TSB about OIL CONSUMPTION - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Member
Country: bngski's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: philly, PA
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
500 shy of 60k warranty and will try to get to the dealership for a test, tnx for the tsb
bngski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Junior Member
Country: MrTrav's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 16
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MrTrav
I was experiencing a rattle from the engine anywhere around 1500-2000 rpm's i brought it in and explained what i have read about the TSB online and that could be the problem..... I was hoping it wasn't the problem..... they looked around the motor and agreed that might be the issue and they then told me they needed to do an oil consumption test to confirm its the issue after 1200 miles i brought it back they confirmed it was burning almost 2 quarts every 1200 miles and explained they needed my ok to take the motor apart and check the pistons and explained that toyota care would cover it and they gave me a free rental witch was a corolla i wasnt too happy as its hard to fit a 6 foot large guy in one of those but anyway all said and done its fixed and feels so much better with more acceleration and runs smoother i attached the invoice of the parts they replaced and they covered almost $3000 and they explained to me that this was not the first time they have done this...... i can now see why its a TSB not a recall cuz it would be too expensive but if it wasnt for the toyota care extended warranty it wouldnt be covered!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service History Online - Toyota Owners copy.pdf (179.3 KB, 36 views)

2007 Rav4 Base 4WD


http://www.geocaching.com
MrTrav is offline  
#63 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
Country: friendly_jacek's Flag is: United States
 
friendly_jacek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 27
Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seized rings? Interesting. Was it ever explained what the defect was in those oil burners?
friendly_jacek is offline  
#64 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
Country: pepepeter's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Posts: 421
Thanks: 30
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrav View Post
I was experiencing a rattle from the engine anywhere around 1500-2000 rpm's i brought it in and explained what i have read about the TSB online and that could be the problem..... I was hoping it wasn't the problem..... they looked around the motor and agreed that might be the issue and they then told me they needed to do an oil consumption test to confirm its the issue after 1200 miles i brought it back they confirmed it was burning almost 2 quarts every 1200 miles and explained they needed my ok to take the motor apart and check the pistons and explained that toyota care would cover it and they gave me a free rental witch was a corolla i wasnt too happy as its hard to fit a 6 foot large guy in one of those but anyway all said and done its fixed and feels so much better with more acceleration and runs smoother i attached the invoice of the parts they replaced and they covered almost $3000 and they explained to me that this was not the first time they have done this...... i can now see why its a TSB not a recall cuz it would be too expensive but if it wasnt for the toyota care extended warranty it wouldnt be covered!
so wait a sec.. was the engine rattle caused due to low oil levels from the oil consumption??? Can you describe the engine rattle?? and was your vin# in the range listed on teh TSB? thanks,
pepepeter is offline  
#65 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Junior Member
Country: MrTrav's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 16
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MrTrav
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepeter View Post
so wait a sec.. was the engine rattle caused due to low oil levels from the oil consumption??? Can you describe the engine rattle?? and was your vin# in the range listed on teh TSB? thanks,
well the supposed issue is the piston rings seize up causing ridiculous about of oil burn off way more then the toyota standard also damaging the pistons

2007 Rav4 Base 4WD


http://www.geocaching.com
MrTrav is offline  
#66 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
Country: pepepeter's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Posts: 421
Thanks: 30
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrav View Post
well the supposed issue is the piston rings seize up causing ridiculous about of oil burn off way more then the toyota standard also damaging the pistons
but what about the engine rattle between 1500-2000rpm you experienced? I ask because I am experiencing a rattle between the rpm range, but on and off experience the oil consumption as well.. currently, the rattle is at its worst, but hard for me to determine if my oil is being consumed due to weird readings with the dipstick (that issue has been brought up in another thread).

also, how did the dealer determine you consumed 2qts in 1200 miles?? the dipstick only measures 1-1.5 qts... it must have been bare metal when you took in for the oil consumption results. Can you verify if the dealer marked the dipstick as the TSB states? i had one dealer fill it past the upper notch (nearl 1/2 inche over) and not mark the notch as expected. of course when i took it back, the claimed "oh its at the full mark level, your rav4 is doing great and not consuming any oil". Since then, i have to redo the oil test, but currently in a relocation process due to work.
pepepeter is offline  
#67 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
gregb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: montego bay
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to gregb
that rattling your talking does it sounds like when a bicycle is cruising and u would hear the spraket making that sound until u start pedaling again ,,

2006 Rav4
1998 Rav4
gregb is offline  
#68 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Junior Member
Country: ibtisamjawad's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nevada
Posts: 18
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is unethical for the dealership to overfill the oil. As everyone else stated, they are doing it so that they do not have to perform an expensive fix at no cost to you. Having said that ... would it be too much of a stretch for us to drain some of the oil before going in for the re-check? Even if they have a tamper-resistant drain plug - which they do not - you can use a small hand-vacuum pump and plastic tube to take out oil from the fill area. I know it is completely wrong to do such a thing, and one wrong doesn't justify another, but you on the other hand face the prospect of a multi-thousand dollar engine fix because of the dealership's unethical behavior.
ibtisamjawad is offline  
#69 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
Country: dtalk's Flag is: United States
 
dtalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 546
Thanks: 11
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here the thing you ca do "ibtisamjawad" when they put the oil in or check level, you need to be present and check the level yourself with them. Then watch them pull your vehicle out of the service bay, take your key and drive your required 1,500 miles. Return your vehicle to your dealer and ask them that you want to accompany then to see where the level is at. This will give you a peace a mind and a true reading.

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
dtalk is offline  
#70 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the same problem with my Rav4 07 Sport 4cylinder oil consumption. Frustrating and scary when thinking of the repair cost. What we can do is send our complaints to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm to get our voices heard and get a recall.
buratbutu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome