Clunking noise in rear right wheel area: RESOLVED - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clunking noise in rear right wheel area: RESOLVED

Hey guys, I'd thought I would just post this as it may be a solution for some of you who may be experiencing this problem.

I have a little over 100K on my RAV4 and around 6-8 months ago, it started developing a metallic clunking noise in the rear right wheel. In the beginning it only happened when I went over rough patches of roads, but eventually it made that noise whenever I turn or sometimes even on smooth road. At times, it would even repeat the noise in successions of 3-5 clunks and then it would be gone. After awhile it started to get really annoying and I had to have it checked out. At first I thought it was maybe something in the trunk or stuff in the hidden compartments. But even when I cleared every thing out, it still had the noise.

I took it to work (at a Lexus dealership - no I don't sell cars) and had the guys check it out. After they did some test along with taking everything out of the back (trunk panels, rear wheel, etc.), it still made the noise. They thought it was maybe the shocks/struts probably worn so they replaced it. It still made the noise and upon closer inspection, they found it was the right rear toe adjustment link was loose. They tightened the link up and now the noise is gone. They did tell me to keep my ears open if the noise come back.

HTH

Ming

2007 RAV4 Sport V6 2WD Flint Mica / 2008 IS250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanks raptor22! I've had similar issues recently on my rear left suspension. Since I just had major work done due to an accident a couple of months ago, I figured it might be something like this. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing an infrequent clunking when I drove over larger bumps. It is slowly increasing in frequency. Now I can print this thread out when I go back to the shop.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM

this can be my problem !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page