Engine 'rattling' during light acceleration - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine 'rattling' during light acceleration

I used the search and couldn't find anything on this so I'll start a new thread.

I have a 2006 Limited with the 2.4L engine. It has 80K on it. Oil changes every 5K per the manual and maintenance light. 5w20 oil per the manual. 87 octane gas from Marathon. I've had UOAs done and everything appears to be OK inside the engine.

My problem is that I sometimes hear a light 'rattling' sound from the engine area when accelerating lightly to moderately from a steady cruise rpm. It does it at any speed and in any gear.

Example: Cruisng on a flat road at about 45 mph this weekend, I lightly depressed the accelerator pedal to speed up. For a couple seconds I could hear a 'rattle' sound in front of me. The engine responded fine and accelerated as intended, and in a couple of seconds the 'rattling' stopped.

If I put the trans in neutral or park and rev the engine slightly I cannot reproduce the sound. It only happens when moving. The 'rattling' sometimes happens when accelerating from a standing start with light throttle application as well. Under hard acceleration I don't notice any 'rattling', only when under light to moderate loads.

Any time the vehicle has been back to the dealer for any service I've asked them to look into it. They've never been able to reproduce the problem. I hear it a lot now that it's summer and I drive with the windows and sunroof open.

Now that I'm nearing the end of my extended service warranty, I really want to solve this problem. It's been making this noise for tens of thousands of miles. I've reluctantly drove the vehicle all the while being fearful something bad may happen. I also recently paid it off so I'm hoping to get a few more years of payment-free driving out of it.

What will it take to fix this?

Thanks!

RAV4Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

When your gas level is low, fill up with high-octane gasoline. If the sound improves, that will be informative. The vehicle should not knock with regular. Maybe some failure such as the knock sensor failing makes the computer not retard the spark to prevent knocking. So this should be repaired.

Actually, based on your description, this is probably not the situation. Knocking usually occurs under heavy load, such as climbing a hill. Normally going to a lower gear reduces fuel knocking.

This may be something, such as a heat shield, rattling.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
reminds me of the small rattle I would hear in my Mazda 6 at 900-1200 rpm in 2nd gear.
it was a rattle a solenoid valve rubber support. Slightly annoying and nothing more.

Have you checked all TSBs for your car?
Try plugging some foam behind pipes and secure loose wires, etc... to see if it helps.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM

(Thread Starter)
I've checked all of the heat shields and none are loose. I'll give the higher octane fuel a try.

I have not checked the TSBs. How do I do that?

Thanks!

RAV4Tom
#5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV4Tom View Post
I've checked all of the heat shields and none are loose. I'll give the higher octane fuel a try.

I have not checked the TSBs. How do I do that?
I understand you checked the heat shields but make certain all the screws are in tact holding the shields together. Even though the shields look tight tap them lightly with a hammer and listen for vibration.

Also check your exhaust hangers, connections and muffler for cracks or rust.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that running a tank of 91 or 93 would determine if it was pinging under a light load, or an exhaust shield rattle. That would give you the route you need to take.
Back in ancient times, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I would tell you to replace the vacuum advance unit on the distributor. But then you'd know just how old I am.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Is there an easier way to do this? If i call the dealer and give them the VIN will they be able to tell me?

My RAV went in for a major service last fall and they said they checked and there weren't any TSBs my vehicle needed. Is this one of those instances where they (the dealer) says there aren't any because they don't want to fix everything?

Thanks!

RAV4Tom
#9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV4Tom View Post
Is there an easier way to do this? If i call the dealer and give them the VIN will they be able to tell me?

My RAV went in for a major service last fall and they said they checked and there weren't any TSBs my vehicle needed. Is this one of those instances where they (the dealer) says there aren't any because they don't want to fix everything?
A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is not a recall. Most TSBs are tips as to troubleshooting causes and repairs for various potential symptoms.

That said, there used to be a lot more TSBs in the 4.3 section. The link in "The additional TSBs are here" post appears to be broken. Try http://www.rav4world.com/forums/104-...bulletins.html

2009 V6 4wd Base
#10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,142 Times in 825 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is not a recall. Most TSBs are tips as to troubleshooting causes and repairs for various potential symptoms.

That said, there used to be a lot more TSBs in the 4.3 section. The link in "The additional TSBs are here" post appears to be broken. Try http://www.rav4world.com/forums/104-...bulletins.html
There are 3 pages of TSB's in the 4.3 section: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/

I fixed that link you mentioned, but most of those are old and very few pertain to the 4.3 models.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page