Replacing a water pump 2006 4cyl 2wd - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing a water pump 2006 4cyl 2wd

Has anyone here replaced their own water pump on their 4cyl at home.
I know how to work on cars and have the tools, but I dont have a hoist or ability to pull the engine. Whats all involved , it looks like i would have to pull the alternator and the drive belts.
For those who had the dealer or other place do it out of warranty what did it cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Re: Replacing a water pump 2006 4cyl 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Has anyone here replaced their own water pump on their 4cyl at home.
I have not, though from the water pump sections of the repair manual for the 2AZ-FE engine it does not look too difficult.

Quote:
I know how to work on cars and have the tools, but I dont have a hoist or ability to pull the engine. What's all involved , it looks like i would have to pull the alternator and the drive belts.
junebug1701 posted a link to a download of the repair manual at http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22312 . The link listed on that thread is the one from which I downloaded the manual I skimmed to conclude that replacing a water pump wouldn't be too difficult. If you don't have high-speed internet, though, the download link might not do you any good because the download is over 200 MB.

By the way, junebug1701 also posted links to other useful downloads here: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23695

Quote:
For those who had the dealer or other place do it out of warranty what did it cost?
I'm sorry that I can't help you there. My original water pump is still running strong.

Good luck. --Two Shoes

A pat on the back, though only a few vertebrae separate from a kick in the pants, is miles ahead in results.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Hey Marcus,

I just replaced my water pump 3 weeks ago on a 2006 I4 Rav. It wasn't too difficult but it is tight in there. you do NOT need to take the engine out. I took the passenger side wheel of and the plastic behind it expecting a good view of the pump but didn't get one. It is midway between the top and bottom so kind've awkward to get at. Basically drain the radiator and the block (the block is right at the front of the engine and easy to get to). You will need to drop the alternator because you can't manhandle the pump out with the alternator in place. It was pretty easy though and if I remember rightly just two bolts will allow you to move it enough so that you can get the old pump out and the new on in.

When taking the pulley off the outside of the water pump see if you can find someone with the tool that holds the pulley. It will make your life easier. I used a long screwdriver between the bols to hold the pulley while I undid each bold rotating it a little each time to get to the next bolt. The pulley cover (where the belt runs) then slides off easily exposing teh pump body. There are 5 or 6 botls holding teh pump on. loosen them all ad very carefully using one of the two pry points gently lever the pump away from its housing being very careful not to touch the gasket surface. Lift the old pump out. Clean the old gasket off and clean inside the pump housing. I used very fine sandpaper very gently along with a brillo pad being very careful not to damage the surface. I then used some water pump specific sealant from pep boys (there is no gasket for the pump on this model even though it seems as though there should be -I called Toyota to confirm). Make sure you have enough to cover the surface area and teh detent but you don't want too much on there. Carefully lower the new pump into place and get a couple of bols in there loosely to hold it. The key is to get the pump lined up correctly and mated quickly before the sealant begins to dry. Once all bolts are in loosely, very gently tighten them all like a wheel, crossing over diagonally until all are tight. I found it impossible to get a torque wrench in there so I did it very carefully by hand. The sealant said to leave it for 24 hours to cure before starting teh car. I did not fill it with coolant either for 24 hours. Make sure you fill it with teh pink coolant from Toyota and flush/bleed the system. I would also leave the serpentine belt on until you have the pulley bolts loose. Also, you might as well replace the serpentine belt while you have it off. You will need a big rachet with a 19mm socket to loosen teh tensioner. It is hydraulic so it takes some leverage. Just pull the ratchet to the front of the car slowly and have someone take the belt off of the crankshaft/alternator etc. Best of luck

Vectors..
The Following User Says Thank You to Vectors For This Useful Post:
ron.sheldon (01-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page