Oil Consumption...Now what - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
UPDATE:
I dropped the car. Definitely burning oil...out the exhaust he said. It appears Toyota approved the repair...says I WON'T need a new engine block...it is the tsb piston thing. I hope the car comes back good/better and I won't have to worry about it! I am not really sure what the repair entails, it looks messy based on the tsb.

-Laplume
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreLaplume View Post
UPDATE:
I dropped the car. Definitely burning oil...out the exhaust he said. It appears Toyota approved the repair...says I WON'T need a new engine block...it is the tsb piston thing. I hope the car comes back good/better and I won't have to worry about it! I am not really sure what the repair entails, it looks messy based on the tsb.
keep us posted on the outcome. i hope this takes care of it.
#23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
yea, me too. I just do not understand the mechanics of an engine enough to know if this kind of repair could create *new* problems, its negilgible or if I'll have something better than the average RAV with 90K....

-Laplume
#24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreLaplume View Post
It appears Toyota approved the repair...says I WON'T need a new engine block...it is the tsb piston thing. I hope the car comes back good/better and I won't have to worry about it!
I expect your repaired engine will be perfect, just like new. By not needing a new engine block he means the cylinder walls will be good. That's been my experience on several Japanese engines I've had apart. No measurable wear on the cylinders.

Years ago that was never the case. They always had a ridge meaning wear that required reboring, honing and oversized pistons.
Recently my '99 F-250 had a broken piston. I simply replaced it and did nothing to the cylinder since it showed no wear - in 200,000 miles!

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
****UPDATE****
Got the Rav back a fews back. While it seems to run as it did before, when cold, the engine is noisy...sounds like a clang on the passenger side. The wife descibes it as her Rav sounding like a Mack truck until its run for a few minutes....then normal. She also say she feels the car in not getting into gear and makes a grrrrrr noise sometimes as she back out and drives....until its warmed up....afew minutes usually. I experienced the 'Mack truck' noise, I did not notice any tranny noise or shift issue.

Back to the dealer today...

They think the 'Mack Truck' noise is the tensioner. That will be replaced under the platinum warranty that expires in a few months or 5K miles.

They claim they hear a 'banging' in the the tranny and that the tranny fluid is 'burnt' and something in there is wearing. Odd since we just had them service the tranny a 75K miles...its got 95K today....wonder if that suck out machine they used created an issue?

Bottom line...The platinum warranty is covering the installation of a new tranny. Actually its a remanufactured one from Toyota and it will only be warrantied so long as the Platinum contract is in effect...ie a few months or 5K miles. Should't there be a year warranty on it?

We are both extremely disspaointed in the tranny issue....especially after the oil consumption issue. I sort of wonder if there really is a tranny issue. I never experienced the shifting problem myself. I never noticed any banging either....nor did my wife. In fact is seemed flawless to us until we got it back from the enigine repair. But what can we do? They want to replace it and its covered.

Could the original engine piston thing have affected the tensioner and the tranny?

Should I expect any issues with a remanufactired tranny? Should we be worried about keeping the car after all this?

Thoughts...

-Laplume
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page