Is Toyota Red the same as the pre-diluted Pink - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is Toyota Red the same as the pre-diluted Pink

I am going to be doing my coolant service this weekend and found how most are doing it. I will be doing the flush with distilled water until clear (fill, run, drain). Then when its clear one final drain with a full radiator of pure undiluted coolant. I did this with my Maxima and it always worked out well. While the Toyota Rav is only 1.1 gallons removed per 2.5 capacity, 44% isn't totally bad versus the 49% that the Maxima was.

Anywho, I was told by the dealer that the concentrated (non-diluted) is red only. No Pink. Pink is the coloring of the pre-diluted stuff. Is he blowing smoke at me or is that accurate. I use the red in my MR2 and my previous Maxima but want to be 100% that this is compatible with the Rav4's cooling system. Not that I dont trust the dealer...

I hope to resolve this before the weekend. Lots of maint going on with manual coolant flush and a transmission flush if I can locate the proper amount of WS fluid.

2007 Rav 4 2AZ-FE (Auto )
1991 MR2 3S-GTE (Gen III, 5 Spd )
2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited (Auto )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Anywho, I was told by the dealer that the concentrated (non-diluted) is red only. No Pink. Pink is the coloring of the pre-diluted stuff.
See Toyota SLLC coolant at Amazon with free shipping! but I now have doubts.

Looking at the pictures, I see that the picture of the concentrate in the second link there does not say Super Long Life, but the premixed in the first link does. I think more study may be in order. When I search on "00272-1LLAC-01", I suspect it is not the same as the Pink after dilution, but I am not sure.

My Owner's Manual says use "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant" or "Similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based
non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and
non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid
organic acid technology. "

2009 V6 4wd Base
#3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
See Toyota SLLC coolant at Amazon with free shipping! but I now have doubts.

Looking at the pictures, I see that the picture of the concentrate in the second link there does not say Super Long Life, but the premixed in the first link does. I think more study may be in order. When I search on "00272-1LLAC-01", I suspect it is not the same as the Pink after dilution, but I am not sure.

My Owner's Manual says use "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant" or "Similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based
non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and
non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid
organic acid technology. "
Yeah, I have suspicions myself. SLL seems to be pink and NOT available in concentrate (which I need). I have a gallon (30.27 with tax currently) from the dealer which is the LLC (red) and concentrate.

I use the Red in everything I have owned for the last 13 years. But I want to make sure with the finicky WP we seem to have that the red wont cause issues. From what I think I have red, the Pink is longer lasting but I have not seen anything describing or testing the chemical/additive content.

I dont know if the long-life hybrid organic acid technology applies to the red.....

#4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

See post 1748784 on Toyota red long life & pink super long life same? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

It says

"Toyota Red Long Life ingredients from jug: Ethylene Glycol(107-21-1),Diethylene Glycol(111-46-6) Water(7732-18-5) Orangic Acid Salt(532-32-1) Hydrated Inorganic Salt(1310-58-3)."

"Here are the ingredients from the back of a gallon jug of the Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/coolant ( Pink ).
Water (7732-18-5), Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Sebacic Acid (111-20-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3)."

2009 V6 4wd Base
#5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to redrogodbz
As far as I know toyota long life coolant is red and has to be diluted 50-50. I ve been told that long life coolant works better that the super long life coolant but should be replaced every year and is more expensive too
Toyota super long life coolant is pink and comes from factory it is pre diluted and lasts up to 100k miles

correct if I am wrong

BTW I did my coolant flush last October at 100k kilometers and used Toyota long life coolant (red and has to be diluted with distilled water. I did changed the both hoses and the thermostat.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,139 Times in 823 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When I called my dealership parts department I asked the guy if they stocked the Super Long Life Coolant for my RAV4, and he said yes. He said the 50-50 pre-diluted coolant is $21.69 ($23.64 w/tax) and the full strength coolant is $32.72 ($34.57 w/tax), and he had both in stock. I didn't get any part numbers.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
See post 1748784 on Toyota red long life & pink super long life same? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

It says

"Toyota Red Long Life ingredients from jug: Ethylene Glycol(107-21-1),Diethylene Glycol(111-46-6) Water(7732-18-5) Orangic Acid Salt(532-32-1) Hydrated Inorganic Salt(1310-58-3)."

"Here are the ingredients from the back of a gallon jug of the Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/coolant ( Pink ).
Water (7732-18-5), Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Sebacic Acid (111-20-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3)."
OK...now we are getting somewhere. Unfortunately its meaning that the Red isn't quite the same and a decision needs to be made about whether or not the organic acid salt and hydrated inorganic salt compared to Sebacic Acid and Potassium Hydroxide.

I have contacted my good source at Toyota and he said don't deviate as well as there is no concentrate available for the pink. However on the back of the Red bottle, it says it is:
* Tested and approved by Toyota
* Meets or exceeds all Toyota warranty requirements

And for those that say all coolants are the same, just because I wanted to see what the box stores said. AZ has NO equivalent for the Rav4 for coolant replacement listed on the computer. And I checked the chemicals for Peak and Prestone. Prestone, which printed ANY in yellow and bold about fifteen times on the back of the bottle stating its an equivilant replacement for any Extended life coolant didn't have a chemical listing. Peak has ethyene Glycol (107-21-1) Water (7732-18-5) and Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN QT-1).

#8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
When I called my dealership parts department I asked the guy if they stocked the Super Long Life Coolant for my RAV4, and he said yes. He said the 50-50 pre-diluted coolant is $21.69 ($23.64 w/tax) and the full strength coolant is $32.72 ($34.57 w/tax), and he had both in stock. I didn't get any part numbers.
Would you be willing to get a part number or PM your dealers number? If I can get concentrated Pink, I will. But I don't think that beast exists (which is ridiculous) as I really trust my Toyota guy out on the West Coast. He is my source for impossible to get JDM engine parts for my MR2 (which has a JDM motor exchanged for the original USDM).

#9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to redrogodbz
Down here I have a close friend at the dealers parts department and he will definitely give the part number for the pink pre diluted super long life coolant which BTW is the only one available down here but that would be by tomorrow.

When I did my coolant flush last year I wanted the red and had to buy it in the states
#10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

I purchased a couple of gallons of Toyota red concentrated long life coolant at NAPA (yes, they stock it at $20+) and plan to convert RAV4 from pink to red when I find some time this summer.

Why?

The failing Toyota water pump epidemic started at the same time Toyota converted it's cars from long life red to super long life pink. Food for thought.

BTW, no concentrated pink is available, don't ask me why. More profit on selling water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page