Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Where is transmission fluid drain plug?

59K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  avs 
#1 ·
Where is transmission fluid drain plug? Is it protected by a plastic shroud? I change my oil and would like to change atf on my 2007 4 cyl with 30k miles. Thanks

#2 ·
You have to remove the plastic cover from the under body. Either that or drill a hole with a big enough hole saw like I did. The plug is located around the middle of the plastic shroud, closer to the drivers side. Close to where the exhaust pipe comes out of the cover. It points straight down, and is the size of a Silver Dollar, so it's easy to drain.

#5 ·
I removed the shroud because I wanted to drop the pan and change the filter. But I like the idea of cutting a hole for the next time when I will just do a fluid chnage only. I will consider that approach, but want to be certain that i don't compromise the integrity of the shroud. There is a lot of air pressure on that thing at highway speeds and a hole could create problems. :shrug:

#6 ·
Don't worry about it Don. I did mine many months ago and my wife drives 35 highway miles to work each way (and we have already taken several out of state trips). I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever. I think it is a good solution as you say for just a fluid change. I will probably drop the shroud and pan next time to get at the filter, but I don't think the filter needs replacing as much as the fluid does. A fresh fluid will keep your tranny alive much longer, but I didn't come away thinking from my fluid change thinking that the filter was clogged or dirty. First the fluid looked pretty clean, and secondly the magnetic plug had no residue at all on it.

#10 · (Edited)
so I did ATF drain & fill. 06 Rav4 2.4L I4. almost 6 yrs, odo 68,000km

Today, I did transmission ATF drain & fill
for my 2006 Rav4 2.4L I4 4speed automatic.
almost 6 years old, odo 68,000km.

Instead of Toyota's WS ATF,
I found that Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is recommended for WS.
Walmart Canada sells MaxLife 5 Liters for CDN$24.

Like other guys, I made hole under the drain bolt.
10mm Allen wrench worked easy and fine.

The drained Toyota WS fluid was pretty dark.
It's like old engine oil color.
I got 3.5L drained, so I added 3.5L(3.7qt)

**ADDED on Nov 21, 2011:
After 5 days from 1st drain & fill, I did 2nd drain &fill.
This time I got 3.2L drained, less than 1st drain.
I think it's because I drove only 1 km to warm up at November's chilly weather.
I can't find anything better or worse, but I feel good now.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
After 2 ATF drain & fills with Maxlife, I noticed the transmission clunk is gone now.
(Edit: Not 100% clunk gone, 50% reduced, so not annoying now)
I mean this noise, "clunk noise on shifting from reverse into drive when it's cold and idle rpm is high"
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/61835-hard-shifting-reverse-when-cold-2.html

I think this is because Maxlife ATF's viscosity is higher than Toyota WS's.
I don't know whether this viscosity difference will be good or bad for my trans life and mileage.

#12 ·
#13 ·
The Toyota's TSB T-SB-0006-11 says;
• 100,000 Mile Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.
• The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.
• The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.
• ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

Let's see specs.
I could not find Toyota WS's specification,
but since AMSOIL and MAG1 claim WS compatible, it must be similar to WS.

I think the Maxlife's viscosity specs are in between,
and very close to Toyota WS.

1. Recommended for DEXRON® VI, MERCON LV, SP or Toyota WS
http://www.sinwal.com/data/g2634.pdf
AMSOIL Synthetic Low-Viscosity
Viscosity 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 6.0
Viscosity 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 29.8
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 153
Pour Point, °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -53

Product Details - Mag 1
MAG 1 DEXRON®-VI
Viscosity @ 100°C cSt ASTM D445 6.16
Viscosity @ 40°C cSt ASTM D445 30.94
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 152
Pour Point °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -51

2. Maxlife claims, It's almost for every vehicle(Toyota T, T-111, T-IV, WS) http://sklep.intercars.com.pl/dynamic/s_tow_ozi.php?towkod=9D431E&typ=PDF&lp=0&job=dwnl

