Noise/Vibration at 40 mph - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Noise/Vibration at 40 mph

My 2006 rav 4 cylinder has recently starting making a loud noise/vibration. This only occurs when hitting the gas at 38-40 mph and when the rpms are around 1500-1600. There does not seem to be a loss of power while making this noise. If I let up on the gas, it stops. It seems to occur more on uphills. I took it to the dealer and they said it appears that the transmission is going and I may need a new one but I need to come back and leave it for a day so they have more time to work on it. (I took later it in after work one day...). They also said the transmission fluid was dirty and there was metal in it. Do I really need a new transmission?? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd get a second opinion from an independent transmission shop you can trust. I'd stay away from the chain shops as they are usually run to maximize profit for the big-city parent company. Go somewhere a local independent garage that doesn't do transmissions recommends.

I notice you don't have any gender, age, location or even a country in your profile. You joined today and this is your first post.
You'll find guys that can help but can't type (like me) will be much more interested in pecking away if they know you're not just some kid who can type playing on a computer.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

#4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestion. I will bring it to Toyota next week to get their final diagnoses of the problem then find a place for a second opinion.

I did read the forum on the whining noise before posting but it doesn't fit my noise. Its more of a rumble than a whine and its fairly loud. The temperature also doesn't affect it. I live in NJ where it was in the teens last week and hit 65 today. No change in the noise. My rav has 107000 on it so there ins no hope of warranty covering it.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Just wondering what the diagnosis and fix for this was. I have an 07 with the V6 with 110,000 miles and it's doing the exact same thing. Please advise.

07 Rav4 Limited V6
#6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
KTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbrubaker View Post
Just wondering what the diagnosis and fix for this was. I have an 07 with the V6 with 110,000 miles and it's doing the exact same thing. Please advise.
Did you click the link in post #3?

If you want it fixed, it will be at your own cost because the 110k miles you have is over the 60k miles powertrain warranty.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM

I did check out the post on the whine, it doesn't sound like the same issue to me. Mine makes a loud shudder, accompanied with a noticeable shake/vibration, almost as if you were driving over rumble strips.

07 Rav4 Limited V6
#8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 PM

I just took my 2006 RAV4 4WD Limited to the dealer for the noise/vibration problem. They were not able to find the cause. I would be very interested if anyone finds out what causes the noise/vibration.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM

I seem to be in this club!! I have 2006 AWD 4cyl. 70,000mi shuddering/vibration occurs between 30-40mph 2-3K rpm...my mechanic thought it might have been due to differences in tread wear on my tires (fronts were pretty worn down & rear tires were pretty new)..he claimed this diffrence in tire wear can cause damage to the transfer case...I got new front tires (needed them for the winter anyway) and had my swaybars replaced (unrelated?) found on yearly inspection..this reduced the shuddering quite a bit but not completely...I'm sure any transmission
work would be $$$ but I am out of warranty...I saw one other thread on this issue any advice would be appreciated...I'm thinking I'll have to take it to an independent tranny shop (don't deal with Dealers outside of warranty work)...I've pretty much loved the Rav upto this point..but I'm starting to sweat putty balls now!!

Last edited by JBLIGH; 08-04-2011 at 07:45 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Sounds like the issue I was having with my 2006 AWD 4 cylinder at 80k. Turned out to need a tranny fluid flush/change. Moisture had built up in the fluid. Worked like a charm.
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to spitmon1 For This Useful Post:
blke (04-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page