R/R sway bar end link replaced, it had broken!!! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
R/R sway bar end link replaced, it had broken!!!

Just a bit over $200 for both the parts, which were just under $100 and another hour of labor.

One day while I was driving around JFK Airport, I heard this massive thud from underneath the rear of the truck and subsequently, the knock kept coming from the Drivers Side Rear someplace.

Did the usual checking to see if there was loose cargo in the storage hatch as well as the tire tools back there but all was well with that.

This past weekend I had taken the wheel off and jacked the truck up and found that the swaybar end link was snapped at the threads and either the sway bar or more likely, the dangling end-link was making the noise when going over bumps. On the highways and driving at speed over smooth roads, no problems, no noise, it was really apparent going slower and over bumpy roads.

The good news is that the job is done and the wife says "No more sounds".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad to hear you found it reasonably quickly and the repair wasn't too bad.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks RTexasF, on Saturday when I had called my local Toyota Dealer, they had the link in stock. When I called back on Monday after they did not return my call on Saturday, they said they'd have the link in on Tuesday and could replace it this morning.

I tried to get the nut that holds the link to the sway bar off but my impact gun, nor my brute strength could get it to budge, that and the fact that the sway bar would keep moving, I decided that to pay the $94 for the hour of labor wasn't a bad deal. I could also found an aftermarket or the OEM link online and save some money there but for $200, the job is done.

They also did the floormat/gas pedal recall as well. I really didn't want them shaving the pedal down but they did what they did and that is that.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Is there anything that you might attribute this damage to (ex. large pot hole, etc.). Was the link corroded?

2007 Red Limited V6 4WD
w/ Tow package
#5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arries289 View Post
Is there anything that you might attribute this damage to (ex. large pot hole, etc.). Was the link corroded?

Excellent question(s) arries289 and I thought of this myself, of course.

The link was NOT corroded at any way. It snapped where the threads go through the lower arm.

I did search the other night and had seen that the same thing happened to 2 other people on this board. My search was not very thorough as I think I typed in something like "banging/thud/noise coming from rear end". But I did see 2 instances where the posters shared that one of their rear-end links had broken at the threaded portion.

Now, it is my wife's Rav. I know that when she drives, she does not even try whatsoever to avoid any rough part/pothole, nothing. That is just the way she is and probably like most people.

The weekend, like 3 weekends ago, when I first heard the knock, I think the day before she had cut a curve in the road too close and ran over the curb with her 2 right tires, thankfully no damage to either the wheels or to the alignment but, BUT, it could be that the sudden shift of weight to the left-side of the truck/left suspension, could have then caused that link to snap.

Later that day or the next day, when I was at the airport was the first time I heard the bang. Either that or the bang I had heard was from the first time the link had broken. It was like someone shot a golf ball up at the bottom of the truck.

At least if someone does a search for rear end link, maybe my post will come up so others will be informed.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM

I had my rear stabilizer bar link break recently as well. It snapped off at the threaded portion. My 2007 has ~200,000km vast majority are highway so I am a little surprised that it happened.

I just finished replacing both links, but now I have a different noise coming from the back end that is even worse. Didn't have time to put it back on stands and look again but I am confused. Replacing the links it literally just a matter of removing two nuts (assuming the link isn't broken, it its broken just one nut to remove) slide out the old, slide in the new and put the nuts back on.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM

(Thread Starter)
I just had the 2nd recall done for the new suspension arms that I had installed just this past Monday, or Tuesday, and wouldn't you know it, the L/R-passenger sway bar link has broken.

Freaking Toyota for putting cheap/thin links and making me/us pay to have them replaced.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 PM

If you want a quality aftermarket replacement try MOOG. They are built beefier and have a lifetime warranty.

Jeff
2007 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD 7-Passenger
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Seems like this happens frequently enough to report to the NHSTA?

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRAV View Post
If you want a quality aftermarket replacement try MOOG. They are built beefier and have a lifetime warranty.
Thanks. The link was replaced this morning and unfortunately, not with a MOOG link. The new link looks exactly like the updated Toyota/OEM link, just painted black instead of silver/metal. It is thicker above the threads whereas the original link/rod was the same diameter throughout its entire length.

Last edited by Thundra; 01-23-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page