Oil Filter Wrench really necessary? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Filter Wrench really necessary?

I've searched and read many post with people suggesting a 65mm-67mm filter wrench to change the oil filter. But my question is, is it really necessary? I crawled under the Rav and noticed the cover holding up the canister filter has a 3/8 square hole big enough for my breaker bar/ratchet to fit.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but couldn't you use remove loosen the turning it counter clockwise...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Oil Filter Wrench really necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV986
I've searched and read many post with people suggesting a 65mm-67mm filter wrench to change the oil filter. But my question is, is it really necessary? I crawled under the RAV and noticed the cover holding up the canister filter has a 3/8 square hole big enough for my breaker bar/ratchet to fit.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but couldn't you use remove loosen the turning it counter clockwise...

I would highly advise the purchase and use of the socket on the filter canister. Chances are that if you attempt to loosen the canister by inserting a 3/8 extension on a racket the only thing you will remove is that metal plug. It is a low TQ plug and will easily come off.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

See http://www.rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21677

The square hole is supposed to be to remove a center plug for pre-draining the cartridge. Some report their plug is stuck in place, so they could do what you propose.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM

(Thread Starter)
Exactly, mine appears to be stuck in place? It is one solid metal canister.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Assuming you are talking about the V6, the piece you are referring to is actually two pieces. A smaller plug (with the 3/8" ratchet opening) is screwed into the larger filter housing.

The reason to removethe smaller plug first is that it is designed to help you drain the oil from the filter without getting oil all over.

When you put the 3/8" ratchet into the opening, the small circular plug should loosen and come out. With your new fliter element you will get a small plastic pipe. Push the pipe up into the opening and it snaps in and oil drains through it emptying the entire filter. When the oil has drained, pull the plastic pipe out. Then, use the larger 65-67mm filter wrench to remove the large filter housing. After cleaning it out, put in the new filter element, coat the new O ring with oil and install it in the groove on the large filter housing and reinstall it by turning it in by hand, then when it tightens, torque it to the right amount. Then coat the small O ring with oil, put it in the groove in the plug and reinstall the plug by turning it in by hand, then when it snugs up tighten it up with the ratchet.

Some folks, myself included, have found that the plug gets stuck and putting the ratchet into it loosens the whole filter assembly, which is quicker, but results in a gush of oil as it comes away from the engine.

2010 RAV4 LTD V6
#6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV986
Exactly, mine appears to be stuck in place? It is one solid metal canister.
This happened to me the first time I changed my oil. It would appear from other reports of a "stuck plug" that either the factory or who ever changed the oil filter last over tightened that plug. It only takes 9 ftlbs of TQ. Folks 9lbs is not much. So this plug can be easily overtightened.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page