2008 4 cylinder 4WD limited Engine or Transmission whine 43-70 mph - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 4 cylinder 4WD limited Engine or Transmission whine 43-70 mph

Hi All,

I took my RAV4 into toyota because shortly after purchasing it (used, at 48,000 mi) I noticed a high pitched, electronic sounding whine that is most noticeable in the passenger side (but believe me the driver hears it too) beginning at 43mph, and fading (perhaps drowned out by wind/road noise) at around 70mph (it ALWAYS starts at 43 mph). The sound reminds me of the chirping, whining noise we used to hear when we'd get online using dialup modems, but not quite as varied; ie: a more even tone, but high pitched and whiney. When you take your foot off the gas, the tone varies (pitch and volume lower) and when you put your foot back on the gas, the noise comes right back up. It has become impossible to drive without the radio up quite loud, as the noise is truly annoying.

Anyhoo.... Toyota dealership says "Yes! There is a TSB on this and we will fix it for you!" Long story short, they get the parts, go to put them in, the parts dont fit and they figure out the TSB fix is ONLY for the V6 model. They say there is nothing they can do on the 4 cylinder model, despite the fact that they considered the sound to be identical to what the V6 makes.

Have any other 4 cylinder owners noticed this sound under these circumstances? Any chance it is something other than the transaxle/transmission? When I first heard it I assumed it was something to do with the computer unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
avs
Advanced Member

#3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yep, that is the exact TSB that they brought up when i brought the vehicle in. They ordered the parts (everything short of the reman. trans) and after they arrived (took 3 weeks) I took vehicle in to have the dampeners, etc. installed. Three hours later they called to say that the parts weren't fitting, and when they looked into it further, it turns out only the V6 is covered by the TSB; mine is the 4 cylinder, so there is nothing they could do for me. I read every post on the link you provided and all of those vehicles appear to be V6's-- I'm curious whether anyone with the 4 cylinder 4wd RAV4 has experienced that whining sound.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM

2008 Rav4 4 cyl. Transaxle Whine

There are many messages in the forum re the V6 trans axle whine; however, my 2008 4 cyl. also has this annoying whine between 20-30 MPH. Sometimes it seems more pronounced depending I suppose on factors such as temperature, time spent driving etc. My dealer has agreed to replace the transmission based upon conversations with California Toyota.

Questions?

Has anyone with a 4 cyl. experienced this whine? And if so, has your transmission been replaced?

I had seen many messages talking about the exact manufacturing code for the proper transmission although I cannot seem to find it on the forum.

Any assistance much appreciated in advance.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by procket52 View Post
There are many messages in the forum re the V6 trans axle whine; however, my 2008 4 cyl. also has this annoying whine between 20-30 MPH. Sometimes it seems more pronounced depending I suppose on factors such as temperature, time spent driving etc. My dealer has agreed to replace the transmission based upon conversations with California Toyota.

Questions?

Has anyone with a 4 cyl. experienced this whine? And if so, has your transmission been replaced?

I had seen many messages talking about the exact manufacturing code for the proper transmission although I cannot seem to find it on the forum.

Any assistance much appreciated in advance.
ah ha!!!!!!!!! finally another I4'er with issues regarding the transmission whine. i brought this up with the dealer and they shot it down since it was not on the TSB. I too experience whines in the range (especially in parking lots), currently at 50k miles, 08 sport AWD I4, with OEM tranny fluid. My next attempt is too very soon flush out the fluid and replace it with toyota OEM (WS) tranny fluid.. in hopes it is resolved.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Perhaps you should await my experience with Toyota Dealership here in New Hampshire prior to changing fluids etc. Once the transmission replacement occurs, I would be happy to share with the rest of the Rav4 Community provided the final cure is successful.

I am still concerned that they will in fact install the proper transmission for my 4 CYL 2008 vehicle. Time obviously will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page