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/2451.pdf
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ºC 6.3
Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ºC 30.3
Viscosity Index 165
Pour Point, ºC -51

3. Recommended for Toyota TI, T-II, T-III and Toyota T-IV. But NOT Toyota WS.
Product Data Sheet Q8 Unitrans JK
Kinematic Viscosity, 100 °C 7.2
Kinematic Viscosity, 40 °C 35.7
Viscosity Index D 2270 - 174
Pour Point D 97 °C -42

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...sets/downloads_pdfs/c/Castrol_ATF_TQ_DIII.pdf
CASTROL ATF TQ DIIIAutomatic transmission fluid
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100ºC 7.2
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 ºC 35
Viscosity Index 172
Pour Point ºC -46

I know just using Toyota OEM WS is simple...
and I don't know why I'm doing different way.:wall

#14 ·
I am getting ready to do my gf's 4 cylinder transmission fluid change and I have been doing alot of research and searching. Interesting there is no filter rather a screen, that will be cleaned. Also I refuse to believe only one fluid can go in a car. That seems to be a problem with foreign car makers and their "parts". Also I will never let a fluid be a lifetime fluid, they will all need changing if they go far enough in a vehicle. Below is the link on the valvoline website

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

"Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by
Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement

of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty."

Suitable for use in:
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications

I will be using this in the change, I hope to quiet down the steering clunk as well as add some new pin stripes and a oil change and wax. A little TLC goes a long way! Her car has 65k on it now, it is an 07 base. She loves it and I am taking a liking to the little guy, not to mention this form has been useful thus far!

Tyler

#18 ·
I will be doing the same change soon. I will not be dropping the pan. Do you expect the screen to be dirty at 30,000 miles? Does the screen even catch any particle?

I have 5 bottles (1 litre each) of T-IV that I bought for my Mazda6 last year from the Toyota dealer around the corner. I have since sold the MAzda without using the T-IV. I am hoping the dealer will take them back so Ithat I can buy WS fluid.

#20 ·
Toyota TSB said:
• 100,000 Mile Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.
I've said this before, but it bears repeating:

Regardless of what the manufacturer claims, there is NO SUCH THING as "lifetime" fluid, except perhaps in certain jet aircraft engines that cost more than all our RAVs put together.

These claims are marketing hype used to make people believe that the manufacturer's vehicles require less routine maintenance than the other guys'. Sure, if driven under the exact right conditions you may indeed go many many miles without servicing your transaxle...but for something that takes less time than a motor oil change and costs about the same, do you really want to risk it?

#23 ·
I have been reading this thread, which is very informative! Great job. I also spent some time going over other websites and related info. I found that Toyota sells for about 325 bucks a "Transmission Fill System" tool (00002-11100-02) which has a pump. I could not find details about how is it used, probably to remove the old oil. But I am not sure if it is also used to pump new oil in, the name "filling" would imply that!

Somebody has mentioned here in Rav4world the problems that arise fro bubbles in the system. Now AMSOIL warns about improperly filling the transmission if the tool is not used, which would cause exactly that (bubbles).

Consumers... do not have the Toyota Transmission Fill System. Without this equipment, proper flush and change procedures may not be accurately completed, leaving the consumer’s transmission vulnerable to the detrimental effects of incorrect fill volume. Under-filled transmissions can result in erratic shift patterns and, ultimately, transmission failure.

What should be done to avoid these problems? One clear step is to replace exactly the same amount drained. But could bubbles be created by draining without using Toyota's magic tool? (It is magic because it creates gold $$$ for Toyota LOL!)

Here's the report:
http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesb...009-10-01 toyota transmission fill system.pdf

Thanks, and as always this forum is great!

#35 ·
I have been reading this thread, which is very informative! Great job. I also spent some time going over other websites and related info. I found that Toyota sells for about 325 bucks a "Transmission Fill System" tool (00002-11100-02) which has a pump. I could not find details about how is it used, probably to remove the old oil. But I am not sure if it is also used to pump new oil in, the name "filling" would imply that!

