Remote starter question - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote starter question

Hey guys,

I'm very close to purchasing a remote starter from Toyota for my '08 Rav limited.

I do have one question though. Is it possible for this scenario to happen: I'm driving, I pull into a store or something, park my car, get out with my keys and be able to leave the car running and lock the doors.

I'm assuming I could always shut off the car if needed, lock the doors then restart it, but I really like the idea of being able to run inside somewhere with my car running for a minute and not have to worry about shutting off or leaving it unlocked.

If this is able to happen, how does this work? You pull out the keys somehow?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I believe that's an option on some units but I'd call Best Buy and ask them. Had Viper installed on my brother-in-law's 2008 Base in Anchorage. They said they had the highest install rating of any US Best Buy, probably because they install more than anywhere else. I'm sure they'd know all the options so you could call them, remembering of course the 5 hour time difference from EST. (907) 344-4409

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
I believe that's an option on some units but I'd call Best Buy and ask them. Had Viper installed on my brother-in-law's 2008 Base in Anchorage. They said they had the highest install rating of any US Best Buy, probably because they install more than anywhere else. I'm sure they'd know all the options so you could call them, remembering of course the 5 hour time difference from EST. (907) 344-4409
I guess i need to go through Toyota though and get their OEM model so i can stay in warranty. i may just give them a call later when they open.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think adding an aftermarket remote starter can void a warranty unless it can be proven to be the cause of a failure of an OEM part. Otherwise no one would have one installed.
I've noted mention on the forum of many feature limitations of the OEM Toyota remote starter so I doubt you'd find the ones you want.

For instance they all, Toyota and aftermarket, shut the engine off if you get in and touch the brake pedal before turning the key on. I saw no logical reason for that since you can't drive off w/o unlocking the steering and bypassing the Park lock, so on my self-installed one I disconnected the wire to the brake light switch. Gave me a feature I wanted - no dumb shutoff.

Fred

Last edited by Dr. Dyno; 01-23-2012 at 03:08 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to redrogodbz
Hey there. I just installed a prestige APS787C on my rav4 and tried what you said. It is possible with the prestige, you just have to press the remote start buttom while the car is already running ( it wont restart the car). then you get out and the car wont stop running and you can lock it too
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-mtn-biker View Post
Hey guys,

I'm very close to purchasing a remote starter from Toyota for my '08 Rav limited.

I do have one question though. Is it possible for this scenario to happen: I'm driving, I pull into a store or something, park my car, get out with my keys and be able to leave the car running and lock the doors.

I'm assuming I could always shut off the car if needed, lock the doors then restart it, but I really like the idea of being able to run inside somewhere with my car running for a minute and not have to worry about shutting off or leaving it unlocked.

If this is able to happen, how does this work? You pull out the keys somehow?

Thanks
I don't know about the Toyota remote starter, but most units allow you to do the following:

With the motor running, press the START button on the remote. Wait about four or more seconds until you hear a "click" sound (some systems dim the dash lights), then turn the ignition switch off (the motor continues running). Pull the key out, step out of the car, and lock the doors with the remote.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

My after market remote start + alarm works that way. It also has better range than the factory unit. However it also adds a big dongle to my key chain, which the factory unit does not do.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 AM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, looks like my info was pretty off. I called the dealer and what they offer are two options, the Toyota remote which only has a range of 80 feet or so and the after market one that has a range of 900 feet. The after market one is cheaper too! So I dropped off car and it's being installed now! Can't wait to get it. I didn't realize how much I love my Rav until I had to drive a loaner.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM

I hope you are getting this remote starter installed at a certified installer (and definitely not Best Buy).

I love my 2-way CompuStar remote, but next time, I will probably just get the 1-way (smaller fob), and use their internet module so I can manage the car using my Android phone.

One thing I did do was replace my Toyota key with a key which doesn't have the fob integrated, which cuts down on the bulk of your keychain (my US 07 doesn't have PATS).

General G-MAX AS-03 235/55R18 summer tires
Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV5 225/70R16 snow tires
SoundFX antenna
Husky floor liners
CompuStar Pro P2W9000FM-AS
Canister shield
OEM mud flaps
Bluetooth OBDII+Torque
Griffin BlueTrip AUX + Pocket Amp 2
BlackVue DR400G-HD DVR + Power Magic Pro
#10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rav4 View Post
I hope you are getting this remote starter installed at a certified installer (and definitely not Best Buy).

One thing I did do was replace my Toyota key with a key which doesn't have the fob integrated, which cuts down on the bulk of your keychain (my US 07 doesn't have PATS).
Like anything else it depends on the store. BB in Anchorage is rated the best at installation. Your experience may vary. They did my brother-in-law's in a few hours vs. my likely few days. They love the auto start mode when it's -30 to -40F. I love not getting a call when something goes wrong.

I did the same thing with at key for the same anti-bulk reason. The OP won't have that option since his Limited will have an immobilizer like mine. I mounted the Valet key under the plastic cover under the ignition key the bypass it permanently.

Fred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page