was just told at the dealer you have to heat transmision fluid when changing - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think they're unnessarily complicating a simple task. Drain out X pints of fluid and replace it with the same X amount of fluid. Yes, transmission fluid as well as engine oil should be warm when draining, but unless the new stuff has been stored in your freezer, I highly doubt the volume is going to change all that much.
By the way, I personally don't believe in flushing. Regular drain-and-refills are the way to go, IMHO of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,143 Times in 826 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I have never done that, but if I change my fluid, I think I will flush. I found these two videos to be interesting. There are some differences in technique. But both show the transition from dirty to clean fluid as the torque converter gets flushed. http://www.youtube.com/v/MsdPAadc9fY http://www.youtube.com/v/4XQdKfTUbc4

This one is Pat Goss recommending professional flush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrWzwic2Sg
Flushing the transmission is a bad idea. Many manufacturers including GM and Honda now specifically recommend against it. I lost all faith in Pat Goss when I saw him hawking that "wallet flush" machine in the video. Unless you're dropping the pan and replacing the filter, you're wasting your time. I trust the shop that wrote this article:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Should I Have My Transmission Flushed

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
pico (11-30-2012)
#23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
JuneBug you just reminded me of something. When at the dealer for an oil change recently I asked what their charge is for a simple drain & fill vs pan drop & change filter. Guess what? They don't do either one!! Machine exchange of fluid only, no pan drop, no filter change. Not even available! Guess I'll need to go elsewhere when the time comes. Oh, they want $229 + for it too.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Flushing the transmission is a bad idea. Many manufacturers including GM and Honda now specifically recommend against it.
There appear to be at least two meanings for transmission flushing. Running cleaning chemicals is one. However the other one, as described in those first two youtube videos I linked to, do not use extra chemicals. They just open a line to/from the cooler, and start the engine. I find that method to look pretty impressive as the stream of fluid changes from dirty to clean.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There are machines that exchange the fluid, retrieving the old and putting in the proper amount of new but that does nothing as far as the filter.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,143 Times in 826 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
There appear to be at least two meanings for transmission flushing. Running cleaning chemicals is one. However the other one, as described in those first two youtube videos I linked to, do not use extra chemicals. They just open a line to/from the cooler, and start the engine. I find that method to look pretty impressive as the stream of fluid changes from dirty to clean.
The transmission flush does not replace the filter and may stir up debris that further restricts it. Transmission fluid causes very few problems, unless improper fluid is used. Many of these flush machines use a "universal" fluid instead of the proper type.

Proponents of transmission flushing often claim 100% of the fluid is replaced--this is untrue for several reasons. When the engine is running and the transmission is in park, only a part of the fluid is circulated. A good deal of fluid simply flows from the pump back to the pan, through the pressure relief valve. Several components in the pressure circuit do not receive flow at all.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
The transmission flush does not replace the filter and may stir up debris that further restricts it. Transmission fluid causes very few problems, unless improper fluid is used. Many of these flush machines use a "universal" fluid instead of the proper type.
1. The flushing described in the http://www.youtube.com/v/4XQdKfTUbc4 link does not involve a machine, and does not use any chemicals other than new fluid. The http://www.youtube.com/v/MsdPAadc9fY one is similar, but he does discuss the possibility, but not the necessity, of using a cheaper fluid for a week and then repeat the flush with the expensive fluid. I can see that not all fluid would be replaced this way, but I think there would be more replaced than with a drain and fill -- even if the pan were dropped and cleaned, and the filter were replaced. Of course you could do the pan drop thing, and follow that up with the opening of the cooler line.

2. I don't remember anybody posting that their Rav4.3 transmission filter was clogged. It seems like a pretty large filter considering that it does not get hit with combustion products.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM

Garage
After reading thru these posts i am very suprised to read that someone was told to heat up the new transmission fluid ! in my opinion that is total BS and whoever said that did not know what he was talking about !

After over 40 years working on all types of vehicles thats the first time i have ever heard that said and i was Rolls Royce trained so was trained properly !

I am impressed with the various methods of flushing what i have watched in the U tube vids but as we are aware Toyota Type T4 ATF is what is the only one you should use in some of the rav 4 s and we all know that its a dealer only fluid so its bloody expensive ! so to possibly waste some on the flush well thats your own choice on that but as Toyota do not give any mileage or time to change transmission fluid it comes down to the owner to know when to change the ATF

My way of doing this is when the colour starts to get to dark on the dipstick its time to change.

Preventive maintance is always the best policy and common sense is the right way to go with this .

I would never reccomend using any other type of flush in the Rav auto box because it was made specialy for that type of box to preserve the quality of the seals that are installed .

I do disagree with " pump outs " i have tried this method and after using it a few times in my own opinion does not get all the bottom old contaminated oil out properly , but that was mainly brought in for dealers to save time on doing it right !

I do accept that boxes without a drain plug is always a pain but i would then use the " flush system to change the ATF as the best procedure to use , but that is my own opinion only at least you are sure to get all the crud out that way .
#29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM

smoke and mirrors, dropping the pan is the best, then if you want to spend money, flush the lines using the trans cooler lines. but why? if the trans is done the cooler is holding pieces and that needs to be flushed when replacing transmission. yes wallet flushing is the right term and some of the shop management classes are teaching it for profit. ok why listen to me. because I have 40 years in the business, 30 years owning my own shop, I had a local radio show that I shared with the local Trans shop. do it right drop the pan / change the filter. the service books are all over the place on when. one read something like [not recomended or under heavy load ,dirty conditions, or towing every 12000 miles] say what? my recomedation and the local trans shop is 50000 miles, easy to remember and is preventive but not over done.
#30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotechazo View Post
smoke and mirrors, dropping the pan is the best, then if you want to spend money, flush the lines using the trans cooler lines. but why? if the trans is done the cooler is holding pieces and that needs to be flushed when replacing transmission. yes wallet flushing is the right term and some of the shop management classes are teaching it for profit. ok why listen to me. because I have 40 years in the business, 30 years owning my own shop, I had a local radio show that I shared with the local Trans shop. do it right drop the pan / change the filter. the service books are all over the place on when. one read something like [not recomended or under heavy load ,dirty conditions, or towing every 12000 miles] say what? my recomedation and the local trans shop is 50000 miles, easy to remember and is preventive but not over done.
I like every 36K, but that's just me. Otherwise you're spot on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page