P0138 code problems - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
P0138 code problems

Okay... here is my issue. Check engine light came on, stopped at parts store, pulled the code. P0138 came up bank 1 sensor 2 high voltage. Replaced sensor, reset CPU, 40 minutes of driving later light came back on, stopped at parts store and the same code. No funny smell out of the exaust. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If the problem wasn't a bad sensor, it could be a problem in the wiring.

If you wanted to do your own work, have a look at this document for your 2AZ-FE ENGINE.

Link

It has a complete diagnostic procedure to help sectionalize the problem.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ive seen that document before but couldnt find it again... I have a service manual fot it but its not easy to find what your looking for in it. does the scan gauge II have the ability to monitor the voltages of the O2 sensors?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_100
does the scan gauge II have the ability to monitor the voltages of the O2 sensors?
According to http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf you can configure the XGAUGE feature to monitor the O2 sensor values.

I suppose that if you have a wiring problem, the O2 value for this sensor will remain at a constant value rather than constantly fluctuating as the ECM varies the A/F mixtures.

I was also wondering if the correct sensor was replaced. I once replaced the wrong O2 sensor in a Honda because I wasn't aware there were others on this particular model.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
you mean multiple sensors? with the 2.4 there is only 2 sensors. I checked the sensors for resisitance and they check okay as per service manual but we'll say something is on sensor one (upstream) that wouldnt change the value of the resistance I think. I think if sensor one was coated in soot it would make it rich making sensor two high voltage?

I am wondering about my vacuum system in it to. I can sit at a stop light, and just stretch my leg pressing the brake pedal and I can set of the stability control. it'll beep and the light of the car with skid marks under it will light up. can reproduce it 100%
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
you mean multiple sensors? with the 2.4 there is only 2 sensors. I checked the sensors for resisitance and they check okay as per service manual but we'll say something is on sensor one (upstream) that wouldnt change the value of the resistance I think. I think if sensor one was coated in soot it would make it rich making sensor two high voltage?
Your O2 sensors are fed by two different circuits.

The first circuit is the heater circuit, and the other is the O2 detection circuit.

O2 sensors only work properly when they reach a certain temperature. In the old days they didn't work until the exhaust manifold was hot enough to provide the proper temperature. In today's cars they use heated sensors. The ECM provides a voltage solely to heat up the sensors to provide O2 data sooner than the old time technology. Faults with the heater circuit will normally give a different diagnostic code than the one you are getting.

The second circuit supplies battery voltage on one wire, and depending on what the O2 levels are, the sensor sends varying voltage back on a second wire. The code you are getting implies that this return voltage is higher than anything that should be normally seen. Therefore, either your sensor is defective, and is sending the battery voltage back on the signal wire, or a short somewhere in the harness is sending voltage back to the signal terminal of the ECM. The diagnostic charts in the PDF will help you determine where the problem is.

Quote:
I am wondering about my vacuum system in it to. I can sit at a stop light, and just stretch my leg pressing the brake pedal and I can set of the stability control. it'll beep and the light of the car with skid marks under it will light up. can reproduce it 100%

That is you HAC feature. Have a look at http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14769
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
This is the hill−start assist control system, a feature, not a problem. Read the owner's manual.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
how does the wiring all of a sudden go bad?

I am wondering about excess vibration since before I had this problem come up I had alot of snow in the wheels while i was driving down the highway.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
how does the wiring all of a sudden go bad?
There are many ways. The plastic dividers inside a connector may have broken which allows two wires to touch each other. The wiring harness touching a sharp piece of metal could cut through the insulation. A connector full of wet salt water would allow current flow between conductors.

Until you follow the procedure in the PDF file, you are just speculating that the problem is defective wiring.

Quote:
I am wondering about excess vibration since before I had this problem come up I had alot of snow in the wheels while i was driving down the highway.
Are you saying that you think the vibration caused your diagnostic code?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh my phone is annoying me.

Right now I printed the guide and am reading through it. I can't look at the car I'd like to trade in right now as I'm at work.

I drove to my destination, parked it for a few hours, it was cold out maybe 7 degrees out. When I left about 20-30 minutes later the lights were on. It may be coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page