Rav4 2006 Charcoal Canister - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rav4 2006 Charcoal Canister

I have the 3 yellow lights of death because of the charoal canister problem on my Rav4. (check, dsp, and some other yellow light)
When I took it in for service yesterday they checked it out, called me and let me know it would be 650.00 to replace, then called back about 20 min later saying that their "parts guy is new" and gave the wrong price, now it will be 1000.00 bucks to replace because they have to remove the gas tank.
I've been looking around online, and it looks like I can buy the part for about 250-400 bucks depending on where I look (and hoping that its the correct part).

How hard is this to install myself?
and anyone have a bead on a cheaper place to get this part?

Can I not just buy a bag of charcoal at walmart, crush it up, and put it in a can? (joke).

Other than this issue, my steering wheel clicking when i turn, the accelarator pedal recall, and my cruse control not working for some reason, this has been a pretty good car. (got it with the 3rd seats in the back, which is awesome for the kids)

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM

I've got (I think) the same problem on my 08. As far as I know, the gas tank doesn't have to come out, to replace the canister, unless it does on the 06's. I've read a post where someone bought the Scion version of the canister and used that. About 1/4 the cost. I'm thinking of buying one used for around $75 and installing it myself. Good luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM

Its literally 4 bolts and reinstalling a few hoses...you can do it yourself. For under $300 easy...depending on the final cost of your canister.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Buy a used one online, from ebay. Its the SAME part as the Scion TC (same model year). I got mine for $75 shipped. Install took maybe 45 mins, mainly because there was a green hose connector under the car that gave me some trouble. Super easy swap.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Is this MIL because of physically broken charcoal canister?
or maybe because ECM software has too strict value for very small leak?

Toyota is recalibrating ECM if only DTC P0456 is present,
with 96 months or 80,000 miles emission warranty.

Just FYI

T-SB-0170-11/MIL "ON" DTC P0456 (2AZ-FE)/10-27-2011
Some 2006 – 2008 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with 2AZ-FE engines may exhibit a MIL
“ON” condition with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0456 – Evaporative Emission Control System
Leak Detected (Very Small Leak). The Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain
ControlModule/PCM) logic has been modified to reduce the possibility of this condition occurring.
Use the following repair procedure to address this condition.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect
for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-...27-2011-a.html

MIL "ON" DTC P0456(T-SB-0199-11)
Some 2009 – 2011 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with 2AR-FE engines may exhibit a MIL “ON” condition with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0456 – Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak). The Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) logic has been modified to reduce the possibility of this condition occurring.

Toyota Technical Service Bulletin Index
#6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM

I have a 2011 RAV4 4WD with 51000 mi. and have been told it needs a new charcoal canister at $900 for the part alone. Has anyone used a Scion canister on a late model RAV4 and does it actually meet RAV4 factory specs? I had a Toyo dealer do a pre-purchase check on the car and although the canister problem was shown on the maintenance log (as a bad canister) they failed to tell me this in their report. Now the dealer is saying that if the private owner reset the check engine lite and it wasn't on at the PPC they aren't responsible. So now I'm caught in the typical 'buyer beware' situation although I tried to do my due diligence and have it checked out before buying. By the way, the Autocheck and Carfax checked out fine no problems.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

2011RAV4ANDY , shouldn't the a 2011 RAV$ with only 51K miles be under Toyota Warranty??? Your car should be fixed free or is this one those items not covered under warranty?

Failing to disclose a known problem is even worse; otherwise you would have asked to have it to be fixed before your purchased the RAV.

You can also ask them to give you $ so that you can fix it somewhere else ... just to piss them off

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "OLIVA - Raise the curtain"
#8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011RAV4ANDY View Post
I have a 2011 RAV4 4WD with 51000 mi. and have been told it needs a new charcoal canister at $900 for the part alone. Has anyone used a Scion canister on a late model RAV4 and does it actually meet RAV4 factory specs?
Not me, but here are some threads you may find useful:

Need a New Vapor Canister

vapor canister replacement

2006 Rav4 Charcoal Vapor Canister Installation

And finally, here is the long thread where people were learning with the problem and figuring out how to deal with it: Lost parts of car going through a puddle on the freeway!

2009 V6 4wd Base
#9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply fellows.
Since I bought the car from a private seller and he didn't disclose I'm not sure how to approach the situation with the dealer. I certainly bought it 'as is'. Interestingly, I would hope everyone out there realized that the charcoal canister is only under a 36 mo. or 36K warranty while the rest of the emission system has a longer warranty. So, if my critical thinking is correct Toyo apparently knew this part wouldnt' make it that long so they reduced it's warrantly time. AND the part is absolutely ridiculously expensive to fix to boot. Kinda reminds me of the part prices for an old Mercedes.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Are you sure that is the problem I had one in my shop where the solenoid on the cannister had a corroded connection and the code and diagnostics pointed to the cannister, now of course the solenoid is not seperate , but I would dig a little deeper from a diagnostic stand point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page