Noise/Vibration at 40 mph - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vibration/Shudder Problem with 2008 Rav4 Solved!

I have been back and forth with the dealership for months about this noise a 40 mph (vibration/shudder/grinding). And they have finally found the problem! It is an "Internal transmission failure". Since my rav4 is still under warranty they are going to replace the transmission. I have been reading these message boards for months trying to figure out if I was the only one with this problem and also searching for solutions. Now I have one for you! Talk to your dealership and please please please have them replace your transmission if you are having the same problem as I am. Here is how they finally diagnosed it...They drove my car with a diagnosing machine hooked up to the computer to find out what was happening with my car at that speed. And they finally figured it out! I'm very happy that this problem is going to be solved once and for all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitmon1 View Post
Sounds like the issue I was having with my 2006 AWD 4 cylinder at 80k. Turned out to need a tranny fluid flush/change. Moisture had built up in the fluid. Worked like a charm.
Good luck
It's been a couple years. If you're still around, I'm curious if your noise has remained resolved with the flush/change?

My Rav has been doing the rattling nose as well and I took it to a shop today and they are saying it's coming from the Transfer case. They haven't checked the oil level yet that I'm aware of. But, I think my next step is to have them check/replace the transfer case oil and do a transmission fluid flush.

As much as I HATE car troubles, I'm finding it slightly comforting to find that so many others have had this issue and I'm not alone.

ETA: This is my first mechanical issue with my Rav and it has 103K. Hoping to keep him going at least a few more years!
#23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkphotog View Post
It's been a couple years. If you're still around, I'm curious if your noise has remained resolved with the flush/change?

My Rav has been doing the rattling nose as well and I took it to a shop today and they are saying it's coming from the Transfer case. They haven't checked the oil level yet that I'm aware of. But, I think my next step is to have them check/replace the transfer case oil and do a transmission fluid flush.

As much as I HATE car troubles, I'm finding it slightly comforting to find that so many others have had this issue and I'm not alone.

ETA: This is my first mechanical issue with my Rav and it has 103K. Hoping to keep him going at least a few more years!
It seems this post has been abandoned for a while... Please let me know if that transmission fluid change had any positive response for the rattling noise... I own a 2006 rav4 with only 45,000 mi and it just started with the same problem... Thanks
#24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting View Post
It seems this post has been abandoned for a while... Please let me know if that transmission fluid change had any positive response for the rattling noise... I own a 2006 rav4 with only 45,000 mi and it just started with the same problem... Thanks
I changed the gear oil... Did nada. Didn't do a transmission flush bc I read it could stir up metal shavings and cause more issues and the shop didn't think it'd help. They didn't think changing the transfer case oil would do anything either. My oil ended up being at an acceptable level.
Took it to a shop that specializes in transmissions and they said it's my planetary gears falling apart and I need my transmission rebuilt.

Do you hear a really quiet whining noise when you first start it? That was my first sign and the shop heard it too. Then came the rattling noise.
#25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Same issue

I have an 06 Rav4 with 79K miles. I am having this same exact issue for a while and finally took it to an AAMCO and they are telling me I need to have the transmission rebuilt. I called Toyota to see if anything could be done. The rep. opened a case and said if more people opened up cases we might get a recall or extended care for the transmission. So call Toyota at 800-331-4331 and follow the direction to speak to someone and open a case with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edmondsona For This Useful Post:
Rttobe (01-03-2014), zackattack2185 (02-03-2014)
#26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondsona View Post
I have an 06 Rav4 with 79K miles. I am having this same exact issue for a while and finally took it to an AAMCO and they are telling me I need to have the transmission rebuilt. I called Toyota to see if anything could be done. The rep. opened a case and said if more people opened up cases we might get a recall or extended care for the transmission. So call Toyota at 800-331-4331 and follow the direction to speak to someone and open a case with them.

doing that now.... thanks for the heads up about that
#27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM

I would be interested in what they told you. If you have time let me know.
#28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondsona View Post
I would be interested in what they told you. If you have time let me know.
Nothing of significance. They basically just made record of the issue and said one of the ways recalls come about is from people calling in about the issue. (The other is from issues being seen at the dealers.) And since i'm out of warranty, any repairs would be at the owners cost. Which I wasn't expecting them to do anything... just wanted to make them aware of the issue. It's not like a Toyota....

She did say there are two recalls on the Rav4 right now (well, at least my yr) a modification to the suspension arm recall that I had fixed last year. The other was installing a stopping mechanism so stop my car if it accelerates on it's own or has a sudden acceleration. I think she said that's a voluntary recall though.
#29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Garage
Recalls are typically only done for safety issues.

#30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM

same problem as everyone else... what can i do.. cant afford a new transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page