Somebody has mentioned here in Rav4world the problems that arise fro bubbles in the system. Now AMSOIL warns about improperly filling the transmission if the tool is not used, which would cause exactly that (bubbles).

Consumers... do not have the Toyota Transmission Fill System. Without this equipment, proper flush and change procedures may not be accurately completed, leaving the consumer’s transmission vulnerable to the detrimental effects of incorrect fill volume. Under-filled transmissions can result in erratic shift patterns and, ultimately, transmission failure.

What should be done to avoid these problems? One clear step is to replace exactly the same amount drained. But could bubbles be created by draining without using Toyota's magic tool? (It is magic because it creates gold $$$ for Toyota LOL!)

Here's the report:
http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesb...009-10-01 toyota transmission fill system.pdf

Thanks, and as always this forum is great!
interesting info. I haven't seen it before.

#24 ·
I just did a trans filter and four quart fluid change yesterday. Bought the filter from rockauto for $20 and the fluid from Advance autoparts on sale for $22.70. I bought three of the four quart jugs. I had changed the fluid once before at around 40,000 miles, but the filter was still original. The car has 115,000 miles on it right now and I do tow very often with it.

The fluid coming out was a little dirty, but it did not smell burnt. There were three magnets in the bottom of the trans pan. There was some metal on them, but I was expecting that at 115,000 miles. There were no big chunks of metal, just some very fine slurry. The pan came off very easily and the old gasket simply pulled off. I merely wiped the pan surface with a clean rag to prep it for the new gasket. Everything was an exact fit. I added four quarts back in and the car runs and drives just fine. It seems as if the trans is a little smoother.

I will be changing four more quarts another 10K or so down the road. I am at $43 bucks in parts for this filter and fluid change. I highly recommend this fluid for anyone using Toyota WS fluid as it is much cheaper.

#30 ·
NEED HELP - I did a drain and replace in May, and the last 2 weeks, now having vibrations while in most gears - levels off at highway - but I suspect still there, just unnoticeable at 65 mph. I still had the bottles in the barn trash and see I F*d up -- not WS. Went under the car last night and tranny now leaking. So, Is the drain and fill I did last night (and another in a few weeks) going to remedy this, or have I done permanant damage. I need to drive this every day for work and putting lots of miles on it.

#36 ·
I would like to thank everyone who has posted so far.

The Rav4 is my wife's car. It started with the loud vibration (shudder) in that 38-40 mph range about 1 year ago. After an internet search I found the problem was common but didn't find a solution. Back in March we took it to the dealer and they said I needed to replace the torque converter. Not wanting to spend the money at the time I declined and started researching deeper and found this site and several threads on the subject. After reading this thread I had the confidence to do the drain and refill on my own. Current Mileage is 134,926.

Using the corrected template posted in post #10, I found the drain plug and found it to be in nearly the same spot as the red X.

Tonight I cut the hole in my lower shroud and removed the drain plug. Only problem I had was when the fluid got behind the shroud toward the end of the drain. Probably could have prevented if I pushed the shroud against the drain pan.

I replaced the plug and approximately the same amount of fluid as removed. I used the Valvoline Maxlife product mentioned above. Only cost about $18 at Walmart.

On the test drive the shudder was gone immediately. Tried to duplicate accelerating and decelerating but could not get it to occur.

How many times should I replace the fluid to get it as clean as possible. How much should we drive between fluid changes to get the mixing done?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Attachments

#37 ·
IMHO I would stay away from the valvoline maxlife and stick with the oem Toyota ws or the Aisin ws fluid.
I believe valvoline maxlife has different viscosity as the oem Toyota ws Or the Aisin ws. These transmission are very sensitive to temperature and viscosity of the fluid. Btw Aisin is the transmission maker.

3 drain and fills over the course of 3 days will get most of the dirty fluid out.

#38 ·
#42 ·
Page 3 of this thread. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ansmission-fluid-drain-plug-2.html#post896212
T-SB-0006-11
• The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.
• The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.
• ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.
YMMV. It's your transmission. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.