Buying A Battery for the RAV4 - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

My OEM Panasonic (Matsush ita) battery (2006 V6 2WD, 55000 miles) became weak and couldn't recharge fully after several weeks of 100°F+ Temps. It still started after one or two tries but couldn't hold a strong charge for more than 8 hours. I tried adding distilled water to the low cells but the battery remained weak even with the "eye" indicator showing "Good".

I didn't want to take a chance and got it replaced with Duralast Gold 24F-DLG battery as recommended by fellow RAV4 owners in this thread. Thanks! Total price incl. sales tax was $109.11 (after $10 coupon) which is not bad considering DLG has 750CCA (935 cranking amps) with free 3 year replacement and pro-rated replacement after that (up to 8 years total). Autozone also threw in some free terminal protection lube and felt pads.

Installation was a cinch but there's a plastic shield over the radiator that required removal of nine small clips (push in the middle section and they pop out; spread the bottom flanges and push the middle tab back up to reset and reinstall).

The size 24F battery fits the oem tray and insulation sleeve pretty good. I just made sure I lined up the battery securing bar carefully and didn't overtighten any of the bolts.

My RAV was running well even with the weak battery but now she starts up instantly and continues to run like a champ. My last MPG was 25.47, 60/40 hwy/city.

Haulin' mass and kickin' gas!!!
RAV4 V6: Wolf in cute-ute clothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM

Economy of scale, If you make a million of one item, they can be produced cheaper. group 24 and 24f are an extremely common battery size

ASE Certified Master Auto Tech (retired)
#63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Asked my dealer to test the battery while I was there for some other issues, and eventho I had trouble starting the car last week, they say everything is fine. I saw the numbers myself, and it did look fine, so this is really confusing now. I would think @ 70,000 miles, the battery would be more than due for replacement.

General G-MAX AS-03 235/55R18 summer tires
Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV5 225/70R16 snow tires
SoundFX antenna
Husky floor liners
CompuStar Pro P2W9000FM-AS
Canister shield
OEM mud flaps
Bluetooth OBDII+Torque
Griffin BlueTrip AUX + Pocket Amp 2
BlackVue DR400G-HD DVR + Power Magic Pro
#64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Great deal on batteries if you are looking for one:

Autocraft Gold Car Battery (590 CCA) $45.99 In-store pickup Advance Auto Parts AR - Slickdeals.net

Trying to figure out myself if I should replace mine @ 70,000miles/5year, although Toyota told me it tested fine and it just needed a charge.

General G-MAX AS-03 235/55R18 summer tires
Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV5 225/70R16 snow tires
SoundFX antenna
Husky floor liners
CompuStar Pro P2W9000FM-AS
Canister shield
OEM mud flaps
Bluetooth OBDII+Torque
Griffin BlueTrip AUX + Pocket Amp 2
BlackVue DR400G-HD DVR + Power Magic Pro
#65 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rav4 View Post

Autocraft Gold Car Battery (590 CCA) $45.99 In-store pickup Advance Auto Parts AR - Slickdeals.net

Trying to figure out myself if I should replace mine @ 70,000miles/5year, although Toyota told me it tested fine and it just needed a charge.
Nice- the 25.00 is a mail in rebate? Note CCA =700.
#66 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rav4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus123 View Post
Nice- the 25.00 is a mail in rebate? Note CCA =700.
dont forget about cashback from your CC or sites...
#67 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I thought I would add to this rather than starting another thread. My OEM battery (both cars actually) cracked open and leaked so it was replaced under warranty. Today I went to run an errand and got the dreaded "click, click, click", when I turned the key. The 84 month battery that replaced the OEM was only warranted until the 3 year 36K miles ran out which was Jan of this year. I put my battery charger on it but I bought it 43 years ago and I'm not sure if it even works......even at that it's a 2 amp trickle charger so maybe by Tuesday afternoon?

So, following the lead of others here I went to Autozone and got the Duralast Gold 24F-DLG with three year exchange warranty. I snooped a bit online, "Liked" Autozone on Facebook and got a $20 off coupon. The closest store had two in stock. After the discount coupon and removing the core charge it came to $100.41 with tax.

Put it in and it made V-6 noises which is a good thing. No doubt I'll be doing this with our other RAV before long but I'll need to snoop up another coupon since the one I used was good through tomorrow.

They don't make 'em like they used to really applies here....that's three batteries in a car that's four model years old. Thanks all for the pictures and advice, it made this much easier.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#68 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,142 Times in 825 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
That's a good battery, RF--I got the AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto for the Altima back in August. But I paid a little less--here's how I did it:

One of our great members here, focus123, sent me a refer-a-friend link to get the sale price. So, when I went to Advance, they tried to charge me full price, $110, and I said I was going to buy it online. The guy said, "You bought it online?", and I said, "No, not yet, but I'm about to.", so I pulled out my iPhone and got on their web site and ordered it on the spot. A few minutes later it popped up on their screen, and that was that. Not only did I get the refer a friend discount, I also entered another code that's supposed to send me a $25 rebate coupon or some such thing in the mail. They even installed it for me. Total cost with tax: $82.82. Pretty sweet deal!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#69 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, nice to know! Today I was in a bit of a pinch and had to do something promptly and so it goes. I'm still tickled I got twenty bucks off for "liking" on Facebook. When her's craps out I'll look into what you suggested. The difference between these two cars is amazing...I have no doubt her battery will last past eternity along with everything else. The engine on mine will seize up just out of extended warranty without question..

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#70 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,142 Times in 825 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
The difference between these two cars is amazing...I have no doubt her battery will last past eternity along with everything else. The engine on mine will seize up just out of extended warranty without question..
You're such an optimist!!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page