2008 Rav4: Procedure for changing brakes/rotors - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 Rav4: Procedure for changing brakes/rotors

My girlfriend has a 2008 Rav4 Limited V6 4 Wheel Drive. I know sooner or later I am going to have to change the brakes/rotors on it and figured I would find out what I need to know now. Are there any special tools needed? Any special procedures; i.e. for removing the front rotors, for screwing in the rear caliper piston, etc. If you could point me to a step by step procedure it would be greatly appreciated (I have changed the brakes/rotors on several different makes of cars, and they all have some trick or sequence that makes the job go a lot smoother).

Thanks for the help.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Your best bet is to buy a Hanes repair manual at your local auto parts for about $18 they are quite good for the price and cover everything in decent detail, a set of metric tools, a breaker bar and a torque wrench that starts at 10 ft lbs. Also a C clamp to push the piston back in but be sure to open the bleed port so that the fluid won't go back into the system as in some cars it could damage the anti lock system, plus is a good ideat to replace the fluid while you are at it. Hope this helps.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Dont open the bleed screw, all you will do is let air into the system that way, just let the fluid overfill the reservoir when you compress the piston, it wont hurt anything. Its a simple job, takes relatively 0 skill.
The Following User Says Thank You to thewalrus For This Useful Post:
Sr5Vr6Rav4 (06-02-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,201 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus
Dont open the bleed screw, all you will do is let air into the system that way, just let the fluid overfill the reservoir when you compress the piston, it wont hurt anything. Its a simple job, takes relatively 0 skill.
The PROPER procedure is to attach one end of a clear plastic hose to the bleed screw, and immerse the the other into a jar half-filled with new brake fluid. Then you loosen the bleed screw and compress the piston. The old fluid will go into the jar and no air can get sucked back in, only brake fluid. Close the bleed screw and move on to the other calipers.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Sr5Vr6Rav4 (06-02-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Ok, whatever you say.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug1701
The PROPER procedure is to attach one end of a clear plastic hose to the bleed screw, and immerse the the other into a jar half-filled with new brake fluid. Then you loosen the bleed screw and compress the piston. The old fluid will go into the jar and no air can get sucked back in, only brake fluid. Close the bleed screw and move on to the other calipers.
James, that works just fine, but you still end up with several year old (and perhaps contaminated with dirt and moisture) brake fluid in the system after you replaced the pads. I like to flush the system and start with new fluid. Perhaps I am a bit obsessive about having clear and clean fluid, but brake new fluid is inexpensive and the process takes so little extra time.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Guys, when everything else fails read the manual or better yet, read it before you fail. Technical manuals from the auto parts are easy to read and follow, they are not expensive but can save you time ,money and lots of aggravation. The manual that came with the car has lots of good info as well.
Some of us can give you good advise but the book gives you more details and even photos to look at.
I'm a proffesional and I read the manual!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Obviously written by someone who has never seen spilled brake fluid and the damage it can do to paint.

Haynes manuals are not currently available for the 4.3 series RAV4. Links to download some of the factory manuals can be gotten on this site (do a search).
#9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM

This link has a lot of good information:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...426&highlight=
#10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton
Quote:
Obviously written by someone who has never seen spilled brake fluid and the damage it can do to paint.

Haynes manuals are not currently available for the 4.3 series RAV4. Links to download some of the factory manuals can be gotten on this site (do a search).
Yes I guess Toyota hired me to damage paint. When it weeps out of the resevoir, it drips on the ground, not the outside of the car. That is how we all do it, its easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page