Idle speed control valve location?? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Idle speed control valve location??

Does anyone know where is this valve located on the throttle body and how to remove it for cleaning? My 07 Rav4 I4 (87K miles on the odometer) has low idle speeds when pulling up to the red light in stop N go traffic and with slight vibrations. After reading couple posts here, I want to clean this valve or sensor to see if it helps with this issue.

Could anyone post a picture of this valve location in out engine bay and tips to remove it for cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

07 Sport I4 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to earthrealm
its location shud be similar to that of the 2003 which i drive.locate the air box.there shud be a black hose that goes down to the engine area.it terminates ontop of the TB - throttle body, the IAC - IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE is right under it.

search for the soft copy of the haynes manual, u wud see it there
#3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennadrift View Post
Does anyone know where is this valve located on the throttle body and how to remove it for cleaning? My 07 Rav4 I4 (87K miles on the odometer) has low idle speeds when pulling up to the red light in stop N go traffic and with slight vibrations. After reading couple posts here, I want to clean this valve or sensor to see if it helps with this issue.

Could anyone post a picture of this valve location in out engine bay and tips to remove it for cleaning?
See Annotated Pictures / Help with locating parts on 98+ 3S-FE - Toyota RAV4 Forums : RAV4World.com for annotated pictures of a similar but later engine

2009 V6 4wd Base
#4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,150 Times in 829 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by siennadrift View Post
There is NO idle control valve on your RAV4. The idle is controlled by the computer. There is a throttle body with an air vane controlled by a motor and a throttle position sensor to send feedback to the computer. I suggest you download the service manual. Look under "2AZ-FE Engine Control System" and then "Throttle Body"--there are detailed instructions on how to remove it. You could then thoroughly inspect and clean the throttle body. Download the manual here:

Download 2006_RAV4_SM.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug1701 View Post
There is NO idle control valve on your RAV4. The idle is controlled by the computer. There is a throttle body with an air vane controlled by a motor and a throttle position sensor to send feedback to the computer. I suggest you download the service manual. Look under "2AZ-FE Engine Control System" and then "Throttle Body"--there are detailed instructions on how to remove it. You could then thoroughly inspect and clean the throttle body. Download the manual here:

Download 2006_RAV4_SM.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Thanks for the info. It seems like I have to replace the throttle body gasket when removing it for cleaning. I took out the air intake box today and saw couple steel pipes that are connected to the throttle body. I have to be very careful when removing the hoses and not to break anything. I will give it a shot this weekend.

07 Sport I4 2wd
#6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't suggest that you remove the entire TB just to clean it out, particularly the IAC valve. I would just try to spray some TB cleaner into the intake and orifices first. That has cleared up any IAC related problem for me on several vehicles. Don't get me wrong removing the TB and giving it a thorough cleaning may be needed in some rare situations, but I doubt with just 78k on the clock you built up that much gunk.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 PM

The TB can be removing to clean and what it is the steps to follow?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

I just looked yesterday at how deeply buried the Throttle body is and I really don't feel like messing with that much trouble unless it is really acting up badly. I have done what RAV4Don mentioned in the past. Just spray some cleaner in and it runs better.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav408 View Post
I just looked yesterday at how deeply buried the Throttle body is and I really don't feel like messing with that much trouble unless it is really acting up badly. I have done what RAV4Don mentioned in the past. Just spray some cleaner in and it runs better.
Yes, access on these engines can be a royal PITA for doing engine work. When I had the engines out of my Camarao and Chevy truck, I took the time to completely rebuild the TBs. There are aftermarket rebuild kits with all the replacement parts and gaskets. Some have injector rebuild parts. TBs are simplier than carbs to rebuild from my experience.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page