Rav 4.3 Strut replacement advice - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherer View Post
Although you can replace just one strut, I would recommend to replace both. Otherwise the front end will not be aligned.
Not sure how you figured that.

Fred
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dr. Dyno

KYB Americas Corporation Shocks & Struts | Service Technical Information | Installation Tips
How to Tell When Front Struts Need to Be Replaced | eHow.com

Usually if you are working on any part of suspension or steering all the components should be replaced in pair. Otherwise you will have premature ware of a new part, uneven handling and misalignment.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Misalignment would only occur if it wasn't aligned unless they are referring to something else. Agreed of course on uneven front damping.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep426 View Post
Misalignment would only occur if it wasn't aligned unless they are referring to something else. Agreed of course on uneven front damping.
That's why I put on a "replacement" quality not a KYB or a major brand. Figured the damping would be close to OEM and it is. Car rides perfect. Not to worry I have a matching new one for the other side on hand if needed.
#15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 PM
njl

I've got a 2006 V6 Limited with 102k miles on it. Very recently, the ride seems to have gotten rougher/bouncier. Tiny potholes feel much deeper, and I've noticed the rear end bouncing more than I think it should after a bump.

This all makes me think it's time for new shocks/struts. I've looked at the oil leak pattern document, and I jacked up both ends of the RAV and I can't see any leakage. While under it, I did see a warning sticker on the rear ones that they're gas filled. Is it possible for them to have gone bad (lost some gas) without any oil seepage?

My auto mechanical experience is pretty much limited to changing tires, oil/oil filter, engine/cabin air filters, and brake pads. I doubt I'm up to doing shocks/struts without help, so I'm probably going to contact one or more of the local dealership's service departments. What's reasonable $ for replacing all 4 shocks/struts (whichever the RAV has)?

BTW...I suspect it's not a big deal, but I did notice on the fronts that the accordion shroud that covers the top of the shocks is breaking up on both of them.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 AM
njl

I just talked to one of the local dealerships. If I need new shocks/strut assemblies all around, it's $1744 if no additional parts are needed. I've been doing the oil changes myself for the past several, but it's overdue for a coolant flush, which they'd want another $140 for...so if I have them do all of this, it needs nearly $2k of parts & labor.

kbb says the RAV is worth about $9500 (trade-in value)...and that's not considering the work it needs. It's been the most reliable car I've owned, but the mileage and work it needs has me wondering if it's time to consider replacing it.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Garage
Doing struts yourself will cost you $600, And coolat flash is not that hard of the precedure. If you do everything yourself you should be under $700. both of the things are standard maintenance. If you can't tackle it yourself go to local reputable garage. You will save a lot of money over the dealer.
#18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
njl

I took it to a local shop (not dealership) and was told it needs front struts. They didn't think the rear shocks needed replacing...but I'm wondering, at 102k miles, should I just go ahead and replace the shocks anyway, figuring if they're not bad yet, they will be very soon? I think when they get back to me with a price on the struts, I'm going to at least ask "how much more to do the shocks while you're at it?"
#19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM
njl

$445 for the front struts installed and an alignment.
Another $321 for rear shocks.

This is all with KYB parts. That's a little less than half of what the dealership wanted. I think I'm going to go ahead and have it all done by this independent shop.
#20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM

What Does Your Odometer Read?
Experts recommend the replacement of worn shocks and struts at 50,000 Miles / 80,000 Km*

To help motorists protect their driving safety, ride control engineers suggest that automotive shocks and struts be replaced at 50,000 Miles / 80,000 Km. In addition, it is always a good idea to ask your automotive service provider to perform a complete chassis system safety check - including ride control components - every 12,000 miles.

Ride control components wear out due to everyday driving and a variety of load and road conditions
Shocks and struts may not show any visible signs of wear, but internal components may be past their useful life
Typical shocks and struts "stroke" an average of 1,750 cycles per mile – that's 21 million cycles per 12,000 miles!
Shocks and struts are susceptible to additional wear caused by heavy use and severe road / environmental conditions
Ride control components interact with, and depend on, other key steering and suspension parts

50,000 Mile / 80,000 Km
Replacement Recommendation*
Help improve vehicle handling
characteristics and comfort

A fresh set of shocks can enhance more than just your ride. They help improve braking and handling under certain driving conditions and they make vehicles safer and easier to control. This helps make the road safer for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page