Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights explained - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to brouillr
lights out

My lights were on for about a week and then went out on their own. They have been out now for about 2 weeks. The lights are working because they light up during start-up. Should I be worried?

" Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late "
(J.Buffett's A Pirate Looks at 40)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM

@brouillr, try this: Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights explained

My CEL, VSC and 4WD came on and went out several times over the last 6 months or so. Finally they stuck on. A little debug from the above link showed:
CEL 14, 93
P/S 41
VSC 51
4WD 82

I took a trip to my local autoparts store and they read code P0354 (ignition coil D). I swapped the coil pack in cylinder 4 (front middle) with the one in cylinder 6 (front drivers side) and the code changed to P0356. $85.99 later and a new coil pack in cylinder 6 - problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to cgun For This Useful Post:
2007Rav4BlackBox (12-24-2013)
#63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM

where is the HO2S Heater Control Circuit and the O2 Heater Circuit.

Blackwaterpark
#64 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgun View Post
My CEL, VSC and 4WD came on and went out several times over the last 6 months or so. Finally they stuck on. A little debug from the above link showed:
CEL 14, 93
P/S 41
VSC 51
4WD 82

I took a trip to my local autoparts store and they read code P0354 (ignition coil D). I swapped the coil pack in cylinder 4 (front middle) with the one in cylinder 6 (front drivers side) and the code changed to P0356. $85.99 later and a new coil pack in cylinder 6 - problem solved.
This goes to show that when the CEL is on the VSC & 4WD codes may be meaningless and just lead some people to chase dead ends.
#65 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM

I've been living with having these 4 dash lights come on intermittently for the past 2 winters.. always seemed to come on in cold weather and snow.. just when I needed 4wd, abs and traction control the most. About a month ago they were coming on daily and really drove me nuts. I finally jumpered the OBD2 port as per another thread on this forum.. and it turned out it was a fault in the right rear wheel speed sensor, which subsequently caused the abs to fail. I took the wheel off, removed the sensor and cleaned all the rust off the hub so the sensor sat flat when reinstalled, but this didnt help. I finally caved and bought a new sensor online. Installing the new one was a piece of cake. Dr. Dyno posted instructions somewhere on this forum.. and it only took me about 35 mins to do.. and I'm far from mechanically inclined. New sensor has been in for over a week now and so far no issues.. dash light problem is gone. yeehaw! dealer wanted 1hr to diagnose, 1.5 hrs to install + parts = roughly $500 +tax. I paid $169 for the part and installed myself.. saved a bundle.
The Following User Says Thank You to crisko For This Useful Post:
2007Rav4BlackBox (12-24-2013)
#66 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good move crisko!
I cleaned mine a couple of times and it did help. But, knowing I'd need a new one eventually I finally bought a new left rear ABS sensor online for about the $169 you paid. Had it for probably six months, laying around somewhere. The lights started coming on occasionally and the sensor made it's way out of the mess on the bench somehow, so I finally got it installed. As you mentioned not a big deal to install. Just have to use care removing the several small bolts that secure the wire out of harms way. No more lights.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#67 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Less than a month old and 1000 miles, and with the first good rain my new rav4 is exhibiting these same old problems- abs, brake, skid, and vsc lights stuck on. I am not impressed that Toyota cannot do any better than this after all the years of known problems, and more disgusted with my dealer who says they cannot look at it for 6 days. I was going up to the snow this weekend but not with dubious braking and traction control systems. I expected better when I bought a new Toyota.

I shorted pins 4-13 on the obd and the codes displayed do not seem to be in the list posted here. I'm going to have to see if I can upgrade the firmware in my old auto x-ray to work on this car. If this is a dirty wheel sensor issue I should probably just sell the car now as I know it will be an endless problem. If I can't drive in a little mud what good is 4WD?

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Last edited by bob-o; 12-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
#68 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 AM

Out of the blue today my 2006 Rav4 Limited (52K miles) threw the CEL/VSC/4WD trio. When I parked the car after a short drive down the highway it was fine... got in a few hours later and was greeted by the Check Engine light and its dubious friends.

I reset the system (using the fuse method) and tightened the gas cap just in case but it threw them again a few hundred feet down the road. Read the blink codes... this is where it gets interesting:

CC=69, CEL=15, AIR=43, VSC=51, 4WD=82

I figure most of them are cascading codes: it's the Check Engine Light code that's puzzling... from everything I've read there is no code 15 for a Toyota Rav4, and I checked it several times (it just keeps repeating "15"... with the same long pause between "15"s).

Your thoughts? I'm going to take it in later today or tomorrow and pray my Toyota Platinum extended warranty covers whatever is going on... I've read enough horror stories already about evap canisters and the like.
#69 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

The only one I found for 15 is C2115/15 Transmitter ID5 Operation Stop - Tire pressure warning valve and transmitter - Tire pressure warning ECU. That is TPMS stuff. I wouldn't have expected that code to be delivered by the MIL light.

Got air in the spare?

2009 V6 4wd Base
#70 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM

I was able to solve the problem in my new car with the help of the obd2 codes. The connector to the stop lamp relay was not seated. I would have preferred that the dealer not make it necessary for me to do it myself by having such a long delay for service, but this time it was easy.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page