How does RAV4 4WD work? - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not sure how I like the 4WD system yet, I haven't had my 2008 for a long time. I was surprised the first time I drove it on some slippery roads. The VSC and 4WD kept the vehicle going where it was supposed to. I have a 4 cyl 5 speed Manual. I tried to make my RAV slide around a few corners and the VSC would stop the slide. I have good winter tires also. Like the post above said none of the systems help you stop. Smart driving and knowing how your vehicle is going to react helps. I felt pretty confident in my RAV4 last night, I drove around 350 km from Kiev to Kremenchug. It was a pretty heavy snow yesterday, I flew in late from Paris. I chose the best roads and drove a few extra km to get to them. All in all I'm very happy with how it drives in the snow and ice. I'm not sure if it will let me cut doughnuts in the parking lot, but I plan on trying it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
My new RAV4 is my 6th SUV, and my 3rd with 4WD. But my previous 4WD vehicles all had a manual switch or lever to engage 4WD mode, and I'm a little unclear about how the system works in the RAV4, how the Lock button works, and heck, I'm not even clear on whether it's front-wheel or rear-wheel when in 2WD mode.

Can anyone give me a basic primer on how the system works? I don't plan on ever doing any off-roading in my RAV4, but when the snows come this winter I'd like to know how the 4WD works so I can drive with confidence.

Of course, I certainly hope we don't have a repeat of last winter, when Maryland got socked with two 2' snowfalls in less than a week. We had snow piles in the area for 60 days afterward!
I am sure all your questions about the 4WD system have been answered by the amount of posts after yours (I have not read them yet). Just wanted to LOL at your comment about "repeat of last year, Maryland got socked with two 2' snowfalls in less than a week". I found this to be a very funny statement, last year here in Saint John NB Canada we had over 16' of snow which fell mainly from the middle on January to the middle/late March.

Oh, and if you are worried....the 2007 V6 Rav4 worked flawlessly without ever having to press the 4wd lock button. The automatic 4wd kicking in was more than enough.

2007 Rav4 Sport V6
The Following User Says Thank You to Canon101 For This Useful Post:
kyoo (01-13-2016)
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:42 AM

picking up my awd rav4 this weekend, will definitely post some impressions. decent amount of awd experience, a lot of subies and currently an evo with all mechanical diffs. never driven in a more haldex-style awd, though I've ridden in a Mazdaspeed6, where I found the difference to be negligible. Actually hoping to get hit with some snow for once

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The awd works great and seamless...I don't think I ever push the lock button...
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 PM

The only time I've used 4WD lock and antiskid off was to practice figure 8's in a snowy parking lot. The rest of the time letting the computer do its thing got me where I was going -- including an iced road where I watched a couple guys loop into the ditch and plenty of others already there.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:23 AM

cant wait to try it out... but im afraid the weather here has been warm and dry for this time of year
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:25 AM

My last little car, a Chevy Tracker had AWD and 4WD. It was always a relief shifting back into 2wheel drive. You coasted better and it was more efficient, I would happily coast around town in neutral. My '07 Rav4 Sport is definitely all wheel drive all the time. I purposely went out in the mess of a sloppy snow storm in Mass. this year and it just grinds right through the snow with summer tires. The problem is it "grinds" right through the dry pavement too. When you let off the gas it doesn't coast at all. I pressed the button one time blasting out of a driveway in Lake Tahoe, worked very well. In conclusion, if it doesn't snow where you at you don't need this car.

'07 4 cyl Sport
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just realized I already answered and do not know how to get rid of the post. Sorry.

2007 Rav4 Sport V6
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtime View Post
My last little car, a Chevy Tracker had AWD and 4WD. It was always a relief shifting back into 2wheel drive. You coasted better and it was more efficient, I would happily coast around town in neutral. My '07 Rav4 Sport is definitely all wheel drive all the time. I purposely went out in the mess of a sloppy snow storm in Mass. this year and it just grinds right through the snow with summer tires. The problem is it "grinds" right through the dry pavement too. When you let off the gas it doesn't coast at all. I pressed the button one time blasting out of a driveway in Lake Tahoe, worked very well. In conclusion, if it doesn't snow where you at you don't need this car.
Your 2007 is not awd all the time...the rear wheels engage when the computer deems it necessary, when the button is pushed up to 25MPH and from a start...
The Following User Says Thank You to rav4system For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (06-01-2016)
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Hard doing doughnuts in 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page