anyone switched from pink antifreeze to something different? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
anyone switched from pink antifreeze to something different?

I did google searches for super long life coolant leaks and found a number of posts from toyota mechanics indicating that number of water pump and seal leaks increased exponentially after the new pink coolant was phased in. We all know about the water pumps failing from seal leak in RAV4s. Anyone switching over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
#3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 AM

are you sure they're phased out? i'm still using the pink anticoolant with no problems. 2008 V6 with 30k miles on it. had to fill it once because it was running low. i think i have to fill it again. it's only been 3 years and i'm going to be filling it twice due to it running low.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 AM

I switched to the green stuff a while back. I don't trust the pink stuff long term (I read the reviews and reports on the long life pink stuff too) and would rather do a flush every 2 years as required by the standard green stuff. There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing colors so long as you completely flush the old stuff out.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

I think with most cars these days you should avoid any coolants containing silicates as these seems to shorten water pump seal life.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
I did google searches for super long life coolant leaks and found a number of posts from toyota mechanics indicating that number of water pump and seal leaks increased exponentially after the new pink coolant was phased in. We all know about the water pumps failing from seal leak in RAV4s. Anyone switching over?
Exponentially? I went looking for numbers to support that, and I did not find any. Now I could imagine a mechanic seeing a higher percentage of his business being replacing water pumps, but that could be due to his doing fewer ignition and fuel related repairs.

It seems to me that water pumps have developed leaks historically. They used to be easier to replace in the old days.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

I just replaced mine yesterday. The owners manual says the pink coolant will last 5 years or 100K miles. I have heard not to leave it past the 3 year mark (and I'm already past 50K miles) so I changed it. Cheap insurance as I see it. The new Prestone says it is compatible with any coolant, andy color from any manufacturer and it says it will also last 5 years or 150K miles. I change it out once a years just to prevent sediment build up. I get a gallon of Prestone for $11. Toyota wanted $40 for a gallon of the pink stuff and the parts guy wasn't sure if it would last another 100K miles or if it needed regular flushing.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav408 View Post
Toyota wanted $40 for a gallon of the pink stuff and the parts guy wasn't sure if it would last another 100K miles or if it needed regular flushing.
Here are a couple quotes from the 2009 Scheduled Maintenance Guide:
Quote:
Initial replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter. Refer to Engine
Coolant in the Explanation of Maintenance Items section in the back of this guide for more information.
Quote:
NOTE:
Your Toyota is equipped with Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Coolant. The replacement
intervals for engine coolant recommended in this booklet are based on replacement
with Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Coolant or similar high-quality non-silicate,
non-amine, non-borate ethylene-glycol coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid
technology (i.e., a combination of low phosphates and organic acids). If another type of
ethylene-glycol coolant is used, replacement intervals may be different.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I had the dealership replace my coolant at 100,000 miles. Still on the original water pump at 130,000 miles.

To The BlackMobile!!!
#10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

These new coolants and their benefits and compatabilities confuse the heck out of me. I don't plan to put the green stuff in the RAV. But when I do change it, I'll probably go with whatever is on the shelf in the parts store that has the closest match to the OEM Toyota pink stuff.

FWIW, I did switch the GM Dexacool out of my 97 Camaro when I rebuilt the engine. I use the green stuff it it now.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page