Think I have a problem. Consuming way too much gas - Page 5 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
I hate to say it but you guys are so damn biased. I'm not saying the car is a pos I'm saying something is wrong.
I can't see how you cannot think that your MPG for entry #7 wasn't 164 miles using 11.36 giving 14.4 MPG. That may well be reasonable for high traffic short trips.

Clearly something is wrong in the earlier periods. However most problems with the vehicle that would cause such miserable mileage would cause the MIL (malfunction indicator light) to light. If the average fuel consumption indicator is showing similar numbers, that would tend to point away from siphoning. I suggest you note the indication when you start driving, and then reset the indicator. See what the indicator shows after your driving. If it is showing 17 MPG in stoplight to stoplight driving that you do, but shows 8 MPG when somebody else controls the car, that would indicate where to look. If there is little difference in mileage when others control the vehicle, then a problem with the vehicle would seem likely.

Considering other possibilities seems reasonable. You are wise to be making use of Fuelly. You only had two fillups around 12/13/12 where your mileage went highly wacky. I don't know what your parking situation is. If you give the keys to an attendant, maybe he was sitting in the car idling for periods.

I still think you should do the things I suggested in post #16 on this thread.

2009 V6 4wd Base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
I just filled my '11 V6 with my driving being exclusively short trips in town for this tank. Gas mileage calculated arithmetically (dividing miles driven by the quantity needed to fill the tank) - 13.6. And I drive conservatively. Tires are at 40psi.

In general I got better mileage with my 1960 Ford Starliner 300HP tank (manual trans with overdrive) then I get with my RAV.
This ^^^ tread above caught my attention. Same car, same year, same driving conditions. I think it's just the type of NY traffic. Believe me there is a difference between, say PA traffic vs NYC traffic.

I will take it to the mechanic regardless

And for the matter I used to own a Ford E250 extended V6 and mileage was better, even when loaded with 3 bikes and 5 people about 2300lb
#43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

I get around 16 MPG combined in NYC traffic & surrounding expressways, turnpikes, etc. If it were strictly Manhattan/city street driving for a whole tank I'm sure it would be even less since so much time is wasted in traffic there.

What RPM does your tach show at normal cruising speed (making sure transmission is making it into high gears)?

If you put it in neutral while on a slight grade does the vehicle roll (making sure brakes/PB aren't stuck)?
The Following User Says Thank You to Carnivore For This Useful Post:
krisnet55 (01-03-2013)
#44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
I get around 16 MPG combined in NYC traffic & surrounding expressways, turnpikes, etc. If it were strictly Manhattan/city street driving for a whole tank I'm sure it would be even less since so much time is wasted in traffic there.

What RPM does your tach show at normal cruising speed (making sure transmission is making it into high gears)?

If you put it in neutral while on a slight grade does the vehicle roll (making sure brakes/PB aren't stuck)?
I guess I'm getting what I'm suppose to get. If ur getting 16 combined (probably more city) then 12.5 is accurate is no hwy driving is involved. I really don't see how on earth some people get 19 in city. Must be real soft traffic or very VERY soft pedal.
#45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess I'm getting what I'm suppose to get. If ur getting 16 combined (probably more city) then 12.5 is accurate is no hwy driving is involved. I really don't see how on earth some people get 19 in city. Must be real soft traffic or very VERY soft pedal.
The length of the average trip may play a factor. Somebody with a half-hour commute to work that does not hit the worst traffic would probably do better than somebody who has a lot of short trips that involve hunting for a parking space at times.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#46 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,124 Times in 814 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Kris, I'm looking at your Fuelly log again. Something seems to be wrong with the data. I'm looking at all 28 of the 2011 V6 RAV4's listed, and yours isn't the only one with low mileage. One named "Beluga" is averaging 16.9! Now another one called "2011 RAV4" says he's averaging 36.8 MPG!! No way!

But Kris, looking at your log book, yours seems to be the only one that shows last mpg - zero, best mpg - zero, avg price/gallon - zero, price/mile - zero.....etc. Seems like all the data isn't registering. Compare it to some of the other users logs.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#47 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM

I have a new 2012 Rav4 V6. Just have 3 fillups in the tank. Travelled 198 miles on 11.3 gallons = 17.5 miles; then traveled 182 miles on 12.2 gallons = 14.9 miles. I get MUCH better mileage in my 446 HP 331 stroker motor in my cobra than in the Rav4 to date. Virtuall all Miami city driving with AC. Expected a little better. My math was correct .. I simply had typed in the wrong number. So far averaging 15-18 miles. Haven't done any highway driving to check, but around town - in the cooler part of the year - it certainly isn't even approaching what my wife's CRV will do. And the V6 was reported to "be more efficient than the 4 cyl". Like the car - disappointed with the fuel economy.

Last edited by 289fia; 01-19-2013 at 06:59 PM.
#48 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289fia View Post
I have a new 2012 Rav4 V6. Just have 3 fillups in the tank. Travelled 356 miles on 11.3 gallons = 17.5 miles; then traveled 182 miles on 12.2 gallons = 14.9 miles. I get MUCH better mileage in my 446 HP 331 stroker motor in my cobra than in the Rav4 to date. Virtuall all Miami city driving with AC. Expected a little better.
356 miles on 11.3 gallons is 31.5 MPG.

If that were 256 miles on 11.3 gallons, that's 22.7 MPG.

11.3 gallons at 17.5 MPG is 198 miles.

I've only visited Miami, but city traffic there is terrible, and you're sitting there with the A/C on. 15 MPG might not be so bad depending on how much sitting you are really doing. For those kind of conditions, probably a hybrid or electric vehicle are the way to go.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#49 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 289fia View Post
I have a new 2012 Rav4 V6. Just have 3 fillups in the tank. Travelled 356 miles on 11.3 gallons = 17.5 miles; then traveled 182 miles on 12.2 gallons = 14.9 miles. I get MUCH better mileage in my 446 HP 331 stroker motor in my cobra than in the Rav4 to date. Virtuall all Miami city driving with AC. Expected a little better.
The only way I have got 15-16 mpg in NYC is driving like a crippled turtle. Any "normal" gas you give to it, it sucks like a sponge. I personally can't compare it to any other SUV since this is my first.
#50 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two View Post
356 miles on 11.3 gallons is 31.5 MPG.

If that were 256 miles on 11.3 gallons, that's 22.7 MPG.

11.3 gallons at 17.5 MPG is 198 miles.

I've only visited Miami, but city traffic there is terrible, and you're sitting there with the A/C on. 15 MPG might not be so bad depending on how much sitting you are really doing. For those kind of conditions, probably a hybrid or electric vehicle are the way to go.
He said he has done 3 fill ups and traveled 356 miles. City traffic in Miami? I lived in Miami 7 years and have been 10 years in NYC. Miami has normal traffic nowhere near terrible. I guess it depends on what you compare it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page