Think I have a problem. Consuming way too much gas - Page 9 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#81 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Keep in mind that I also love the V-6. Driving like grandpa is not the norm for me either so I force myself to do so.....but not ALL the time. I rather like holding the gears manually and shifting at 6200 RPM without hitting the rev limiter.

I'm not one that's easily frightened but the scariest ride in my life was in a cab from The Hilton near Times square to JFK in heavy traffic......a white knuckle ride I'll never forget. He got us there on time, and alive, in spite of all odds. Although still shaking from the ride I tipped him $20 for making the impossible happen. As soon as we were airborne I ordered several stiff drinks.
For me it's super hard driving like grandpa, especially being a track addict motorcycle guy. Thank god I get my fix and keeping it easy on the car is doable.

Yep NYC taxis you either love them or hate them. I hate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#82 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
That's really impressive. You are actually getting more then what Toyota advertises. Not to mention that's what I would get on VW Jetta. I have yet to meet someone that gets more mpg then what the manufacturer says.
Yeah, and that's filling up using Costco gas!

We do not drive slow. I'm one of the faster drivers on any road, if not the fastest, and both my wife and I accelerate fast enough to pull away from others. What we both do is corner fast, so that we conserve momentum. For instance, on that road trip over the Oregon coast range, if a corner were posted at 35 MPH, we'd take it around 45 MPH, maybe a hair more. It helps keep the transmission in a higher gear, and there's way less accelerating to get back to speed (which is probably 50 MPH on that stretch, so basically we maintained speed around the corners).

A good alignment helps tons. I did an alignment on my new-to-me Miata and got more than 2 MPG more. Removing the roof rails is supposedly good for about 0.5 MPG at freeway speeds, and increasing tire pressure helps too. It all adds up.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#83 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM

While I do drive my V6 RAV conservatively, I do enjoy the power also. It does run good and pull hard at higher RPMs. I get my horsepower kick from my summer car, a low 12 second '65 cutlass convertible, so I can drive the RAV more conservatively and not feel like I am missing anything.
#84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
From the time of purchase I have had bad MPG. At first I thought the car needed to be broken in, but at this point its been 10K miles and its the same. Im averaging 11-12 mpg!!! This is mostly city driving but just last week I drove from NY to PA for about a 2 hour drive and only ended up getting 13 mpg.
By no means am I an aggressive driver, mayyyyyybe sometimes here and there but for the most part my wife drives the car and I assure you she isnt no speed racer. I mean in order to average out 12 mpg you got to be constantly speeding and taking off aggressively all of both that I dont do. I have tried everything as far as driving, slow, fast, braking early, etc, etc.
I dont see any gas puddles or smell of any gas. I know its cold now but im thinking I should at least be averaging 16 mpg at worst.

Has anyone heard anyone else with such a problem? What can it be?

Its ridiculous, my E250 V6 got better mileage....
It is the same with my 2009 rav4 sport 4x4, the car went from making 19 and 20, to 14 and 15 miles, a eight months later i am getting 10,11, 12 miles per gallon, took it to Fordham toyota in manhattan, to get it check, pay $360 dollar just to go out with low revolutions in the engine, plus the miles problem, I hear about the BG products, so i took it to get it check, they did the injector cleaning and at it improve a little bit, I am planing on getting the EGR valve also service........
#85 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the gas mileage of my 2012 Sport I4. The absolute best I have ever squeezed out is 18 mpg. The car is 10 months old and I have nearly 5000 miles on it and that gas mileage is totally unacceptable to me. I'm glad I don't drive much or I'd be looking to get rid of that gas-guzzler!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost
1874-1963
#86 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM

If you watch the instantanous MPG read out, it gives a good idea on what the car is doing mpg wise. Cold car, grandpa accleration, and the car is making about 8 mpgs. If your drive is only 5 -10 miles and you are in stop light to stop ligtht type traffic, your mileage will suffer.

2012 4wd i4 3rd row
#87 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My RAV is doing every poor in the winter. May be it's a combination of winter tires, engine not having the chance to fully warm up ( I do 100% city), winter gas, ...

In the summer I easily get 20 mpg, I am now getting 16-17 mpg. It is currently -4F.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#88 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Kris, I'm looking at your Fuelly log again. Something seems to be wrong with the data. I'm looking at all 28 of the 2011 V6 RAV4's listed, and yours isn't the only one with low mileage. One named "Beluga" is averaging 16.9! Now another one called "2011 RAV4" says he's averaging 36.8 MPG!! No way!

But Kris, looking at your log book, yours seems to be the only one that shows last mpg - zero, best mpg - zero, avg price/gallon - zero, price/mile - zero.....etc. Seems like all the data isn't registering. Compare it to some of the other users logs.
"Beluga" is me. Just like RTexasF's wife, I had a 5 mile round trip commute, in city driving, and I push that v6 around like a hotwheels. So, yeah, it's been giving me 16.9 average, and I've input every single one of my fuel ups into Fuelly since the beginning. Now that I moved slightly out of town and am doing more highway driving, the average mpg is moving up into the 20s.

White 2011 V6, base with upgrades.
#89 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just has my worse mpg ever: 12.3. It's the winter city driving

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#90 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Just finished a 2800 mile 6 day trip from Tampa Bay to Avila Beach, CA. 26.2 mpg for the trip, loaded with wife, dog and luggage for 6 week job. That was the calculated mileage, total miles divided by gal bought. The display was surprisingly pretty close. Had a pretty strong head wind at least 50% of the trip. Hope to have that same wind pushing me back. I'm happy with the mileage and that power from the v6 too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page