Rav4 2006 Charcoal Canister - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shep, I'll certainly look into the solenoid. So far, I'm having some issues with finding a mechanic outside of a Toyota dealership who might do it. Can you tell me if the computer automatically re-programs itself after the installation to recognize the new part. Or does that take a Toyota technician to do it? I'm almost sure I can find someone to install it but the computer is another thing entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Well if it is anything like the charcoal canister system Toyota uses on the early Yaris, you'll have the same frustrations as I had. The charcoal canister/valve assembly fails due to water entry. Toyota somehow has gotten around the canister being included in the extended emissions warranty. Dealers will not warranty the repair. Although I do not see how ARB and EPA have not seen enough failure reports to mandate action, especially since Toyota issued a TSB acknowledging the failure. I wonder if the same was done for the other Toyota models?

In my case it was a $850 part plus labor to install or a $550 part that I could self-install. Can you guess which way I chose? After a new canister, filter assembly, vapor collar, and a weekend afternoon it was done. It's only a matter of time before it occurs again since its the same designed parts (I hope to get ride of it before that happens). I hope our new Rav does not experience the same thing.....

Best of luck to you.

PS. Speaking of the canister solenoid (valve), be cautious if you follow the FSM troubleshooting procedure. It has you remove the solenoid from the canister at one point to check operation. The solenoid is bolted to the canister via threaded inserts into the plastic housing which are certain to strip the bond to the housing since there will be some thread corrosion working against you = instant buying a new canister.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011RAV4ANDY View Post
Shep, I'll certainly look into the solenoid. So far, I'm having some issues with finding a mechanic outside of a Toyota dealership who might do it. Can you tell me if the computer automatically re-programs itself after the installation to recognize the new part. Or does that take a Toyota technician to do it? I'm almost sure I can find someone to install it but the computer is another thing entirely.
Once the defective part is replaced, the ECU will reset itself after driving the car for about 35-40 miles or so. You could always extinguish the engine light using an OBD scanner.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM

it doesn't "recognize" the new part per say, the diagnostic monitor will eventually run and the result should be within the passing range again. Fault will start healing and eventually extinguish the CEL and clear the fault from ECM memory. A clear fault message request from a code reader as suggested will work as well, but the monitor will not change to pass until it runs on it's own accord. Only a worry if you are just about to drive into the emissions test lane...
#15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Anyone know if there might be a TSB for modifying the ECM for 2004 Rav's?

My check engine lights came on and a P0456 code came up. I had them perform the smoke test at the dealer and they could not find a leak anywhere in the hoses. They ultimately said that my charcoal canister might need to be replaced.

I haven't noticed any problems with performance or gas mileage reductions ever since I've had the problem, but I do need to get it fixed to pass the emissions state inspection (Houston, TX).

Subsequent question, if I do need to replace the charcoal canister, other than getting a used one, is the installation equally as easy as the 2006 Rav's? Any tips on finding a similar charcoal canister part like in the TC Scion?

Thanks!
#16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ener_G View Post
Anyone know if there might be a TSB for modifying the ECM for 2004 Rav's?
You want to post in one of the 4.2 forums, because the people who know about 2004s would be there.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
mhj

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am having a similar problem. The filter fell off the car while driving, I took it to the dealer who replaced with Toyota covering 50% of the costs.

That was a few days ago, lights were cleared but today the same light came back on. I have driven it for about 70 miles. Any idea what's going on here?
#18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM
mhj

Just a follow up from previous post, took it to the dealer. They are saying the problem is with the charcoal canister pump. But Toyota does not sell the pump alone and I would have to replace the entire thing, quoting me $1000.
#19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the links, Carbon. I'm a victim of this undermanufactured flaw as well. Hose to the filter got broken off in snow, canister got gunked up and had to be replaced. P*sser! Thumbs down to Toyota for not accepting responsibility and making a fix.
#20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Hi there, I was also told that I need to replace a charcoal canister, with the total cost of $1200. I have Rav4 2009, at Toyota Service place. The part itself is $800, and $400 for service and misc. parts. I took it to another service place, and they told me the same thing. However, since then, the check engine lamp has been off. I am not sure if I want to spend that much money to replace the canister. Is it safe to drive with "bad" charcoal canister?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page