Oil consumption in my 2006 rav4/limited/I4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil consumption in my 2006 rav4/limited/I4

I am a newbie to here - i have a 2006 Rav4 - i love it but within the past year noticed oil consumption - to my surprise 1 day - i had a dry oil stick and had to put 3 quarts in it. This was within the 3,000 mile oil change! I did the 1,000 test 3 times with the toyota dealer and per the owners manual it is withing the normal limits. I went 1,000 miles and added a quart. I do reg maintenance with all my vehicles. Any ideas? I just had inspection and emission done and it passed but the oily was dirty. The service guy who I know well said that toyota care wont pay to take the engine apart to find where the oil is going because there is no obvious leaks or smoke. thanks if you can help

Last edited by JuneBug; 06-07-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

3 quarts within 3k miles! That is pretty incredible, especially since you apparently did not notice any such oil loss before now. How many miles do you have on the RAV? If you are losing that much oil you are either seriously burning it or leaking it.

You said the oil was' dirty' after an emissions inspection. How do you know it was dirty? Just because it is dark does not necessarily mean it is dirty. Was it dirtier than when you normally did the regular servicing?

Hmm..another dramatic problem by a first time poster.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV4Don
3 quarts within 3k miles! That is pretty incredible, especially since you apparently did not notice any such oil loss before now. How many miles do you have on the RAV? If you are losing that much oil you are either seriously burning it or leaking it.

You said the oil was' dirty' after an emissions inspection. How do you know it was dirty? Just because it is dark does not necessarily mean it is dirty. Was it dirtier than when you normally did the regular servicing?

Hmm..another dramatic problem by a first time poster.

71,900 miles and its a 2006 . They said the oil was dirty after i got it back from the inspection. They said i could pay over 600.00 buck to have them take the engine appart and try yo find out what is happening with the oil. This may have been going on before but not as apparent. I have had the computer replaced, the radio and the parking brake fixed - all covered underthe extended warranty - i wont get a new car without one.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Since the poster described the engine "V4" we don't know if he is covered by the oil line leak recall.

Any engine can develop oil consumption is abused by not enough oil changes or poor quality oil. Since the OP let the oil go down by 3 qts, maintenance is a suspect here. But, sometimes it even happens with good care.

The only easy things that help with oil consumption is "high mileage" oil, keeping oil full and piston ring soaks. Anything else is $$$$.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek
Since the poster described the engine "V4" we don't know if he is covered by the oil line leak recall.

Any engine can develop oil consumption is abused by not enough oil changes or poor quality oil. Since the OP let the oil go down by 3 qts, maintenance is a suspect here. But, sometimes it even happens with good care.

The only easy things that help with oil consumption is "high mileage" oil, keeping oil full and piston ring soaks. Anything else is $$$$.

I have done my reg maintenance faithfully thru the toyota dealer - never have they stated the oil is dirty. 3 quarts within my 3,000 miles check - no oil light came on so I check it before i take it in to get the oil change. Initially the service man did not believe me but i took a pic of dipstick and the took a pic when they checked it at the toyota service place. I am not backing down on this with toyota. and i will not pay for it. I even had my visor fall down and would not stay up - a safety issue - i was able to get toyota to pay for it.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

I4 or V6?

To The BlackMobile!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek
I saw my 2006 I4 was drinking 1qt oil per 1,000 miles after my 1st oil change was done at a dealership @3,000 miles.
Only 4,000 miles driven new (6 months old) engine can not be abused by my wife.
Also I found some complaints from Camry I4 2.4L engine owners, the same engine, the same oil consumption. http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3696
#8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Have you changed oil weight, brand, or changed to syn? Sometimes changing from dino to syn can increse consumption. My '96 gmc k1500 5.7l would go through syn 1l every 2000k but not a drop on dino in 5000km. I agree try a high mileage oil just to see what happens. Did the engine ever overheat?

Toyota Family x2
2007 Rav
2006 Tundra
#9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you think you have a V4 I must question how you have taken care of it. Care to explain how it was cared for? This makes me very curious..........

Sorry you explained above had I bothered to read it.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean20202020
I saw my 2006 I4 was drinking 1qt oil per 1,000 miles after my 1st oil change was done at a dealership @3,000 miles.
Only 4,000 miles driven new (6 months old) engine can not be abused by my wife.
I am trying to figure out what you are saying in those two sentences. Are you saying you have had to add a quaart per 1000 miles for the past 3 years, or are you saying that was a one-time event. And what is your wife trying to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page