REMOTE START ON PUSH BUTTON IGNITION-engine cuts when door opens - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
REMOTE START ON PUSH BUTTON IGNITION-engine cuts when door opens

I have a 2012 RAV4 Limited with a keyless ignition. This works when I have the FOB on my person and I simply push the start switch to turn on the engine.
I recently had a remote start installed. Unfotunately now, after starting my engine via remote, the engine will cut off when I open the door.
I understand this is a security feature but it's annoying. I have never experienced this form of remote start; nor have any of my coworkers. No one has had a RAV4, however.
Until now.
How can a remote start system on a 2012 maintain - and not disable?
HOW CAN I DISABLE THIS FEATURE AND KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING AFTER I ENTER THE CAR? I would prefer to be able to also drive the car away and it not cut off with the brake pedal. If the exterior is locked but the car is running, and I have the FOB ON me at a distance, I don't see a security threat.

I've contacted the installer. I've contacted tech support at Directed Electronics (manufacturer of this particular system). It seems my only hope now might be an alternate system (made by a different manufacturer) or a particular bypass module. Can anyone recommend anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a remote start on my RAV, but know others who do. This makes no sense, the engine shuts off when opening the door? The one's I've seen shut off after maybe 15 minutes or so, but before that you should be able to get in and drive off.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

My remote start is one of the many Directed Electronics brands, and the engine continues to run if I enter, as long as I don't touch the brake before inserting and turning the key. I don't have a smart key.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If it is the Toyota system it is designed to shut off the engine when you open the door....sucks but that's the way it is. If it is aftermarket then there should be a way around it.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM

the wiring of this remote start system needs to be re-checked. Is the security system of your rav4 disabled when you push the start button on the fob? the person who installed this remote start system has to verify that.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM

(Thread Starter)
possible resolution!

Hey all. Yes - the Toyota brand remote start and this one by Directed Electronics are designed to shut the engine off when the door is opened. That's the way they were made. The tech with the installation company did some legwork and found a different remote start system that should serve my needs. It's by "Fortin". I will simply have to do a sequence of things inside the vehicle before I put it in gear so the engine will stay on and I can drive away.

It seems only vehicles with the push button start have this issue. I am taking my car in tonight for a re-installation (of the new Fortin equipment). I will let you know if it works!
#7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Was the system that killed the engine when you opened the door a Viper, Autostart, Clifford, AstroStart, Automate, Python, Avatal, or Xpresskit?

2009 V6 4wd Base
#8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like an attempt at antitheft should someone other than you walk up and hop in the car if it were unlocked. Seems like the auto shut off should be set up to be disabled if you have your smart key with you though. A would be theif would not have this.

Can it be changed using Techstream?

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Remote start issue resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Was the system that killed the engine when you opened the door a Viper, Autostart, Clifford, AstroStart, Automate, Python, Avatal, or Xpresskit?
Xpresskit killed it. I now have an Avatal and although I have another remote for my keychain, THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!!!!!!! My car works perfectly now - as does the remote start - and it still can not be driven away unless the key fob is near by AND I do a sequence of things (like a combination) to get it to go. I'm happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page