Is 2WD THAT bad? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is 2WD THAT bad?

I live in northeastern Ohio. We see plenty of snow and rain. I know most of you would recommend the 4WD Rav4 for someone living in Ohio but what I am asking is if 2WD is really that bad of a thing to drive around here. I understand the differences and advantages to driving 4WD but is 2WD with traction control still a decently safe drive in the winter? Yes, 4WD would be more ideal but 2WD is not the end of the world, is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
2WD is not bad but you can expect a bit more spinning of front wheels in the rain and snow. Just get yourself a decent set of winter tires and you are good to go.

Also, with the V6, the 4wd takes care of the oversteering as it balances the RAV when you "take off" from a stop.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" - Operation Mindcrime
#3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM

What is your experience?

What did you drive before? In the last 5 years, how many times did you use 4WD/AWD to get out of a bad situation?
I live in the Southern US, and I say if the weather is bad enough for 4WD/AWD, I don't NEED to be driving. Doctors, nurses, and Power Company employees probably do. But in some situations, like ice, 4WD/AWD will not help, I have seen it.
Short answer: It depends.

"Don't tell me I'm in denial because I'm not!"

2008 Limited FWD V6
Pacific Blue
#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
I currently drive a Corolla and my lease is up. So I am accustomed to not having 4WD. In this car I have slipped on icy roads, but nothing major, no major accidents or anything. Of course I try to NOT drive in bad weather, but around her sometimes it's unavoidable
Before that I drove a Honda Pilot 2WD and honestly, I feel like it was so long ago that I can't remember! I know I didn't have major issues with the weather. I am just more paranoid now because I am hauling around a 4 year old. My thought process was that if I am going to upgrade to an SUV that I may as well have AWD too. But my tight budget prefers the 2WD to save about $40 per month. I am over analyzing, that's my nature! Just want my money's worth! So what I am trying to decide is when I am forced to drive in the snow/bad weather is 2WD a safe bet.

Thanks for the advice!
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM

If you get the 2WD, invest in a good set of snow tires and you should be fine in almost all circumstances. Then, on a snowy day, find an empty parking lot and practice practice practice. Learn how your car reacts in braking, accelerating and cornering so there are fewer surprises on the road. Modern traction control and LSD are pretty darn good! That said, I still bought 4wd for peace of mind. But, if budget concerns are a problem, you can do fine with 2wd.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't because the V6 4WD is too much fun and I don't lease cars, but sounds like you'd be best off with a 4-cyl 2WD.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone. Regardless, I'd be going with a 4cylinder, whether it's 2WD or 4WD. I guess I will look into the price of snow tires! Any advice on those? LOL, I am clueless on all this stuff!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4Newbie123 View Post
I currently drive a Corolla and my lease is up. So I am accustomed to not having 4WD. In this car I have slipped on icy roads, but nothing major, no major accidents or anything. Of course I try to NOT drive in bad weather, but around her sometimes it's unavoidable
Before that I drove a Honda Pilot 2WD and honestly, I feel like it was so long ago that I can't remember! I know I didn't have major issues with the weather. I am just more paranoid now because I am hauling around a 4 year old. My thought process was that if I am going to upgrade to an SUV that I may as well have AWD too. But my tight budget prefers the 2WD to save about $40 per month. I am over analyzing, that's my nature! Just want my money's worth! So what I am trying to decide is when I am forced to drive in the snow/bad weather is 2WD a safe bet.

Thanks for the advice!
If you are already accustomed to 2WD then go for it. But for peace of mind and if the weather is really bad, I'd vote for a 4WD. Up here during the winter, I wouldn't drive anything but a 4WD. I haven't been stuck with my wife's Rav and my Highlander which both are 4WD's.

2011 Pyrite Mica Rav4 Limited I4 4WD ( Wife's )

2009 Sandy Beach Metallic Highlander Sport V6 AWD ( Mine )
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
I lived in Gambier, Ohio and had a 4WD Jeep and 4WD Subaru wagon - and never needed it, and we did get heavy snow, but nothing like the lake effect you probably get.

2WD would have been just fine.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

I'm in the 2WD camp, unless you usually have to drive in heavy snow. I grew up on RWD cars and never got stuck(yup, I'm that old!)
Bought my wife a new 99 Forester. She worked in a school, so as it turned out if it snowed more than 2", schools would close anyway, so never really needed it. When I bought my RAV(used)I wanted a V6 2WD, but the dealer said 2WD RAVs were like hens teeth in the northeast, so got an AWD V6. I would say a 2WD 4cyl would be the way for you to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page