V6 Water Pump Install - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
V6 Water Pump Install

I "inherited" a 2007 Rav4 when I got married a few months ago. Water pump started to go last week. Wasn't leaking, bearing was starting to go and making awful sound. Car has 134,000 miles on it. Wife told me that the original water pump had crapped out a few years ago at 70,000. After searching around on this site about water pumps on the Rav4, I learned a couple of things. Apparently the water pumps on this year of Rav4 are crap and the water pumps are a bitch to replace. After reading numerous posts about how spendy it was to replace the water pump or how the engine "supposedly" has to come out, I decided to replace the pump myself.

I ended up getting a water pump from NAPA for $66. The pump came with a new gasket as well. Also picked up a Haynes manual for $20. The manual gave excellent step by step instructions on how to remove and replace the pump. Pretty much you have to remove the serpetine belt, pulley from tensionor, idler pulley, overflow tank, motor mount on that side (i supported the engine from below with a floor jack). The manual says to take off the crankshaft pulley, but I didn't. I made getting to a few bolts a pain, but not difficult to remove. I pulled the water pump out from the top. The A/C lines on that side of the engine make getting the motor mount and water pump and little difficult. I think had I taken the crankshaft pulley off, the pump may have dropped out the bottom. In any case, I was able to jack up the motor a little bit to make more to remove the pump.

All in all. This took me about 8 hours, but that includes running to NAPA a couples of times and a buddy dropping by to BS. I probably could do this in 4-5 if I have to do it again. If anybody has any questions about this, I'll be happy to answer them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jr46895 For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (09-15-2012), frozen (06-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 AM

(Thread Starter)
In case I didn't mention before, this was for a V6 Rav4.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,195 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! I changed a water pump on my old Honda Civic years ago, but that was a piece of cake compared to a V6 RAV. And yes, the Toyota service manual says, step 1--remove engine! Congrats!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for this writeup jr46895! I've added it to my RAV4 folder.
Our '06 has 102,000 miles so I'm sure I'll get to do this job sometime.
What's extra helpful is how you got around some of the steps.

I'd seen so much discussion I was about to buy a pump on eBay to have on hand. But they are $92 on sale. Good to know $60 at NAPA. A reminder to ALWAYS shop around.

I wonder if Toyota actually pulls the engine or just uses that step to crank up the flat rate.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Thanks for this writeup jr46895! I've added it to my RAV4 folder.
I wonder if Toyota actually pulls the engine or just uses that step to crank up the flat rate.
Do Toyota service people pull the engine if the water pump replacement is covered by warranty?

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
Do Toyota service people pull the engine if the water pump replacement is covered by warranty?
My 2008 RAV was brought back to the dealers (while still under warranty) for the the oil hose recall. I was told to come back in two hours and the work would be done.

When I returned two hours later, they told me they had replaced the water pump as well, since it showed signs of leakage. So the pump can certainly be replaced in less than two hours.

Now if the RAV was out of warranty, I assume that would require the engine removal.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickl For This Useful Post:
Paul3637 (09-18-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Some Dealers will remove the engine on the V6 models but most don't do to the fact that it cost more and takes longer. I have talked to a couple of the Toyota mechanics at the dealer I go to and they say it takes them 4 hours to change the pump.

I am on my third pump now and I can do it in the same time.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkush7 View Post
I am on my third pump now and I can do it in the same time.
3rd one?????
Are those OEM or aftermarket?
#9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr46895 View Post
I "inherited" a 2007 Rav4 when I got married a few months ago. Water pump started to go last week. Wasn't leaking, bearing was starting to go and making awful sound. Car has 134,000 miles on it. Wife told me that the original water pump had crapped out a few years ago at 70,000. After searching around on this site about water pumps on the Rav4, I learned a couple of things. Apparently the water pumps on this year of Rav4 are crap and the water pumps are a bitch to replace. After reading numerous posts about how spendy it was to replace the water pump or how the engine "supposedly" has to come out, I decided to replace the pump myself.

I ended up getting a water pump from NAPA for $66. The pump came with a new gasket as well. Also picked up a Haynes manual for $20. The manual gave excellent step by step instructions on how to remove and replace the pump. Pretty much you have to remove the serpetine belt, pulley from tensionor, idler pulley, overflow tank, motor mount on that side (i supported the engine from below with a floor jack). The manual says to take off the crankshaft pulley, but I didn't. I made getting to a few bolts a pain, but not difficult to remove. I pulled the water pump out from the top. The A/C lines on that side of the engine make getting the motor mount and water pump and little difficult. I think had I taken the crankshaft pulley off, the pump may have dropped out the bottom. In any case, I was able to jack up the motor a little bit to make more to remove the pump.

All in all. This took me about 8 hours, but that includes running to NAPA a couples of times and a buddy dropping by to BS. I probably could do this in 4-5 if I have to do it again. If anybody has any questions about this, I'll be happy to answer them.
-So what is the napa part number for the pump assembly? Is it an exact replica of the original Toyota, or did you have to alter it somewhat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page