2006 RAV 4 -BURNING OIL - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 RAV 4 -BURNING OIL

My 4cyl 2006 RAV 4 (Bought new) began to burn oil in November/2011. I noticed loud valve sounds on or about the 2500 mi. mark post the November Oil change that was done at the dealership where I purchased the car. I called them and brought it back telling them it was out of oil. I was angry, wondering how much damage may have been incurred. There was nothing on the engine block, or ground or underneath in the pan. Nothing. They refilled the oil after doing an inspection and had nothing to offer why this happened - but to keep an eye on it. By the end of December, I began to hear valves again, and the dipstick was practically dry. I added the needed oil and called a different dealer - outlining what was going on. I went in, and a thorough inspection was done looking for evidence of oil loss AND for engine damage. "No evidence of loss of oil".
The summary report post service was the recommendation to replace the engine as it was burning oil; $6000. for used engine; $9,000. for new. This was unexpected, shocking and it flies in the face of WHY I bought Toyota, and their Mission Statement. I sought out other RAV owners via blogs, internet and other sources, and found that this problem existed. I came upon a site that, for a small sum, you could chat with qualified, licensed mechanics (& other professionals). I chatted with a Master Toyota Technician from CA who set me straight about my engine:
1st a memo went out to distributors and Toyota retail from corporate -regarding my 4cyl engine developing, burning oil. It will not be a recall because it is not a safety issue. Silence to be maintained at every outlet concerning this development.
2nd. Check oil level per every gas fill up., change the oil weight to 5w/30..you can go indefinitely with this status - at least until my spreadsheet is compiled with pertinent data to discuss with corporate. If the ratio of the burn is 1 Qt per 1200 miles- that's bad; or you get more than 1200 miles without adding a qt., means you have no problem…(?).. less than 1200 miles and needing oil is the unacceptable hitch - He advised talking with Toyota towards evoking good will resulting in aid with engine repair. I followed the manual for all maintenance since it was new and up to now., and everything in between was done at a dealership. COMMENTS? ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO?
The Following User Says Thank You to ReillyS For This Useful Post:
06Rav (06-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reilly,
This is a much-discussed subject on the forum. But your 2006 would be a 4.3 not the 4.2 you posted under. Maybe that's why you missed this recent one:
Engine oil low light comes on when braking hard
And I put in a link to another thread with 90 posts!

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
ReillyS (05-02-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
HI Fred, I put the engine that was on my description window sticker when you are shopping for your vehicle at a dealer. I did that on purpose because it ought to be right! Thank you for your post, and I will check out what you sent as well. ----WAIT---- Actually, I trans-versed that info. The sticker reads 2006 2.4 Liter DISP 4CYL 16V DOHC, VVT-i Engine, - this is right off the dealers' window sticker. I keep stuff like this until the vehicle is no longer mine......I also see that my Toyota Dealer has an incorrect ID # on my bill....gotta straighten that out too because I'm pursuing Toyota Corp. to "make it right". Toyota standard oil ratio is 1 Qt per 1200 miles. I'm just managing 735 miles before it drops from the top of the dipstick to below the bottom dot....how's that huh? S
#4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Just to add....I'd not been experiencing oil loss between changes until my latest change @ 40K on my 2007. Coincidentally, this is also the 1st time using 5W-20 oil. I'm down 3/4 qt @ 2K....I change every 5K.

My 2002 Camry with the same engine? @ 100K uses ZERO oil between changes.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,201 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Just to add....I'd not been experiencing oil loss between changes until my latest change @ 40K on my 2007. Coincidentally, this is also the 1st time using 5W-20 oil. I'm down 3/4 qt @ 2K....I change every 5K.
What oil were you using before?

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
What oil were you using before?
I'd always used 10W-30 or 10W-40 with no oil use whatsoever.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,201 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'd always used 10W-30 or 10W-40 with no oil use whatsoever.
Well I would go back to the oil I was using before and see if that makes a difference.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM

i have rav4 2007 and found the same oil burning issue a year and half ago. I still have the warranty but dealer won't take any action till they see I drive 1200 miles and 1 qt oil low. they did at least 4 times oil consumption tests but unforunately none of them is above 1 Qt. The worst case they measure is 0.75 qt to 1qt. Now i have to monitor oil level and add oil myself before every 5000 miles oli change. sucks.
Oh, I even went into arbitary process but I lost the case. simply they don't see 1Qt low spec after driving 1200 miles. They consider it's acceptable to burn that much oil.

Last edited by jckist2; 05-02-2012 at 02:00 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM

My 07 RAV has been burning oil as well. Quite a bit now going on at least a year, may be longer. Got about 102K miles on it now. After reading the numerous posts on this site I'm convinced it's just something I'm going to have to live with. I did go back and look at the manual that came with the car and was surprised to find that it lists quite a bit of oil consumption per 1000 miles or so that is consider acceptable. Now that my warranty is up I think I'm going to switch from the manufacturer recommeded 5w20, though and see if that helps. It's hard getting in the habit of checking your oil every 1000 miles or less. My old '97 Honda civic never burned a drop 'til the end.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM

(Thread Starter)
2006 RAV4 burning oil - Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyS View Post
HI Fred, I put the engine that was on my description window sticker when you are shopping for your vehicle at a dealer. I did that on purpose because it ought to be right! Thank you for your post, and I will check out what you sent as well. ----WAIT---- Actually, I trans-versed that info. The sticker reads 2006 2.4 Liter DISP 4CYL 16V DOHC, VVT-i Engine, - this is right off the dealers' window sticker. I keep stuff like this until the vehicle is no longer mine......I also see that my Toyota Dealer has an incorrect ID # on my bill....gotta straighten that out too because I'm pursuing Toyota Corp. to "make it right". Toyota standard oil ratio is 1 Qt per 1200 miles. I'm just managing 735 miles before it drops from the top of the dipstick to below the bottom dot....how's that huh? S
I've learned more since last quote: 1000 mi. per Qt of oil is industry standard, so I retract my 1st statement. I am confused about the oil type I should be using. a CA Toyota tech responded that I use 5w30, so I switched from the std oil used for all oil changes. One thing I have seen is a big jump in gas consumption.
I am so disappointed to see more people have responded with like situations, and the likelihood of repair assistance from Toyota corp. is diminished. I am a realist about expectation., but there's nothing else for the consumer to grab onto; lost the ability to sell this vehicle outright; and as a trade-in were that feasible for me (jobless), with an engine like this. What advocate organization would support the consumer on these issues? Maybe a more upfront inquiry in the news?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page