the mud last week it did not do it. I was wondering why. i always thought it was always automatically in stand by mode.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT478X View Post
This may sound silly but...... where is this lock you guys are speaking of? I don't seem to see it on my 2005 RAV. It used to get into AWD when the front wheels would skid but when I got stuck in the mud last week it did not do it. I was wondering why. i always thought it was always automatically in stand by mode.
you don't have this option , sorry
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT478X View Post

I think in 2005 only the manual version had a center differential lock button where as yours automatically varies the amount of lockup as needed. Are you saying that neither of your back wheels were turning when you were stuck in the mud? At least one of them should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page