Oil Consumption...Now what - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Consumption...Now what

to make a long story short, maybe 9 months ago(?) my oil level was down close to 2 quarts according to Toyota. I quickly told them that thought I don't always use their dealership, I get the oild changed about every 3 months…which is less than 4K for us. I started researching thereafter and asked for an oil consumption test based on what I read here and the tsb. After 1200 miles or so, they said everything was fine. Recently my oil guy noted the oil was down a quart. I again went to toyota. With 92K and about 6 months of my platinum plus warranty left, I wanted to see what was up. We did another oild consumption test. This time they said I burned 1.3 qts of oil in 1265 miles. That warrants excessive consumption by toyota standards they said. Today they called back and said toyota authorized an engine tear down…..with a stiplation that if the dealer does not find a leak, I pay $500 for the work. Once they find the leak, a toyota dude comes out to witness it and they fix the RAV. It made me uneasy that they would indeed find the leak but the service dude said they would find it. I just have to give the go ahead.

It seams I should do this. Is there anything I should be considering befrore proceeding. Could this be some sort of non covered sludge issue? I have receipts for oild changes since bought the I4 Rav back in 2006. Is it possible the tear down will create more trouble?

Thoughts….

-Laplume
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What do you mean find a leak? Would that not be visible in your garage or wherever you park it if it had an oil leak? Why would they tear an engine down for that? I don't understand this at all.......

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Unless you're seeing drippage on the ground I doubt you have a leak. The 2.4L motor has a little bit of a reputation for burning oil and this would not be considered a leak. If you pay the $$ after they fail to find a leak, will you end up with the same problem minus $500 from your check book?

I would ask them to specifically address oil consumption due to burning in the absence of a leak before allowing any tear down.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
"Today they called back and said toyota authorized an engine tear down…..with a stiplation that if the dealer does not find a leak, I pay $500 for the work. "

That's bull****. They have to fix it under warranty, even if they must take each and every bolt apart. The onus on them to fix the car;

Tell them that they can start wherever they want, to just call when it is fixed and you are not paying them a cent.
Also check if a rental or fleet car is supposed to put at your disposal during the repair. This might be at the dealer's discretion; I am not sure of the details of the Toyota Warranty.

Of course, if there is no oil on the pan or no oil on the ground, then there is no leak. The excessive Oil consumption on my 2008 I4 was fixed by the dealer under a TSB.
May be they mean an "internal" leak, if such a thing exists? I can only think of a blown gasket but I doubt it is that since you do not mention any other symptoms.

I am pissed.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway

Last edited by vanib; 12-05-2012 at 11:25 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To me the oil consumption w/o an external leak which would make a big mess says it's an internal issue. So it depends what they mean by a "leak." The leak is out the exhaust pipe.

Pressure tests for compression, leak-down etc can be performed before a teardown but after that I don't know what an internal leak looks like or what criteria or measurements one would use to prove or disprove it. Sounds fishy to me. Every part has new and wear-limit specs. So if all parts are within the wear limits (which they will be) does that mean there's no leak and you are paying? IMO, this "leak" issue is just a gimmick to already know that answer is yes.

As others have said it's B$ with emphasis on the $.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well, there is a tsb on excessive oil consumption and I believe this is what they are after....all I know is 1.3 qt over 1265 miles does not sound right. In fact the dude said that based on Toyota's own standard...it should burn at most 1.1 qts in that time frame. In other words if it were burning a little less, Toyota would say its fine...this is where you may have read they started sending folks cases of oil.

Anyway, the oil is going somewhere...the techs thought was something to do with a piston and oil going thru engine or something...that seems to be what the tsb says.
Bottom line..the oil is going somewhere andI'd think it should be coevred....?

Re:
I would ask them to specifically address oil consumption due to burning in the absence of a leak before allowing any tear down.

I think that was what the tech said he thought was happening and they could find evedence of this.

Lets say is a psiton or something...will the sucker go back together and be as good as new? He says yes....

-Laplume
#7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Seems like you are on the right track. Best of luck.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
My bet is that it is a defective piston and/or rings.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pico View Post
My bet is that it is a defective piston and/or rings.
Pressure testing could verify either of those before teardown.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I sincerely doubt the good as new line they're feeding you. It should certainly be better than it is now though. They are only going to replace the parts they HAVE to, no more.
I'd say you need to get a much better understanding of what they are telling you. What you have explained so far just doesn't make any sense.
Either it IS under warranty or it is NOT.
You don't tear down an engine trying to find out if it leaks oil, you look under it.
$500 for what???????
This just could not be any more senseless and confusing even if Congress had something to do with it.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page