Crunched muffler 2010 RAV4 - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CAUTION CARBON MONOXIDE (exhaust FUMES are colorless & oderless, you may think it doesn't LEAK. Recomend you have it checked at an authorized muffler shop test for carbon monoxide fumes which can find its way inside your RAV !!

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
U r able to tell/diagnose that exhaust flow could not possibly be restricted just by closing your eyes and imagining the damage?????? Your good.
It happened in the spring. If the exhaust was leaking or not working properly, don't you think he would have known by now?
#13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlaird View Post
CAUTION CARBON MONOXIDE (exhaust FUMES are colorless & oderless, you may think it doesn't LEAK. Recomend you have it checked at an authorized muffler shop test for carbon monoxide fumes which can find its way inside your RAV !!

Good Luck

Lighten up francis. It happened a half a year ago. If it is leaking way back at the back of the car where the muffler is would it be any more dangerous then when it just exits normally out the exhaust tip 10" away?
#14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlaird View Post

Good Luck
Take your battery-powered home-monoxide detector into the RAV4 and see what happens. If you don't have one in the house, then you have nothing to scream about. Get one. Or two.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico View Post
Take your battery-powered home-monoxide detector into the RAV4 and see what happens. If you don't have one in the house, then you have nothing to scream about. Get one. Or two.
You don't have to do that. Just start you car and crawl under it. Run your hand around the muffler seams and where it is damaged and see if you can feel any exhaust leaking. Dont touch the muffler cause it may be hot. If it isn't leaking, drive it. Of course the dealer is trying to sell you a new exhaust because they are in the business to make money. If it is leaking or if the looks bothers you that bad just go to a reputable exhaust shop and have them replace the muffler. A qualified exhaust shop can replace that muffler in a half hour. Caution caution caution! Do not put your lips around the exhaust tip because you may ingest carbon monoxide and DIE!
#16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassrav4 View Post
Last spring my wife hit a pot hole and a piece of asphalt flipped up under the SUV and crunched the front of the muffle. The muffler doesn't seem to leak and the SUV still runs quiet, so I've let it go. Yesterday she had the SUV in for an oil change at the dealer, they said $1,600 to replace the muffler/exhaust system. I told her sounds like BS. I wonder if our local muffler shop can cut it off and bend and weld in a new system. Anyone done that? THanks for any help. Or, maybe I just let it go - the crunched muffler seems to be doing fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrczx3 View Post
It happened in the spring. If the exhaust was leaking or not working properly, don't you think he would have known by now?
If there's no question/wonder in the back of the OP's mind, then why the post. The OP could call a muff shop and they would probably ask him to bring it in for a visual inspection......that's all I was suggesting....a pic to see the damage. Didn't mean to bunch any panties.

'09 RAV4 V6 Ltd - Yep, it's gotta HEMI
#17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the posts, good to hear other opinions. I think I'll leave it until it rots out and starts getting noisey, then take to to a muffler shop and have it cut off. $1,600 for a muffler and cat is baloney! I like the idea of putting a CO detector in the cabin just to make sure. Wife has been driving the car in stop & go traffic for several months with no one getting sick or dieing from CO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page